Coaching Staff Changes

1 hour ago, Original fan '70 said:

Mentioned the name before but what about John Fassel, Special Teams Coordinator for the LA Rams.  If they do a real search, this is someone they should consider.  We don't need re-threads like Hue and Jay.

Can't see them going for another team's special teams coach.

8 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Personally, I think the only names you need to know are:

Alexander

Guenther

Gruden Jr

Haslett

Jackson

Joseph

Simmons

Zimmer

(And I only included Zimmer - the only one I'd want - as a former Bengal coach and that ain't happening)

Pretty much this.  Maybe some outside thought to new OC Lasor (sp) as an easy and transitional choice who I do not dislike as many on here.

I caught a pregame radio interview and a point he made is Mediocre Marvin is the only pro coach many of the current Bengals have ever known.   There may be some thought in the MikeandKatie inner sanctum of staying with some degree of familiarity.

However with that, there is also some degree of the old stink and mediocrity.

21 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Can't see them going for another team's special teams coach.

Don't know why they wouldn't.  John Harbaugh was a special teams coach for the Eagles when the Ravens hired him as Head Coach.

Or are you just saying that we will hire Simmons if we decide to take a Special Teams coach?

54 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Don't know why they wouldn't.  John Harbaugh was a special teams coach for the Eagles when the Ravens hired him as Head Coach.

Or are you just saying that we will hire Simmons if we decide to take a Special Teams coach?

I just think hiring a special teams coach from another team would not sit well with the fans considering so many other options both from within and elsewhere.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Its getting hot in here. 5 days! Any predictions?

Isn't going to happen but I would really like to see them wait until after the Super Bowl or AFC Playoffs and go after the Offensive or Defensive Coordinator of either the Stealers or Patriots. I think the winning tradition would do wonder for clearing out the stink in the locker room.  

I would love to see the attitude where winning the Super Bowl is the goal and benchmark rather than making the playoffs like it appears to be here.

That's kind of like wanting to date the third or fourth prettiest girl in school as a goal rather than the Homecoming Queen.

Here is the article when Marvin was hired

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/01/15/lewis15.html

Interesting note

Other candidates interviewed were Stealers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, former Jacksonville coach Tom Coughlin and Bengals assistant coaches Mark Duffner and Jim Anderson.

My guesses

Out

1. Bengals-Marvin Lewis: I hate it but I am going to say Paul Guenther. I think there will be a short list of Guenther, Haley, Simmons and Jackson and Gruden if they are let go.

2. Giants-Ben McAdoo: Steve Wilks-Panthers DC. I think that a guy from Carolina will be their GM and Wilks is a rising star.

Probably Out

3. Bears-John Fox: Pete Carmicheal is in play here as their GM was in New Orleans.

4. Colts-Chuck Pagano: My Guess Nagy or Taub and with Brissett and Luck I will guess Matt Nagy. Colts GM has ties to KC

5. Bucs-Dirk Koetter: John Gruden. I think he comes back. I think that Tony Romo success has him wanting to head back in to coaching in someway. The Booth will always be there. 

Maybe Out

Cardinals-Bruce Arians: I think Bruce Arians stays for one more year. He can have Palmer, Fitz, Johnson/Peterson and they can all kind of leave together. 

6. Browns-Hue Jackson: I think the GM gets to pick a guy and its Dave Taub

Broncos-Vance Joseph: I think Vance Joseph is back. You just don't fire someone after 1 year and the QB mess. 

Lions-Jim Caldwell: I think Jim Caldwell is back another year. 

7. Texans-Bill O’Brien: O'Brien is out and will be an intriguing candidate elsewhere. Bring in John DeFelippo to mentor Deshaun. 

8. Raiders-Jack Del Rio: Del Rio is replaced with Bill O'Brien. 

Redskins-Jay Gruden: I think Jay Gruden returns

Probably Safe

Ravens-John Harbaugh: John Harbaugh makes the playoffs and secures his job for next year. 

Cowboys-Jason Garrett: Jason Garrett stays according to Jerry. 

Packers-Mike McCarthy: Mike McCarthy gets a chance to stay with ARod back. 

Chiefs-Andy Reid: He righted the ship. Andy Reid stays. 

Dolphins-Adam Gase: Adam Gase returns. 

Jets-Todd Bowles: Todd Bowles stays after winning more than expected during tank year. 

Seahawks-Pete Carroll: Pete Carroll returns. The team might have a turnover but he loves a challenge. 

9. Titans-Mike Mularkey: This is where I see the Josh McDaniels landing spot. The GM was with the Patriots for a long time prior to working for the Bucs. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Isn't going to happen but I would really like to see them wait until after the Super Bowl or AFC Playoffs and go after the Offensive or Defensive Coordinator of either the Stealers or Patriots. I think the winning tradition would do wonder for clearing out the stink in the locker room.  

I would love to see the attitude where winning the Super Bowl is the goal and benchmark rather than making the playoffs like it appears to be here.

That's kind of like wanting to date the third or fourth prettiest girl in school as a goal rather than the Homecoming Queen.

Oc Haley of the Stealers I'm warming to. Homecoming queen isn't usually the prettiest Harry. :13_upside_down:

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

That has nothing to do with coaching.  Coaches coach to win.  They try as hard as they can.  Coaching to win in the regular season is the same as coaching to win in the postseason.

The "settling for the playoffs" is done by the front office not the coaches.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

That has nothing to do with coaching.  Coaches coach to win.  They try as hard as they can.  Coaching to win in the regular season is the same as coaching to win in the postseason.

The "settling for the playoffs" is done by the front office not the coaches.

He never said it had anything to do with coaching.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/10-college-football-coaches-line-jump-nfl-230656682.html

10 college football coaches who could be in line for a jump to the NFL

Pete Thamel,Yahoo Sports 18 hours ago 

LOS ANGELES – With Week 17 of the NFL season upon us, the annual Black Monday flurry of coaching firings will commence after this weekend. NFL executives are bracing for an unusually busy season in the coaching market, with at least a quarter of the league’s 32 head-coaching jobs expected to open.

What’s the best guess for the number of NFL openings? A safe target to set an over-under is 9.5. There’s already four jobs that are considered sure things to open – New York Giants (open), Cincinnati Bengals (open), Indianapolis Colts and Chicago Bears. There’s five jobs that are considered likely – Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals. Then there’s five jobs where there’s a chance of an opening – Houston Texans, Oakland Raiders, New York Jets, Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans. (Plus, there’s always a curveball job – Seattle Seahawks? – that no one expects to open.)

“I don’t think there’s enough candidates to fill the jobs,” said one veteran NFL coach. “Who do you hire to coach? Who’s left? Who do you hire?”

There will be some heavy recycling in NFL circles, as coaches like Eagles assistant Jim Schwartz and New England Patriots assistant Josh McDaniels appear in line to get another shot. In a copycat league, there will be a youth movement to attempt to hire the next Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. There will also be hot names like New England’s Matt Patricia, Houston’s Mike Vrabel and Detroit’s Teryl Austin and Jim Bob Cooter.

So where does that leave the college space? The odds are that an NFL franchise will at least kick the tires on a handful of college coaches.

David Shaw could be up for a head coaching job in the NFL if he decides he wants to leave his alma mater Stanford. (AP)

There’s a surprise college job that opens in virtually every coaching cycle. Think Bob Stoops suddenly stepping down at Oklahoma in 2017 or the departures of coaches like Chip Kelly, Bill O’Brien and Greg Schiano to the NFL. (And you can dig deeper to Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh and Bobby Petrino.)

The most obvious college opening that could pop this offseason is Kansas State, as Bill Snyder is defying age, health and his own legacy if he returns to Manhattan for the 2018 season. (He’d turn 79 next season and said after the Cactus Bowl on Tuesday that his future “hasn’t been decided yet.”)

There’s no obvious coach ripe to jump, as Stanford’s David Shaw is the No. 1 candidate but has shown no signs of wavering from his commitment to his alma mater. Let’s assume Nick Saban still has no interest and Jimbo Fisher isn’t movable because he just signed a guaranteed contract for $75 million. We’ll throw Washington’s Chris Petersen in that category, too, as it would be stunning if he held a job other than Washington’s head coach.

Where does that leave us? Well, here’s a look at potential top NFL targets in the college game for both this season and beyond.

1. David Shaw, Stanford

Let’s be clear here. There are no signs that Shaw has any interest in leaving Stanford. He has built the program to historic levels, the university has followed through with pristine facilities and perks like housing for assistant coaches. This may be the best coach-university marriage in all of college football. But Shaw is on this list because he is the NFL’s top target of interest, which was affirmed by Shaw being the only college coach recommended by the NFL’s career development advisory panel.
Someday, Shaw may take that call. But not soon.

2. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan

His professional pedigree from both playing and coaching is better than any college candidate. But Harbaugh comes with a warning label from administrators at Stanford and the San Francisco 49ers: Doesn’t play well with others.

Harbaugh is a tortured genius who some think would be a perfect match with eccentric Colts owner Jim Irsay. General managers in Chicago and Indianapolis may be a bit more hesitant, considering the strife with the front office in San Francisco.

His name will always be on these lists, as his track record isn’t one of longevity at one spot.

Would Jim Harbaugh leave Michigan for another shot at the NFL? (AP)

3. Brian Kelly, Notre Dame

Kelly has revived Notre Dame back from its 4-8 hiccup in 2016, and the rejuvenated staff has translated to the No. 6 recruiting class for 2018. Kelly has previously received NFL interest from the Eagles in 2013 but ultimately stuck around South Bend. He’s hitting the point entering Year 9 at Notre Dame next season where something different may be intriguing. It’s hard in modern college football, especially at a fish bowl like Notre Dame, to stay anywhere more than a decade.

4. Kyle Whittingham, Utah

Few have been more consistent and done more with less than Whittingham. His 11-1 bowl record is also comically good. He has pro-style roots and the right demeanor to handle NFL players. He’s 111-56 over 13 seasons at Utah, a remarkable run considering the Utes jumped leagues and have still managed to consistently compete at the highest level.

5. James Franklin, Penn State

Not likely to happen anytime soon, as Franklin has a contract through 2022 at Penn State and appears to finally have his roster stocked fully post-NCAA sanctions. Franklin has NFL experience, a strong reputation and has been interviewed previously for NFL head jobs. Franklin, 45, served as the Packers’ wide receivers coach in 2005. There seems to be a lot of career runway for him to eventually return to that level.

6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

He has given little indication he’d like to leave Iowa. The NFL has knocked on his door before, as he had a great reputation as an assistant coach with the Browns and Ravens. There’s nothing particularly sexy about Ferentz as a candidate, but he has run an NFL system, his teams are hard-nosed and he has as strong of a personal reputation as anyone in the business.

7. Greg Schiano, Ohio State DC

If he jumps up to the NFL to become a coordinator soon, he has a much better chance at becoming an NFL coach in the next few years than he does a college coach. The Tennessee debacle will be hard to overcome in college circles, as it unfairly shamed his name. The NFL could end up being an easier path to navigate.

8. Kirby Smart, Georgia

Before Georgia fans begin hyperventilating, this is another name for down the road. Smart money is on Smart sticking with his alma mater for a long time. But he’s only 42, which means a long and meaningful run could still yield plenty of time for Smart to try the NFL. He has a year of NFL experience with the Dolphins in 2006.

Kirby Smart’s rapid makeover of Georgia should be appealing to NFL franchises looking for a turnaround. (AP)

9. Matt Rhule, Baylor

NFL teams aren’t exactly pining for a coach who went 1-11 in college, as Rhule did at Baylor this past season. But Rhule went 20-7 the two previous years at Temple and runs a pro-style system. His public handling of cleaning up the off-field mess at Baylor has earned rave reviews in college circles. It’s easy to see him as the face of an NFL franchise, with old-school football chops and a personality that can connect with the new generation. He made a strong impression on the Giants’ brass during his year there as an assistant in 2012.

10. Matt Campbell, Iowa State

He’s got just a 10-14 career record at Iowa State. (He did go 35-15 at Toledo.) But Campbell is one of the hottest names in college and could soon generate NFL buzz. Campbell fits the NFL in style and presence. And his Mount Union pedigree will go a long way with NFL brass, considering that school’s recent success in churning out coaches. If he keeps winning in Ames, he’ll have boundless options.

The contrarian in me thinks the Brown family may not do what everyone expects.  All the "experts" predict they will only hire someone they know.  They didn't do that with Lewis.  I think they might surprise us and hire someone from the outside.  The bad part is they will make them work with their lifers like Alexander.

Archived