soP again again and again

So Marv gets 2 more years and spouts his commitment to a world championship. No emptier words.

Apparently Lewis needs another couple swings at erasing his playoff 0 at the expense of everyone else. And when he fails again, oh well. 

There is zero chance that the Bengals even sniff the Super Bowl in the next two years. I’m certain vegas will back me up. 

soP again takes the easy road. The coach he knows, no uncomfortable firing, no coach search, no new personalities to deal with. Least possible effort. 

It’s shameful to think there’s not a deserving coordinator who not only could do better but is his due his shot just like Marvin was 15 years ago. soP’s loyalty is not anything to admire here. Irresponsible. Reckless. 

Disappointing, pitiful, shameful. soP does a couple nice things (Devon Still) wiped out by macro shortsightedness. 

I swear I could copy/paste this from the past 4 boards we’ve traveled (looking at you LeTigre and Numbers). Same old same old. 

I’m only mad that I had to type this yet again.

Is it 2020 yet? 

24 minutes ago, Harley said:

There is zero chance that the Bengals even sniff the Super Bowl in the next two years. I’m certain vegas will back me up.

http://www.gambling911.com/football-news/early-odds-win-2018-super-bowl-.html

Meh... +5000 is still middle of the pack. And that was before Marvin was resigned.

Those odds are for this year’s SB. Even if they were for 2019, +5000 isn’t exactly a favorite. 

I so wish people understood odds. Our team could be the 72 dolphins next year and have wore odds than the cowboys to win the super bowl. While odds are some what based on a teams predicted performance they are more so representative of the idea of a bettors preference. So if team x should win but team why has more fans and potential bettors in their favor team y will get better odds.

It's always all about the money

I so wish people understood odds. Our team could be the 72 dolphins next year and have wore odds than the cowboys to win the super bowl. While odds are some what based on a teams predicted performance they are more so representative of the idea of a bettors preference. So if team x should win but team why has more fans and potential bettors in their favor team y will get better odds.

It's always all about the money

True to a point and more true that it’s a
balancing act of where money is bet. However, there is a foundation of validity in odds.

If our team was the 72 dolphins and then kept the team in tact the following year we would be heavy favorites that next year.

The 2018-19 Bengals will not have odds of a Super Bowl favorites not because they’re unpopular. It will be because they aren’t good enough to even reach the Super Bowl.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:03 PM, Harley said:

Those odds are for this year’s SB. Even if they were for 2019, +5000 isn’t exactly a favorite. 

Next year is within 2 years, and you said Vegas would give us 0 chance, not "make us the favorite". (FYI, usually defending champs are the favorite)

The Vegas odds are the same for us as the Redskins. Bills and Jags are both +10000 and they made the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, Harley said:

As such, the vegas odds in this same period will not be those of a projected super bowl winner.

How is this different if we hired someone other than Marvin? Do you think they'd be clamoring to annoit us champions if we had hired Hue Jackson? Do you think they'd do that even if we hired Bellichik?

The Vegas odds would only favor us to be a Super Bowl winner AFTER we have accomplished much more than would make the fans happy.

51 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

How is this different if we hired someone other than Marvin? Do you think they'd be clamoring to annoit us champions if we had hired Hue Jackson? Do you think they'd do that even if we hired Bellichik?

The Vegas odds would only favor us to be a Super Bowl winner AFTER we have accomplished much more than would make the fans happy.

I think Marvin’s words are hollow and he is no longer effective. I don’t believe he can get us to the SB. I do believe in the possibility of doing better with new fire.  

To underscore my feelings on ML I simply pointed to vegas odds not reflecting that of a SB contender. 

A change in coaching may have changed this over the next two years but we will never know. 

Horse beaten. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, Harley said:

So Marv gets 2 more years and spouts his commitment to a world championship. No emptier words.

Apparently Lewis needs another couple swings at erasing his playoff 0 at the expense of everyone else. And when he fails again, oh well. 

soP again takes the easy road. The coach he knows, no uncomfortable firing, no coach search, no new personalities to deal with. Least possible effort. 

It’s shameful to think there’s not a deserving coordinator who not only could do better but is his due his shot just like Marvin was 15 years ago. soP’s loyalty is not anything to admire here. Irresponsible. Reckless. 

Disappointing, pitiful, shameful. soP does a couple nice things (Devon Still) wiped out by macro shortsightedness. 

I swear I could copy/paste this from the past 4 boards we’ve traveled (looking at you LeTigre and Numbers). Same old same old. 

I’m only mad that I had to type this yet again.

Is it 2020 yet? 

Harley, you laugh and you have earned that right.  It's been a long strange trip but does seem a lot like groundhog day.  The original incarnation of the Enquirer Board (not the subsequent versions) had its usefulness but this board is ran by Bengal Fans and not "other team fans" who could care less about what a "real" Bengal fan is going through or has been through.  I have my old computer from those days still (I guess I'm a hoarder) and have copy and pasted entire months of the old board (it used to include IP#s).  One of these days I'll prove that this is indeed a copy and paste from years past (by some pretty witty writers/creative posters).  A few of them exist on another board ran by Paul Brown Bengal and others.

I will say that Marvin Lewis is not like Bruce Coslet, Dickless Lebeau, Shula, Tiger Johnson, etc...  It's difficult to compare his length of mediocrity with another coach because apparently most coaches that fail to even deliver ONE playoff win in 15 years or so would have been fired a long time ago... 

I stand by for the inevitable mentions of Mike Brown's loyalty to coaches is a result of his fathers release by Modell...  While I'm waiting, remember Bill Walsh and what happened to him when he WAS here...  Then the Tiger Johnson years.  Someone should have kicked that man in his nuts before he was able to give birth to the spawn of Satan.  Heinz Field was accomplished by his son...  Etc...  My list is endless but my memory is sometimes faulty, thanks for the reminders Harley or Hobson as I used to call you...

dreveil01.jpg

mb02.jpg

brown01.jpg

mikemarvin2019.jpg

cartoon02.jpg

Mike Brown probably thought one of the former assistant coaches (Gruden, Hue, Joseph) would get shit canned this off season and he wasn't prepared when that didn't happen.  He settled on Plan B to bring back Marvin because he refused to consider options from outside who might demand real changes to the chintzy way he runs the team.  The lip service about winning championships was funny to hear and it's even funnier that literally no one believes it.  Mediocrity is the best we can hope for as long as he's in charge.

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mediocrity is the best we can hope for as long as he's in charge.

Mediocrity.  "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."  In other words, even though we are faced with mediocrity it's still possible to get lucky and exceed the mediocre standard.   For that one lucky season is what I want. 

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

No problem.  I'll have it for a winter time project.

I will await the rollout with joy. Those were the days where we actually had something to complain about. You, USN, Harley, PBB, Alice, Hint, Hair, Scharm...so many others scattered all over now. Won't ever forget those times. 

9 hours ago, Numbers said:

Mediocrity.  "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."  In other words, even though we are faced with mediocrity it's still possible to get lucky and exceed the mediocre standard.   For that one lucky season is what I want. 

Statistics prove squirrels find nuts via a sense of smell much like Squeeler fans find shit, not sight.

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Statistics prove squirrels find nuts via a sense of smell much like Squeeler fans find shit, not sight.

Well Dilly Dilly.  Hopefully we can smell the end zone more frequently next year...  🤡  otherwise it's off to the pit of misery... 

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mike Brown probably thought one of the former assistant coaches (Gruden, Hue, Joseph) would get shit canned this off season and he wasn't prepared when that didn't happen.  He settled on Plan B to bring back Marvin because he refused to consider options from outside who might demand real changes to the chintzy way he runs the team.  The lip service about winning championships was funny to hear and it's even funnier that literally no one believes it.  Mediocrity is the best we can hope for as long as he's in charge.

From what I can tell, lifting the TV blackout rules for non-sellout games removed any immediate cash incentive for his team to do anything more than show up at the appointed time & go through the motions.  Apparently PBS had the 3rd worst attendance in the NFL last season yet his response was to retain the HC on a 2-year contract.  This is an owner content to cash TV royalty checks & suckle from the league's matching funds & profit sharing teat.   They ran the numbers and realized an extra 20k tickets sold over a season wouldn't do more than maybe cover a couple of FA contracts.  It's like expecting your local White Castle to start serving prime rib. That's simply not how they run things.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:42 AM, BENGALS666 said:

This fuckin team has been in purgatory since the moment Hill fumbled the ball 1/10/16

That was the 'blow it all up' moment. 

No amount of spoiler-ball saves this regime for this fan.

Not until Marvin is gone.

Truth. Krumrie’s broken leg, Carson targeted knee and Hill’s fucking dumbass fumble. Now we get Marv ball back for two more years after so much hope for change. Why do I still love my Bengals despite my original & hometown team (LA Rams) doing great and being progressive and making huge changes (Hiring McVay, Whitworth, playing Tavon Austin only in garbage time, etc)? Sigh...

Archived