I just read the latest Hobson article and I’m trying to figure out what changes they seem to want to make.

Within the article, Hobson mentions that they will try to keep Guenther today, they are currently trying to re-sign Simmons, and Marvin is seeming to indicate that he would like Lazor back.

Can someone tell me how ANYTHING changes when you’re  trying to keep the head coach and ALL 3 COORDINATORS?!?!?

so what changes?

On the offesnisive side of the ball, the coaching staff seems to all be Marvin choices (except PA). 

On defense, was Marvin not the one who chose Burney, and Haslett?

That seems far-fetched. 

12 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I just read the latest Hobson article and I’m trying to figure out what changes they seem to want to make.

Within the article, Hobson mentions that they will try to keep Guenther today, they are currently trying to re-sign Simmons, and Marvin is seeming to indicate that he would like Lazor back.

Can someone tell me how ANYTHING changes when you’re  trying to keep the head coach and ALL 3 COORDINATORS?!?!?

so what changes?

On the offesnisive side of the ball, the coaching staff seems to all be Marvin choices (except PA). 

That seems far-fetched. 

Nothing is changing.   I don't know why anyone thinks it will.  It sounds like Paul G wants to leave and go to Oakland er Los Angeles uhh I mean Vegas.  If Gruden does get hired and wants Paul that would a huge upgrade for Gunther going to the media darling Raiders in a new home in Vegas.  Gotta be crazy to stay here too long.

Getting a new coach takes hard work and lots of interviews.   Mike Brown has better things to do. 

Yeah I mentioned something similar in another thread, I don't really understand all of these "changes" we are supposed to be seeing. Getting a new waterboy doesn't really give me much faith for 2018.

Mike, Katie, Tobin, and Marvin are the top layer and they're all still here.

3 Coordinators are next and all are expected to return or at least receive offers to return.

Honestly though, these are the kinds of "changes" you have to expect from the Bengals. In the Hobspin article it literally said "Going by Lewis’ effusive praise of incumbent offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, he could be sticking with him, which is basically a new hire." LOLOLOLOLOL can't make this shit up

Like, I get what Hob is trying to say with that, but would we see bullshit like that statement in any sports franchise not named Cincinnati???

56 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

"We didn't extend Marvin, we let his contract expire before giving him a new one, which is basically a new hire" - Geoff Hobspin, probably.

So he was fired? And re-hired? Don't tell Fred.

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

so what changes?

That seems far-fetched. 

can you tell me how anything changes no matter what coaches you bring with the same players?

not like andy is tom brady just waiting for an OC to come out of his shell. hill will be running out the door, lafell isnt very good, we just fucked ourselves from the 5th pick to the 12th, the line is going to get a few new pieces...

so there will be some change alright... hopefully mixon can pick up all of the protections properly by next year and be the go to guy.. gio is nothing special, there are 10 Gios in the league and 10 more in the draft. 

im not sure green has a ton of passion for winning. he isnt even a top 10 WR statistically. i think maybe 1 of the last 3 seasons. and 3 times his whole career. 

the offense is boring and its effectiveness is based on how poorly the defense can cover small fast screen passes. it succeeds when andy can drop the ball into a Hawkins type players hands in the shotgun and let him run it for 30 yards for a TD.

51 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

can you tell me how anything changes no matter what coaches you bring with the same players?

not like andy is tom brady just waiting for an OC to come out of his shell. hill will be running out the door, lafell isnt very good, we just fucked ourselves from the 5th pick to the 12th, the line is going to get a few new pieces...

so there will be some change alright... hopefully mixon can pick up all of the protections properly by next year and be the go to guy.. gio is nothing special, there are 10 Gios in the league and 10 more in the draft. 

im not sure green has a ton of passion for winning. he isnt even a top 10 WR statistically. i think maybe 1 of the last 3 seasons. and 3 times his whole career. 

the offense is boring and its effectiveness is based on how poorly the defense can cover small fast screen passes. it succeeds when andy can drop the ball into a Hawkins type players hands in the shotgun and let him run it for 30 yards for a TD.

That's pretty much what West Coast Offenses do.

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Marvin without PA rather than PA being inevitably stuck here with a new HC.

I think it's really unlikely that Mike would have let a new coach come in and get rid of Alexander so maybe Marvin returning isn't such a bad thing since this actually happened.

With PA gone that could literally change the entire offense.  We COULD go to a zone blocking scheme which I think would fit most of our line better (Ced, Boling, Westerman).  Bodine has weight room strength and sucks in space so I'm not sure any scheme would help him. Of course, I may just be overly optimistic.  

Also per the press conference, Marvin alludes to being more active in free agency and finding better talent from other NFL teams.

Simmons is staying, Lazor is staying.

Guenther could be gone, no guarantee the team sticks with the 4-3 defense we've been used to seeing for quite some time

Lazor, Simmons, ??? (DC) will be able to help choose position coaches

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Also per the press conference, Marvin alludes to being more active in free agency and finding better talent from other NFL teams.

That makes it look like Marvin had some conditions to re-signing, but we'll see.

8 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

They're also going to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-commit to the running game & maybe get the band back together

12 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That makes it look like Marvin had some conditions to re-signing, but we'll see.

Making guesstimations based on what we've heard and seen happen - 

Marvin really wanted PA gone specifically, he seems fine with most other coaches on the staff, he wants slightly more expensive FAs but still wants to build through the draft, he wants more control over draft picks (to prevent something like John Ross being taken which he obviously hated that pick at 9).

20 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They're also going to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-commit to the running game & maybe get the band back together

Well, if you look at the statistics the last 5 games of the season, it looks like they did.  

26 minutes ago, membengal said:

I am wondering if we now know who to blame for the Ogbuehi/Fisher picks and being so slow to get Westerman some time this year...

Please

He’s the head coach!

If he wanted Westerman to play, he could've.

If Alexander was ruling over the head coach, then the head coach probably shoukd’ve resigned. 

Not looking forward to seeing Michael Johnson, Pat Sims, Andre Smith, Vinny Rey, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Brandon Lafell back for ANOTHER year. 

Archived