Paul Alexander gone!!

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I guess we'll see how well-respected around the league he is when he hires on as the new Poughkeepsie High JV assistant groundskeeper. 

Poughkeepsie High called, they are suing you for slander... and they want your Varsity letter for AV club back.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

I just don't see any talent on our line.  Unless we open the wallet on free agency I fear we won't be much better next year.   Mixon is a nice running back but he isn't a game changer.  3.5 yds per carry is nothing to write home about.   Everyone else besides AJ Green are mediocre at best.   Our offense simply has no standout talent besides Green.

I fucking hate the Stealers.  That said, is there any starter on our offense they would swap  on a position by position basis? 

#1 WR Brown vs Green?   

#2 & 3 WR Douche bag Ju-Ju or Bryant  vs Boyd or Lafell?    Maybe Lafell over a knucklehead but Bryant has more talent.

TE James vs Kroft maybe a wash? 

RB? LOL 

QB? LOL

Anybody on the offensive line?

Alexander being gone doesn't fix our biggest problem which is a huge talent gap against the better teams in the league on offense. 

I agree that there is a WIDE talent gap on offense between the Bengals and Stealers. I think Mixon is going to be a very good RB and with Bernard and a short yardage back will provide a solid RB group (obviously not as good as Bell).

This is good move (Alexander) but in no way shape or form does it make up for the return of Marvin Lewis.

The only way to get back to winning quickly is spending some cash on quality free agents and an above average draft. The draft alone cannot spackle all the holes.

Alexander: But, Mike, it's been 15 years and I've done good work for you.

Brown: Whatever Paul, I'm not paying for a god damned piano tuner to come to Georgetown next year.

Alexander: I'm going to have to insist...

Brown: And I'll insist you get out of my fucking office right now. Besides, I think Bill Lazor has a son around the right age.

7 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Alexander: But, Mike, it's been 15 years and I've done good work for you.

Brown: Whatever Paul, I'm not paying for a god damned piano tuner to come to Georgetown next year.

Alexander: I'm going to have to insist...

Brown: And I'll insist you get out of my fucking office right now. Besides, I think Bill Lazor has a son around the right age.

Dude, as if..  You know it was 45 minutes of ol' Musty beating around the bush, some sniveling, another 45 minutes of "we had some good times" and "it's not you it's us" then finally the hammer, but wrapped in a heavy layer of "blame Marvin, I'm still a Very Good Boy" followed by assurances he would find another spot for him if his new gig coaching the Des Moines Shufflin' Seniors bocce ball team falls through & an invitation to help himself to the caramels in the dish by the door on his way out.  

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

I just don't see any talent on our line.  Unless we open the wallet on free agency I fear we won't be much better next year.   Mixon is a nice running back but he isn't a game changer.  3.5 yds per carry is nothing to write home about.   Everyone else besides AJ Green are mediocre at best.   Our offense simply has no standout talent besides Green.

I fucking hate the Stealers.  That said, is there any starter on our offense they would swap  on a position by position basis? 

#1 WR Brown vs Green?   

#2 & 3 WR Douche bag Ju-Ju or Bryant  vs Boyd or Lafell?    Maybe Lafell over a knucklehead but Bryant has more talent.

RB? LOL 

QB? LOL

Alexander being gone doesn't fix our biggest problem which is a huge talent gap against the better teams in the league on offense. 

To be fair, the Stealers have the best RB, WR, QB combo in the league.  If you do that same exercise with say, the Vikings or the Pats it's a little more even.  Not saying they don't have more talent than us, but AJ and Gio (IMO) are better than any WR or RB for the Pat or Vikings.

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

If Paul Alexander was really in charge of the running game too, well then, happiness times infinity that he's gone. 

It's more of the fact that Barry Sanders is kind of difficult to find, so the 99% of other NFL team configurations in history have all needed a somewhat high performing OL to have success in the run game. I'm sure Assistant Head Coach™ Alexander had his hands in more than just the OL, he pretty much had full control of the line which directly affects the run game.

If we can hire a guy that won't stand on a table to trade up for the worst center possible, we may be in better shape than we are right now. We may even be able to find a guy that can coach up the shitters we end up drafting.

4 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

To be fair, the Stealers have the best RB, WR, QB combo in the league.  If you do that same exercise with say, the Vikings or the Pats it's a little more even.  Not saying they don't have more talent than us, but AJ and Gio (IMO) are better than any WR or RB for the Pat or Vikings.

#1 WR Brandon Cooks v AJ Green  Stats are similar and Cooks is only 24 years old

#2 WR Danny Amendola vs Lafell pretty much a push

#3 WR Boyd is better than whatever they have

TE: Gonk obviously

QB: Brady obviously 

Offensive line. Only position NE is currently weak at is right tackle due to Marcus Cannon being injured but their subs were better than our starter. Cannon is WAY better than what we have.  Their line is light years better than ours. 

RB: Dion Lewis vs Mixon  Lewis averaged 5.0 a carry compared to Mixon at 3.5 although I think Mixon will be better. 

OC Josh McDaniels vs Bill Lazor.   Laugh.

Again, New England has probably 2 HOF players currently on their team and the rest of the parts are all QUALITY players other than their backup RT. 

21 hours ago, SF2 said:

#1 WR Brown vs Green?   

RB? LOL 

QB? LOL

A lot of those high powered teams on offense would trade a lot of their starters on defense for ours on a position by position basis. Dunlap, Geno, WJIII, Dennard, Iloka, Burfict, Lawson are all guys these teams would love to have. Hell, some of those great offensive teams would love to have Dre Kirk or Shawn Williams in place of what they have. No team can have superstars everywhere is my point here. I hate to sound like I'm defending anyone in the front office or coaching staff but building an NFL team is a lot easier to talk about than it is to actually do it.

Andy, Gio, Mixon, AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Kroft, Boling - those guys are good enough to win games with. Our defense as a whole is good enough to win games with. We're a few pieces away from being considered one of the better teams in the league again and I really do think getting Alexander's brain (or lack thereof) away from the room come FA and draft time when it comes to linemen is going to really help. His lovefest for Bodine and the drafting of Ogbuehi and Fisher has really shown how out of touch he is lately. Not to mention low round draft picks and UDFAs not developing into anything outside of Clint Boling how many years ago?

If the OL gets fixed I really do think our offense will be fine. Not 2015 good, but they'll at least be good enough to Be Competitive™ which would be a helluva lot better than being 31st or 32nd in the league in every category.

27 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Andy, Gio, Mixon, AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Kroft, Boling - those guys are good enough to win games with. Our defense as a whole is good enough to win games with. We're a few pieces away from being considered one of the better teams in the league again and I really do think getting Alexander's brain (or lack thereof) away from the room come FA and draft time when it comes to linemen is going to really help. His lovefest for Bodine and the drafting of Ogbuehi and Fisher has really shown how out of touch he is lately. Not to mention low round draft picks and UDFAs not developing into anything outside of Clint Boling how many years ago?

The scary thing is how much better Bodine is than Eric Ghiaciuc was.  Ghiaciuc was a starter for 3 years and was a total disaster!  Alexander has a history of sticking with terrible players if they are "his guys" I suppose.  Good riddance to  someone who has been a bad coach for quite a few years.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

A lot of those high powered teams on offense would trade a lot of their starters on defense for ours on a position by position basis. Dunlap, Geno, WJIII, Dennard, Iloka, Burfict, Lawson are all guys these teams would love to have. Hell, some of those great offensive teams would love to have Dre Kirk or Shawn Williams in place of what they have. No team can have superstars everywhere is my point here. I hate to sound like I'm defending anyone in the front office or coaching staff but building an NFL team is a lot easier to talk about than it is to actually do it.

If the OL gets fixed I really do think our offense will be fine. Not 2015 good, but they'll at least be good enough to Be Competitive™ which would be a helluva lot better than being 31st or 32nd in the league in every category.

I totally agree that on the defensive side of the ball we have quality players that many teams would swap for.  

The issue of course is you can't have even marginal backups  start 4 of your 5 offensive line positions.  Just not possible to be successful unless you have a Russell Wilson type QB and a sick defense.  

Andy, Gio, Lafell, Boyd, Kroft and Boling are average at best players position wise.  Each are easily replaceable other than Andy since even average QBs are hard to come by.   Jury still out on Mixon. AJ is what he is.  Even with Eifert, Whit, Zeitler, Jones, Sanu, Green, Andre Smith, Gio and Hill the team was only 7th in points and 15th in yards in 2015.   Its hard to believe  we can ever do much better than that with an average QB.   

2013 and 2015 was our best shot and even with Andy hurt, McCarron was good enough to win us a playoff game,..but didn't in 2015. We had the defense to make a run at the end of the season but Jeremy Hill shit the bed.

Archived