Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Jamie_B

Potential Paul Alexander replacements

Recommended Posts

Just now, schotzee said:

Willie Anderson

Wont happen unless he is an assistant. Lazor said he wants an experienced coach, Willie isnt that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Wont happen unless he is an assistant. Lazor said he wants an experienced coach, Willie isnt that.

Ahh. Didn't know Lazor said that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Ahh. Didn't know Lazor said that.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexanders-departure-signals-change-in-run-game/8bf651dc-520e-43e8-bf96-56a2d8d32bdb

 

It was a line in Hobson's article on Alexander.....

" McNally, 74, is a consultant for the Bengals and has been mentioned as a possible candidate. Lazor said he’s looking for a guy that has coached in the league. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Looking for a guy that has coached in the league" is tough because your options are basically someone who has been fired either recently that fits the bill of OL assistant (not really options there) or that has been entirely out of the league for some time.

 

Teams with a good OL coach aren't going to let them leave for a lateral move or they wouldn't want to leave for a lateral move.

 

College coaches (not head coaches, but coordinators or assistants that are OL specialists) would be the best bet if you don't want a dinosaur in McNally. I can't really think of a single option right now if you have to hire someone that's already coached in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

College coaches (not head coaches, but coordinators or assistants that are OL specialists)

With the amount of spread offenses in the college game... They're already talking about drafted linemen not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground.

Munchak and Kugler have already been signed...

We'll wind up with that guy the Dolphions had to fire after video of him snorting a "strange white power" surfaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:



We'll wind up with that guy the Dolphions had to fire after video of him snorting a "strange white power" surfaced.

 

Sounds like he needs some redeeming!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

With the amount of spread offenses in the college game... They're already talking about drafted linemen not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground.

 

Right, and I definitely don't have the time to do the research, but there has to be more than a few teams that run a more pro style offense that have good (or potentially good) coaches.

 

I'm just saying I don't think prior NFL OL coaching experience is going to be very easy to come by if that's exactly what Lazor wants. I get not wanting a guy that comes exclusively from the outburst of spread offenses, but there are still some college teams that run a "normal" offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

But can he afford his coke habit on what Mike Brown pays.... Hmmmm....

 

 

Isn't he the one who knocked up some Vegas instagram "model/entertainer"?  I'm sure Pacman could provide him the sort of quality mentoring and advice that made him such a leader on defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

 

Right, and I definitely don't have the time to do the research, but there has to be more than a few teams that run a more pro style offense that have good (or potentially good) coaches.

 

I'm just saying I don't think prior NFL OL coaching experience is going to be very easy to come by if that's exactly what Lazor wants. I get not wanting a guy that comes exclusively from the outburst of spread offenses, but there are still some college teams that run a "normal" offense.

 

I thought he just said "NFL coaching experience"?  That could mean an assistant long snapper coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

I thought he just said "NFL coaching experience"?  That could mean an assistant long snapper coach.

 

Yeah that's very true lol I do and don't understand why that's his requirement though. I get it for the obvious reasons but I don't get it because where are those options even at? Again, no time for all of the research but I know a lot of the bigger schools OL coaches haven't been in the NFL as of yet. Notre Dame's coach was the Bears OL coach for 4 or 5 years, but most of the others I've been looking into have been high school and college exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

"Looking for a guy that has coached in the league" is tough because your options are basically someone who has been fired either recently that fits the bill of OL assistant (not really options there) or that has been entirely out of the league for some time.

 

Teams with a good OL coach aren't going to let them leave for a lateral move or they wouldn't want to leave for a lateral move.

 

College coaches (not head coaches, but coordinators or assistants that are OL specialists) would be the best bet if you don't want a dinosaur in McNally. I can't really think of a single option right now if you have to hire someone that's already coached in the NFL.

You can look to teams that have lost their HC where the staff would move on with a new HC.

 

Weston has been keeping a list of those guys in a different thread. I think I like Mike Tice who was the Raiders Oline coach this past season but now that Del Rio is gone I imagine a new coach will want his own guys, but not 100% sold on him either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harold Goodwin seems like a good fit. And then Tice. And Bickwell from Ole Miss. Not super exctied about him though. 

 

FWIW Philbin in Indy

2017 R18 P32

2016 R2 P28

 

So as you said. BAD!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Greg Austin would seem like a good, sensible coach.

He's been on the same staff as Bill Lazor in the past.

Not sure if we would be willing to back out of his agreement with Nebraska, however. 

 

 

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211688385

 

 

 

I doubt it, i think he will follow Scott Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Harold Goodwin Cards rank

 

2017 R17 P25

2016 R7 P21

2015 R3 P5

2014 R24 P6

2013 R17 P13

2015 is his best year, the others Im not overly excited about. Does he have any relationships with any of the current coaching staff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O-line coaches on teams whose head coaches were fired

 

Bears...Jeremiah Washburn..Only one year experience as O-line coach....http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/Jeremiah-Washburn/d944d39c-1c53-41f1-aff5-e80d5da0d3e8

 

Cards...Larry Zierlien...Many years of experience including Stealers O-line coach '07-'09, Browns O-line coach "01-'04.... http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/larry-zierlein/e6c2c933-a9b8-4f53-b894-055699a5cfc8

 

Raiders...Mike Tice...Former Head Coach of Vikings.  Extensive resume as O-line coach with multiple teams.... http://www.raiders.com/team/coaches/Mike-Tice/c8f0d85f-0d46-4ef2-b491-e067f0495645

 

Lions...Michael McCarthy...Only 1 year experience as O-line coach, only 3 years of NFL experience... http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches/michael-mccarthy/b017529e-7aea-40ca-a3ed-884f32a77800

 

Colts...Joe Philbin...Former Dolphins head coach... http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches/michael-mccarthy/b017529e-7aea-40ca-a3ed-884f32a77800

 

Colts...Joe Gilbert...Only 5 years NFL experience... http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches/michael-mccarthy/b017529e-7aea-40ca-a3ed-884f32a77800

 

Giants...Mike Solari...Best resume of the group....Extensive O-line experience with Niners, Seahawks and Chiefs... In Solari’s 18 seasons serving as an NFL team’s primary offensive line coach, his players combined for 25 Pro Bowl appearances and at least one of his players was selected to the Pro Bowl in 15 of those seasons.... http://www.giants.com/team/coaches/mike-solari/57832a7b-12b6-4be5-a71e-acf32c642e26

 

Giants...Lunda Wells...Assistant O-line coach...Only 5 years NFL experience...http://www.giants.com/team/coaches/tom-quinn/9110a6c8-4f9c-4760-a11e-2e277f765edc

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...