Andrew Norwell

Wonder if he (or Boling) would be a fit at RT in that scenario?  I think if we spend money in FA on the OL it should be for a C &/or OT.  I'm really getting to like what I see from Redmon at RG (or maybe OC?).  Don't think we'll find a solid LT in FA (teams aren't letting the good ones hit FA) - probably will need a draft pick there.  Boling has looked surprisingly good the last couple of games, but can't see him as a long-term solution.

12 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Hate this. Would rather build through draft. I'm not paying 9 million for an at best average guard.

Are you blackout drunk 24/7 or just always trolling? 

Norwell is the best LG in football right now. What a goofball statement to call him average. Lol what the fuck planet is this dude on. 

WTS, we aren't going after a guy that will be the highest paid G in this free agent class. Just not happening. 

21 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Norwell is the best LG in football right now. What a goofball statement to call him average. Lol what the fuck planet is this dude on. 

WTS, we aren't going after a guy that will be the highest paid G in this free agent class. Just not happening. 

Right. If that was a possibility, we wouldn't need him since we would've signed Zeitler last off-season.

15 hours ago, snarkster said:

Wonder if he (or Boling) would be a fit at RT in that scenario?  I think if we spend money in FA on the OL it should be for a C &/or OT.  I'm really getting to like what I see from Redmon at RG (or maybe OC?).  Don't think we'll find a solid LT in FA (teams aren't letting the good ones hit FA) - probably will need a draft pick there.  Boling has looked surprisingly good the last couple of games, but can't see him as a long-term solution.

some teams do.. or at least one I can think of

36 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Glad someone noticed he's from Cincinnati....jeesh.

Well that changes everything!

j/k

There is a 0% chance that Mike Brown pays Norwell. The only way we end up with an elite guard is to draft him and have his rights for a few years on a rookie contract. No chance big money is thrown at the position in FA. I could see them actually trying to sign someone like Solder before Norwell.

I actually believe that the Bengals will sign a starter for the O-line in free agency this year.  But it will not be a Left Tackle or the highest paid OG.

Someone better than our usual "bottom of the barrel" type guys, but not the highest paid either.  Some one like Antwan Odom.

52 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

j/k

There is a 0% chance that Mike Brown pays Norwell. The only way we end up with an elite guard is to draft him and have his rights for a few years on a rookie contract. No chance big money is thrown at the position in FA. I could see them actually trying to sign someone like Solder before Norwell.

27 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I actually believe that the Bengals will sign a starter for the O-line in free agency this year.  But it will not be a Left Tackle or the highest paid OG.

Someone better than our usual "bottom of the barrel" type guys, but not the highest paid either.  Some one like Antwan Odom.

I disagree, I think Marvin in his press conference kind of inferred he convinced Brown to start doing this. I seriously believe it was part of his condition to sign an extension. I don't think they'll go redskins in 2000 type stuff. But I firmly believe this team will sign a a very good start along the 0-line and a decent LB to help fill depth at that position, there's like 10 pretty decent starting LB's that are going to hit the market. I also think Efiert will be re-signed.

I really think the next 2 seasons will be the Bengals window of opportunity to at least win an AFC championship. I think the Stealers and ravens are going downward and i think the Browns in 2 years will be a serious threat with the draft picks that have assembled for this years draft. I also think the rest of the AFC isn't very good, we could be a complete team next season with some smart moves. Only team i'll fear is the pats, until brady retires.

4 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I disagree, I think Marvin in his press conference kind of inferred he convinced Brown to start doing this. I seriously believe it was part of his condition to sign an extension. I don't think they'll go redskins in 2000 type stuff. But I firmly believe this team will sign a a very good start along the 0-line and a decent LB to help fill depth at that position, there's like 10 pretty decent starting LB's that are going to hit the market. I also think Efiert will be re-signed.

I really think the next 2 seasons will be the Bengals window of opportunity to at least win an AFC championship. I think the Stealers and ravens are going downward and i think the Browns in 2 years will be a serious threat with the draft picks that have assembled for this years draft. I also think the rest of the AFC isn't very good, we could be a complete team next season with some smart moves. Only team i'll fear is the pats, until brady retires.

Lol I guess if people keep saying this for 15 more years that you'll eventually be able to say "HA! Told ya so!!!" just don't be surprised when people pull up quotes of you being wrong every other year that it doesn't happen.

Same old, same old. I've heard that every year is the window of opportunity, Stealers are always "on the decline", every year we're going to go out and sign that player to make the difference, blah blah blah blah blah

33 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

They'll absolutely sign a player that will start on the line in free agency. That's almost a 100% chance.

I just hope it's someone worth starting. :mellow: Our 2017 week 1 line was so bad that we'd be able to improve it on the cheap, I just hope they go at least an extra step forward and try to make a big improvement in 1-2 spots.

When I mentioned Antwan Odom I think a lot of people just remember how he played here, but Odom was actually a highly rated free agents being pursued by multiple teams.  In 2007 $30 million for 5 years was a decent contract for a starting DE.  We also paid Nate Clements over $5 million a year in 2011.

I think we will sign at least one free agent who is a solid starter.  It sounds lame to get excited about something like that, but it is a rare occurrence with the Bengals.

23 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW.

Marvin sucked you right in, didn't he?

You know what's really odd?

I believe they will do more in FA than they have ever done... and this coming from one of the most jaded sumbitches around.

Think about it... the ONLY way they have a chance at bringing an extremely pissed off fan base back is to do something they have never really done.

Real difference makers in FA.

I even feel like I'm hallucinating just typing this, but for some weird ass reason I really think they will at least try to bring in the big names out there to fill our positions of need.

Of course, if they don't do jack shit like they usually don't, I won't be surprised at all... just something tells me they will.

19 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

They'll absolutely sign a player that will start on the line in free agency. That's almost a 100% chance.

I just hope it's someone worth starting. :mellow: Our 2017 week 1 line was so bad that we'd be able to improve it on the cheap, I just hope they go at least an extra step forward and try to make a big improvement in 1-2 spots.

Our week 1 line would've been improved by Rod Jones...

1/2 ninja

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

j/k

We could always go the Bobbie Williams route and find a young backup who wants to start.

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

LOL average Norwell just named to all-pro team. Was also highest rated guard in football according to PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2017-pff-nfl-all-pro-team

Free Agents

QB         Mike Glennon-Bears CC    
RB         Andre Ellington-Cards Rex Burkhead-Pats Matt Jones-Colts
FB              
WR         Jeremy-Kerley-Jets    
WR         John Brown-Cards    
WR              
TE         Troy Niklas-Cards Julius Thomas-Dolphins CC  
LT Nate Solder-Patriots Donald Penn-Raiders     Seantrel Henderson-Bills Ty Nsekhe-Redskins  
LG Andrew Norwell-Panthers Evan Smith-Bucs     Joe Looney-Cowboys Jack Mewhort-Colts Alex Boone-Cardinals
C Ryan Jensen-Ravens Zach Fulton-Chiefs Daniel Kilgore-49ers Weston Richburg-Giants      
RG Senio Kelemente-Saints Josh Kline-Titans     Jahri Evans-Packers Joe Berger-Vikings Brandon Fusco-49ers
RT Chris Hubbard-Stealers Justin Pugh-Giants Zach Strief-Saints CC   DJ Fluker-Giants Austin Pastzor-Falcons  

K              
P              
LS              

LE         Jared Crick-Broncos    
NT         Haloti Ngata-Lions    
RE              
OLB Korey Toomer-Chargers Nigel Bradham-Eagles     Josh Bynes-Cardinals    
ILB Zach Brown-Redskins       Justin March-Lillard-Cowboys    
ILB         Zaire Anderson-Broncos (r)    
OLB              
S Kemal Ishmael-Falcons            
S