4 int

Joe Flacco's 2018 Playoff games:

0.0 completion percentage

0 yards per game

0 TD

0 INT

5 Broken TV remotes

Just now, schotzee said:

If he would have broken at least one television, that would be mvp like numbers.

He still has time. If the Bills win, I think Flacco can get there. Word has it that he's dug out his old CRT TV's from his basement and is practicing on them.

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It doesn't prove that at all.  Dalton has played poorly in every playoff game in his career and he has been a major reason they lost each of those games.  He might play better if he makes it back, but personally I doubt it.  The fact that Flacco won multiple playoff games with crappy numbers doesn't increase my faith in Dalton the next time around.  Both of them are thoroughly mediocre QB's with the main difference being Flacco's postseason success.  Dalton has none to speak of.

Boomer Esiason's passing numbers in the '88 postseason are far worse than Dalton's postseason stats, yet Boomer is a god among many people here because that '88 Super Bowl team had the #1 rushing game in the league.

From the very first post of this thread I have admitted that dalton has played poorly in all four playoff games, but the fact is i have seen him play enough very good games against very good teams to make me believe he can win in the playoffs.

Here is a list of the QBs Dalton has beaten head-to-head when those opposing teams were division champions.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

P. Manning (the '14 "good" Manning not the '15 cripple)

Andrew Luck

Since '11 the Bengals are 7th in both total wins against playoff teams and winning percentage against playoff teams.  They have not cracked into the "elite" status, but they are not helpless against these teams (except one)

In order to make this a "fair and balanced" thread I will now include my major criticism of Dalton.  When he is bad he is very bad, and he has a lot of problems with consistency.  People like to make fun of all my stats, but I think most people will agree that these accurately reflect the most frustrating aspect of being a Dalton fan.

Since '11 only 6 QBs have more games with a passer rating of 120 or higher.

Since '11 only 4 QBs have more games with a passer rating of 60 or lower.

I do and mainly agree playoffs haven't been all Andy's fault. He hasnt played to his capabilities but the team hasn't either. You can choose what you read and respond to. I don't agree with what everyone says and most times keep my thoughts to myself.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Boomer Esiason's passing numbers in the '88 postseason are far worse than Dalton's postseason stats, yet Boomer is a god among many people here because that '88 Super Bowl team had the #1 rushing game in the league.

From the very first post of this thread I have admitted that dalton has played poorly in all four playoff games, but the fact is i have seen him play enough very good games against very good teams to make me believe he can win in the playoffs.

Here is a list of the QBs Dalton has beaten head-to-head when those opposing teams were division champions.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

P. Manning (the '14 "good" Manning not the '15 cripple)

Andrew Luck

Since '11 the Bengals are 7th in both total wins against playoff teams and winning percentage against playoff teams.  They have not cracked into the "elite" status, but they are not helpless against these teams (except one)

Tom Brady: In a monsoon

Manning: In super heavy 2nd half rain

Luck: Overrated, neckbeard

Wilson: Best comeback win ever by Dalton and Bengals

Rodgers: Both those wins were close!

While I agree that Andy Dalton is not the biggest concern with this team, his prime time and playoff records are hard to swallow. The guy just seems to fold when the heat is highest. That worries me. He has typically struggled in big games throughout his career and you have to wonder how much you can trust the guy moving forward.

Overall, I like Dalton. His basic skill set is above average (aside from his inability to throw on the run) but that gnawing feeling that he's not cut out to win big games looms large for me.

How much of this is the team around him? How much of this is the coaching? I don't know but, he's had very good teams around him in the past and he's continued to stall out when the games are the most vital. He's the common denominator (along with Lewis) in the Bengals inability to take the next step.

I'm fine with the Bengals focusing on other areas this offseason (OT, OG, OC, LB and WR) but there has to be some thoughts around replacing him if he continues to shit the bed and piss his pants when the pressure is the greatest.

24 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

While I agree that Andy Dalton is not the biggest concern with this team, his prime time and playoff records are hard to swallow. The guy just seems to fold when the heat is highest. That worries me. He has typically struggled in big games throughout his career and you have to wonder how much you can trust the guy moving forward.

Overall, I like Dalton. His basic skill set is above average (aside from his inability to throw on the run) but that gnawing feeling that he's not cut out to win big games looms large for me.

How much of this is the team around him? How much of this is the coaching? I don't know but, he's had very good teams around him in the past and he's continued to stall out when the games are the most vital. He's the common denominator (along with Lewis) in the Bengals inability to take the next step.

I'm fine with the Bengals focusing on other areas this offseason (OT, OG, OC, LB and WR) but there has to be some thoughts around replacing him if he continues to shit the bed and piss his pants when the pressure is the greatest.

I agree with your general sentiment. One regret as a fan that I have is Dalton getting hurt in 2015. I really would have liked to have seen what he could have done with that team in the playoffs. Shit, had he not gotten hurt, we may have got a first round bye that year and not had to face the Steelers in the first round at all.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:47 PM, UncleEarl said:

This. 

Unless you see the next big thing, and it ain't AJ "Way Better Than Dalton" McCarron, you best not throw away a competent NFL QB.  Fix the offense around him. 

Edit:  Seriously?  You even forced Mc-Cooter to that garbage?

My point was about letting Whit etc walk. I'm fine w Dalton until they are in position to get a stud

4 hours ago, BENGALS666 said:

My point was about letting Whit etc walk. I'm fine w Dalton until they are in position to get a stud

And that's really the core issue, isn't it? "Getting a stud". David Klingler was a massive stud coming out of Houston. Could he have been a stud in the NFL if some other team with a semblance of an offensive line had drafted him? David Carr? Who knows? Sometimes there's validity to the argument that throwing a rookie QB to the wolves behind a sub-par line can ruin a career. Look at what Hue has done to Kizer, you're in, you're out, you're in, you're out...and that team SUCKS.

Plus identifying a collegiate QB as a valid NFL starter is not an exact science either, no matter how skilled the scouts of a particular team may be. I think this is why you get cries for McCarron. "He's a leader, he won the National Championship at Alabama!".

Sometimes it truly is better to roll with the Devil you know rather than the one you don't. Dalton may never be considered "great" but I believe he's certainly "good enough". He's better than Trent Dilfer was, although he had the benefit of the best defense in NFL history. Flacco isn't Aaron Rodgers, but he had some excellent playoff games and won a Super Bowl, and I don't think he's any better than Dalton (especially now, he seems to have regressed). 

The overall point I suppose is that it's ALL a crap shoot over the course of an NFL season. Having a great QB just increases your odds but doesn't guarantee anything, especially when injuries decimate your starters, etc.

21 hours ago, Bunghole said:

And that's really the core issue, isn't it? "Getting a stud". David Klingler was a massive stud coming out of Houston. Could he have been a stud in the NFL if some other team with a semblance of an offensive line had drafted him? David Carr? Who knows? Sometimes there's validity to the argument that throwing a rookie QB to the wolves behind a sub-par line can ruin a career. Look at what Hue has done to Kizer, you're in, you're out, you're in, you're out...and that team SUCKS.

Plus identifying a collegiate QB as a valid NFL starter is not an exact science either, no matter how skilled the scouts of a particular team may be. I think this is why you get cries for McCarron. "He's a leader, he won the National Championship at Alabama!".

Sometimes it truly is better to roll with the Devil you know rather than the one you don't. Dalton may never be considered "great" but I believe he's certainly "good enough". He's better than Trent Dilfer was, although he had the benefit of the best defense in NFL history. Flacco isn't Aaron Rodgers, but he had some excellent playoff games and won a Super Bowl, and I don't think he's any better than Dalton (especially now, he seems to have regressed). 

The overall point I suppose is that it's ALL a crap shoot over the course of an NFL season. Having a great QB just increases your odds but doesn't guarantee anything, especially when injuries decimate your starters, etc.

I agree w most of that. Though there are few that come out that you wish Cincy would have had a crack at. Wentz, Watson etc.  It just feels like Cincy will probably spend so much time fixing OL fuckups that it will affect other positions that will experience natural turnover will suffer for it. 

Archived