Guys, I Need Some Help

To my fellow Bengals fans:

I find myself in a situation that I have never had to deal with before, that is to say, my abject poverty. I need help, and by help I mean of a financial nature.

Guys, I realize that I have expressed to you my alcoholism in the past, but I have been sober now since July. I go to AA meetings when I can and care for my sons as best as I can.

I got a DUI on January 28th 2017, a day that I now can see actually saved (or at least prolonged) my life. I lost my job the next day due to being in jail, and for having a dirty license. You can't sell cars you cannot drive! But, I also in the ensuing months, lost my ability to find work, got diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, applied for and got denied disability, got a job lifting heavy weight with Kroger, only to lose that due to an umbilical hernia I am in the midst of trying to get fixed and basically haven't found a decent job since. 

I had a reasonable amount of savings I have lived off of from February of last year until about this August. After I lost my house to foreclosure, I had been relying upon my parents for help, and they still pay my rent. But they are old and on a fixed income, and not only have I become a burden to them financially, but to their minds as well, which is soul-crushingly worse. After Kroger let me go I applied for unemployment, and that got denied as well. Apparently they classified me as "taking a leave of absence". 

Anyway, I do not know what else to do. Over the years I have seen others fall on the sword of other largesse, and I remember thinking "Damn, that will never be me" as I made 100k a year. Well...it's now me. Guys I have nowhere else to turn. I am sure I will get a job eventually, but I have a quarter tank of gas and $4 in my checking account. I have already sold all my valuables, save one guitar. I had a nice car, a good job, nice things...it's all gone now. ALL of it. 

And now in asking for your help, I have a little less of my self esteem, which is fragile to begin with as I continue to overcome alcohol addiciton, get my health right and do right by my two sons that need me. I have foodstamps ($500/month) and medicaid, and...well, that's it, other than my rent being paid. I have prolonged the inevitable as long as I can. I do not know what else to do. We didn't even have a Christmas here at my place for the first time since my boys were born. This is all so disheartening I do not know what else to say. I also was just informed that I have a lesion on my liver and am awaiting a CAT scan to see if it's cancer, the prospect of which is scary in it's own right. If you can find a way to help me, I would dearly appreciate it. I will have another job soon (after surgery) and I swear I will pay it forward.

A special thanks to Ryan for granting permission to do this in my hour of need. 

Thanks all,
Steve

I set up a GoFundMe page here if you'd care to help. Of course any advice is also very welcome. This is one hell of a mess.

https://www.gofundme.com/cths3s-living-expenses

I will help fund your GOFUND acct sir and give the little I can give...I was out of work for almost 3 years a few years back and so was my wife ..I know about financial hardship... I always seem to be behind on my bills... Its not fun..I never ever had credit debt until now...Even though you didnt like some of my posts (just kidding)I will do the little I can to help. I know what u feel like and hope things get better for u. I lost my job 3 months after adopting my son. Anyway, May God help you and your family

Thanks guys. I am doing what I can. What I really need right now is a decent job. If anyone hears of anything worthwhile that doesn't involve heavy lifting, let me know. Once I get this damned umbilical hernia fixed I can start lifting heavy weight again.

And thanks for pinning this Montana. I guess I could have done so myself but I just didn't think about it.

52 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

We all have people we disagree with on this board... but we also have some damn fine people here too.

Proud to STILL be a part of this board.

I couldn't agree more. I have been a vociferous critic of some of our fellow members, the team, etc...it all seems so meaningless now. Showering criticism upon others while your glass house is melting is a sobering reality. It's my reality. Thanks guys, you have been an immeasurable help to myself and my sons. Thank you so very, very much. I am the classic back of the class clown (only surpassed in this skill by T-Dub), but this is serious business. Thanks to all.

-Steven

Just an idea.   Someone close to me lost their job because of jail time also.   He was a car salesman also.   After getting out he started flipping cars.   Nothing large at first.   Just reasonable cars for a healthy profit.   He dabbled in flipping houses and about wound up at square one again.  He told me the key is to find a mechanic willing to do the work on the side.   You sound like a sharp talker in person and on the board.   I could see this working for you with your background and skill set.   ...or you could talk to KennethW about the Mercedes dealership he's at. 

...also a note about flipping houses if you're 65 or disabled.   Tax Free on property taxes.   I'm no expert in this area but I dabble in property.   

"Partially disabled veterans and those over the age of 65 may receive aproperty tax exemption based on theirdisability rating and age up to $12,000"

Archived