Flashback: 2003 Bengals vs Undefeated Chiefs

For those too young to remember Marvin's rookie season, this week 11 game at PBS saw the return of the Bengals to the NFL.

We were 4-5.  The Chiefs, undefeated at 9-0, were huge favorites.  A brash young rookie WR named Chad Johnson had guaranteed a win.  And the Bengals delivered.

That was one of the few seasons where NFL Films produced a weekly "Game Of The Week" feature - one hour shows featuring the signature NFL Films treatment.... Steve Sabol introductions, Voice Of God voiceovers, slow-motion photography with full orchestration accompaniment.  Real "goose bumps" stuff.

They selected Bengals-Chiefs as their featured game.  A very few of us have it.  I will work with Go to see if we can upload a full copy somewhere on the site to allow everyone to see this magnificent piece of art, but while we work those details out I will post small snippets of that beauty here for all to share.

Run, Rudi, Run:

With the Bengals clinging to a 10-6 4th Quarter lead, it was only a matter of time before the NFL's highest-scoring offense began firing on all cylinders.  There was a sense of urgency for the home team to get more points before the dreaded Chiefs avalanche started.  So after a defensive stop, the Bengals needed a big punt return by Peter Warrick.

P-Dub came through:

The Chiefs responded, moving 90+ yards down the field in only 5 plays, displaying the offensive prowess that the league had become accustomed to seeing.  Cutting the Bengal lead to only 5 points, all they needed was a stop and the ball back to let Trent Green, Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, and the rest of Kansas City's team have one chance and 6 minutes to win the game over the upstart home team.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, Jon Kitna never got that memo:

Again the Chiefs responded, leaving barely more than 3 minutes on the clock.  The Bengals desperately needed to run out that clock.  No turnovers, no punts, no opportunity for Trent Green to get the ball back, because Kansas City was back in the ballgame, and if they had a chance to win it they would.

All the Bengals needed to do was to play keep-away.  Keep the ball.  Keep Green off the field.  And run the clock down to 0:00.

Enjoy:

51 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

With the Bengals clinging to a 10-6 4th Quarter lead, it was only a matter of time before the NFL's highest-scoring offense began firing on all cylinders.  There was a sense of urgency for the home team to get more points before the dreaded Chiefs avalanche started.  So after a defensive stop, the Bengals needed a big punt return by Peter Warrick.

P-Dub came through

A number off weeks ago, my son and I were fortunate enough to be at a Bengals function with a number of Bengals greats.

Peter Warrick (and his son) were there.

He was asked to recall the highlight of his career and this is the play he singled out.

He said the Chiefs had a red hot kick returner named Dante Hall and all the media had done all week

was hype and suck up Hall.

P-Dub said after the return TD he trotted past the Chiefs sidelines saying

"Dante who?" "Dante who?" "Dante who?"

Great story and great to hear him tell it.

I'm sorry.   I'll forever remember this game mostly because it was the last game my Dad attended.   Besides the game which was epic, the tailgate with a bunch of guys who are still here and on another board.   It was near Longworth Hall in an elevated parking lot.   In the stadium we sat in the exposed end zone right behind a group of 8 or so Chief's fans.   The couple next to us kept beating their Bengal pom poms over the head of the Chiefs fans in a somewhat random manner.   I still have one of them that they gave us.  Dad asked why they were booing and I explained it was Roo Dee not Boo.   Rudi that day tore up the field.   By the end of the day we both hoarse from yelling and having the time of our life.   We talked about the game until his last viewing of the Bengals (on TV) in the 2011 playoff game against the Texans.   We lost of course and my Dad passed away shortly after. 

Not a downer but a memory I will always cherish regardless of how bad we are or if we ever win a playoff game.   I'll have that one day when we watched the undefeated Chief's lose. 

On 1/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

That was one of the few seasons where NFL Films produced a weekly "Game Of The Week" feature - one hour shows featuring the signature NFL Films treatment.... Steve Sabol introductions, Voice Of God voiceovers, slow-motion photography with full orchestration accompaniment.  Real "goose bumps" stuff.

They selected Bengals-Chiefs as their featured game.  A very few of us have it.  I will work with Go to see if we can upload a full copy somewhere on the site to allow everyone to see this magnificent piece of art, but while we work those details out I will post small snippets of that beauty here for all to share.

Run, Rudi, Run:

on of my first games i attended ever, sec 104. like 14-ush rows up... 

13 hours ago, Numbers said:

I'm sorry.   I'll forever remember this game mostly because it was the last game my Dad attended.   Besides the game which was epic, the tailgate with a bunch of guys who are still here and on another board.   It was near Longworth Hall in an elevated parking lot.   In the stadium we sat in the exposed end zone right behind a group of 8 or so Chief's fans.   The couple next to us kept beating their Bengal pom poms over the head of the Chiefs fans in a somewhat random manner.   I still have one of them that they gave us.  Dad asked why they were booing and I explained it was Roo Dee not Boo.   Rudi that day tore up the field.   By the end of the day we both hoarse from yelling and having the time of our life.   We talked about the game until his last viewing of the Bengals (on TV) in the 2011 playoff game against the Texans.   We lost of course and my Dad passed away shortly after. 

Not a downer but a memory I will always cherish regardless of how bad we are or if we ever win a playoff game.   I'll have that one day when we watched the undefeated Chief's lose. 

I was at this one with my Father as well. It was my first game ever as he had just retired from the army and we moved home to SW Ohio. He became a Bengals fan from the very beginning. My parents first date was a Bengals game at Nippert stadium.

He passed 13 months ago at 4:34 pm literally as the clock was expiring as the Bengals beat the Eagles. The game wasn't important but my Mother insisted that we turn it on for him in his hospital room. He was unconscious with no brain activity by that point but I like to think that somewhere on some level he enjoyed that last one. 

It is interesting the way sports can mark time in life. All of my greatest memories of Dad involved the Reds or the Bengals in some way.  

7 hours ago, Ron~Popeil said:

It is interesting the way sports can mark time in life. All of my greatest memories of Dad involved the Reds or the Bengals in some way.

It certainly is interesting and hopefully my two sons understand the same about memory associations.  I think they do.   Cold is defined by our Jet's playoff game.   Douche bag is compared to Stealer's fans.   Ignorance, incest, rape, and a host of other things are also defined by Stealer's fans ...   Etc... 

13 hours ago, Numbers said:

It certainly is interesting and hopefully my two sons understand the same about memory associations.  I think they do.   Cold is defined by our Jet's playoff game.   Douche bag is compared to Stealer's fans.   Ignorance, incest, rape, and a host of other things are also defined by Stealer's fans ...   Etc... 

Ah...generational differences.  Cold = Freezer Bowl.  (I try to forget that Jets game.)

Freezer Bowl.jpg

On 1/15/2018 at 6:41 PM, Numbers said:

I live in western PA. Most people here are nice but there is a large contingent of horrific human beings that think the relative success of their chosen team somehow equates to their own personal station in life. They are obnoxious when their team wins and hilariously so when they lose. The schadenfreude makes it bearable. Especially the superbowl loss to the Packers and the loss this year to the Jags. 

Archived