2018 Playoffs Thread

26 minutes ago, Hooky said:

The girl at work that's been wearing all her stealer shit and trying to shove it down people's throats isn't saying or wearing shit today. The hits just keep on coming.

You should cover your work space in Jags gear for the next week or 3.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I should. I was actually thinking before the game on Sunday that if I had money to burn, I would buy a jersey for all 31 teams and wear which ever one the stealers played that week.

After a quick look at the previous season and each team's opponents, I've come to the following conclusion....  Wanna make the playoffs?  Easy - don't play against other playoff teams.

Here's a list of the # of playoff-bound teams that each NFL team played against in the 2017 season, ranked from most to fewest.  Note: the league-wide average will always be 6....

9: Buccaneers - ATL ATL BUF CAR CAR MIN NEP NOS NOS
9: Jets - ATL BUF BUF CAR JAX KCC NEP NEP NOS
8: Bills - ATL BUF BUF CAR KCC NEP NEP NOS 
8: Panthers - ATL ATL BUF MIN NEP NOS NOS PHI 
8: Saints - ATL ATL BUF CAR CAR LAR MIN NEP 
8: Texans - JAX JAX KCC LAR NEP PIT TEN TEN 
7: Bears - ATL CAR MIN MIN NOS PHI PIT  
7: Colts - BUF JAX JAX LAR PIT TEN TEN  
7: Dolphins - ATL CAR KCC NEP NEP NOS TEN  
7: Falcons - BUF CAR CAR MIN NEP NOS NOS  
7: Patriots - ATL BUF BUF CAR KCC NOS PIT  
6: 49ers - CAR JAX LAR LAR PHI TEN   
6: Bengals - BUF JAX MIN PIT PIT TEN   
6: Chargers - BUF JAX KCC KCC NEP PHI   
6: Lions - ATL CAR MIN MIN NOS PIT   
6: Packers - ATL CAR MIN MIN NOS PIT   
6: Raiders - BUF KCC KCC NEP PHI TEN   
6: Redskins - KCC LAR MIN NOS PHI PHI   
6: Seahawks - ATL JAX LAR LAR PHI TEN   
5: Broncos - BUF KCC KCC NEP PHI    
5: Browns - JAX MIN PIT PIT TEN    
5: Cardinals - JAX LAR LAR PHI TEN    
5: Cowboys - ATL KCC LAR PHI PHI    
5: Rams - JAX MIN NOS PHI TEN    
5: Ravens - JAX MIN PIT PIT TEN    
5: Stealers - JAX KCC MIN NEP TEN    
5: Vikings - ATL CAR LAR NOS PIT    
4: Chiefs - BUF NEP PHI PIT     
4: Giants - KCC LAR PHI PHI     
4: Jaguars - LAR PIT TEN TEN     
4: Titans - JAX JAX LAR PIT     
3: Eagles - CAR KCC LAR      

Bold = Playoff Team

Italic = Division Champion

Red = Conference Finalist

6.00 = League Average

5.67 = Playoff Teams

5.13 = Division Champions

4.75 = Conference Finalists

Played 9: Average # of Wins = 5.0, Average Place = 4.0

Played 8: Average # of Wins = 8.8, Average Place = 2.3

Played 7: Average # of Wins = 7.6, Average Place = 2.8

Played 6: Average # of Wins = 7.9, Average Place = 2.6

Played 5: Average # of Wins = 8.5, Average Place = 2.3

Played 4: Average # of Wins = 8.0, Average Place = 2.0

Played 3: Average # of Wins = 13.0, Average Place = 1.0

In general, the more playoff teams you played the fewer games you won and the worse your final position in your division.  The exceptions are shown in bold above.... 3 of the 4 teams who played 8 playoff opponents all made the playoffs themselves, Saints (11 wins, 1st), Panthers (11 wins, 2nd) and Bills (9 wins, 2nd).  And 1 of the 4 teams who played 4 playoff opponents was the Giants, who even with a soft schedule completely sucked ass this year, pulling the average # of wins of that group (which included the 10-6 Chiefs, 10-6 Jags and 9-7 Titans) down significantly. 

17 hours ago, Numbers said:

If this is the order of servicing, I think any combination would work.   FWIW, I may be going to Minnesota for the Super Bowl entertainment and sight seeing.  Hopefully. 

The order applies only if faced with limited time or resources.

If you go up to the Near White North and manage to stay downtown (in either of the Cities), they have a pretty kickass public transportation system.  You won't need to rent a car or bother driving, particularly if where you stay is near any of the lightrail stations.  I spent an entire weekend there and got from the airport to my hotel to a hockey game in St Paul and back to Mpls, to the football game, and all around the downtown areas of both cities without ever walking more than 3 blocks and without ever having to ride a bus or taxi.  I *did* Uber once, but that was only because I was pressed for time to meet someone.  You can get a daypass for the light rail for cheap, and can buy your tickets in advance on your smartphone.... get the Metro Transit app.

28 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

After a quick look at the previous season and each team's opponents, I've come to the following conclusion....  Wanna make the playoffs?  Easy - don't play against other playoff teams.

I appreciate all the work you did there, but isn't that a pretty obvious statement without compiling all of the data?

10 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I appreciate all the work you did there, but isn't that a pretty obvious statement without compiling all of the data?

Yeah, the results are NOT cause-and-effect.  It's more likely the reverse - if you win fewer games, your opponents win more, are more likely to finish higher in the standings, and more likely to make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Yeah, the results are NOT cause-and-effect.  It's more likely the reverse - if you win fewer games, your opponents win more, are more likely to finish higher in the standings, and more likely to make the playoffs.

I think you're just trying to justify compiling all that data, it's like you're arguing with yourself right now or something.

Worse teams losing more because they played better teams and better teams winning more because they played worse teams are literally the exact same thing but said in a different way.

2018 Playoff Opponents:

8: Buccaneers, Ravens, Saints

7: Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles,Giants, Jaguars, Jets, Patriots, Redskins, Texans

6: Bengals, Browns, Chargers, Falcons, Lions, Packers, Panthers, Stealers

5: Bears, Bills, Cardinals, Seahawks, Titans, Vikings

4: 49ers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Rams

Tampa has 6 division games, all against playoff teams, plus Philly and Pittsburgh

Baltimore has 2 against Pittsburgh, plus 3 against the NFC South playoff teams, plus rotation against the Chiefs, plus both AFC wildcards

New Orleans has 4 division games against wildcards, plus the other 3 first place NFC teams, plus rotation against the Stealers

AFC North:

8/Ravens: PITx2 BUF TEN KCC NOS ATL CAR

6/Bengals: PITx2 KCC NOS ATL CAR

6/Browns: PITx2 KCC NOS ATL CAR

6/Stealers: NEP JAX KCC NOS ATL CAR

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

What's the point in arguing?

I'm just wondering what the point of the data is.

Like, it's interesting to me if there's a point he's trying to make but he doesn't seem to be stating why he's going through the effort of compiling the data.

It seems like he's trying to say that teams that get to play more bad teams will generally (but not always) make the playoffs more often.....which is like saying that the grass is green and it seems like a lot of work that he's gone through to point out that the grass is green. So I'm assuming there has to be a reason he's gone through the effort, hence my questioning.

9 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

The order applies only if faced with limited time or resources.

If you go up to the Near White North and manage to stay downtown (in either of the Cities), they have a pretty kickass public transportation system.  You won't need to rent a car or bother driving, particularly if where you stay is near any of the lightrail stations.  I spent an entire weekend there and got from the airport to my hotel to a hockey game in St Paul and back to Mpls, to the football game, and all around the downtown areas of both cities without ever walking more than 3 blocks and without ever having to ride a bus or taxi.  I *did* Uber once, but that was only because I was pressed for time to meet someone.  You can get a daypass for the light rail for cheap, and can buy your tickets in advance on your smartphone.... get the Metro Transit app.

Thanks again. As always, I can count on you for the best travel and transportation advice.   I have my fingers crossed. 

Just fucking great. Brady hurt his hand. Now, in rapistberger fashion, the entire game on Sunday will be filled with either: Even with an injured hand, slurp slurp slurp (if they're winning) or you can tell his hand's not quite right (if they're losing). 

8 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Just fucking great. Brady hurt his hand. Now, in rapistberger fashion, the entire game on Sunday will be filled with either: Even with an injured hand, slurp slurp slurp (if they're winning) or you can tell his hand's not quite right (if they're losing). 

Like the announcers weren't going to be tongue-punching his balloon knot regardless?

I hope the Jags tear off his good hand and slap him with it.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:44 PM, T-Dub said:

ha ha.. right on

There is a new dude at work that is a stealers fan..we was running his mouth a little last week before the weekend.

I just smiled and asked him if he watched any football this weekend when he walked in on Monday..

and then when he was away once I put a Jags sticker on the bottom of his stealers coffee cup.. I can't wait until someone asks him about it..

Yep..feeling pretty good about myself

5 hours ago, fluhartz said:

ha ha.. right on

There is a new dude at work that is a stealers fan..we was running his mouth a little last week before the weekend.

I just smiled and asked him if he watched any football this weekend when he walked in on Monday..

and then when he was away once I put a Jags sticker on the bottom of his stealers coffee cup.. I can't wait until someone asks him about it..

Yep..feeling pretty good about myself

I don't care who you are - that there's funny!!

4 minutes ago, saphead said:

I want a Jags - Minnesota Super Bowl complete with terrible ratings. 

Ugh...come on, man.  You want everyone to be miserable or something?  Love to see Zimmer and his boys dethrone Brady & Belichick.  Unfortunately, I think the clock is going to strike midnight on Keenum soon.  Dude has a horseshoe stuck up his ass.  

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

I too want Jax at Minnesota. Sick of the same old teams. 

I think almost anyone outside of NE and Philly wants this matchup... I know I do 

The ONLY good thing about it being NE is them tying the stealers for most super bowls...

Fuck the stealers

I want Eagles and Jags. The two teams that were written off before the playoffs started. But as Flu said, the pats or any team tying and hopefully eventually passing the shitbags for SB wins will make stealer fans cry. Which is always welcome.

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I think almost anyone outside of NE and Philly wants this matchup... I know I do 

The ONLY good thing about it being NE is them tying the stealers for most super bowls...

Fuck the stealers

Seriously 

20 hours ago, Hooky said:

I want Eagles and Jags. 

FWIW...

i will be full-throated Bird-backng tomorrow. This flies in the face of all of the Zimmer-worship, but I have my historical reasons. Long before I even knew where Ohio was, and long before there was even a franchise known as the Bengals, I was an Eagles fan (like SF, you might call me "EaglesFan2" as I still closely follow them). My first NFL game was in this building (the past and present home of the U of Pennsylvania Quakers):

ff.jpg

Which was only 5 years after this #60 guy helped beat Hornung and Taylor for their last NFL Championship:

chuck+bednarik2.jpg

Take that in for a moment: 58 seasons since they last won a League Championship. 

So, for me anyway, Fly Eagles Fly! 

Archived