Short write ups on favorite players in nfl draft

Below are write ups on some of my absolute favorite players in draft. 

Orlando Brown Jr., OT, Oklahoma
– This behemoth of a human being at 6’8, 345 plays like a ton of bricks as a run blocker, but has surprising mobility and foot fluidity in pass protection. Obviously at Orlando Brown’s size, he is not going to move like Lane Johnson, but he has shown that he has all the tools necessary to be a franchise offensive tackle in the NFL with his blend of overwhelming power, hand strength and length, controlled aggression around the arc, and overall athleticism

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
– When I turned on the tape, I did not expect to see the monster that is Taven Bryan. Most draft forecasters rank him in the second or third round, but he simply dominated every offensive lineman he went up against in 2017, especially with his patented and absolutely filthy push-pull move. He creates disruption on almost every snap with his unreal quickness, as he became a pass rushing phenom this season. In fact, he bends better than most defensive ends in this draft. Bryan does need refinement in lane discipline and his overaggressive style of play, but he has all the tools to be a double-digit sack guy at the defensive tackle position, a feat that is reached by only a handful of players.

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
– He may be 5’10 on a good day, but Denzel Ward is as sticky and feisty as they come in both off and press man coverage. Ward can get up in a receiver’s grill, or he can just sit on top of routes because of how gifted he is athletically. I don’t think it matters where Ward plays at the next level because whether it is inside or out, he is going to shut down wide receivers in man coverage. His reactionary quickness in Zone is not as developed as a player like Jaire Alexander, but he can close ground in a hurry with his elite speed. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he runs sub-4.3 in the 40-yard dash.

Vita Vea, DT, Washington
– What else is there to say about Vita Vea other than the fact that he just mauls dudes at the LOS? I mean, he will take on double teams and throw them to side to make the tackle in the backfield. He is that strong and powerful as a run defender in the middle. As a pass rusher, he moves better than anybody at his size that I can recall. The problems I have with Vea stem from his underdeveloped technique and backfield awareness, but he has all the tools to be one of the league’s most dominant nose tackles

Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
– Boise State’s version of Sean Lee is the best way to describe the uber-talented linebacker prospect Leighton Vander Esch. His uncanny combination of instincts, stopping power, and reliability in space makes him one of favorite prospects in this class. His best fit is at WLB because of his production in space, but he has the stack and shed ability to play the Mike spot as well. The way he chases down plays from the backside, as well as his reactionary quickness to turn and run with slot receivers mid-route, is something that will get scouts jumping on the table for him in board-setting meetings.

James Daniels, C, Iowa
– I was intrigued in my casual viewings of Daniels during the regular season, but when he decided to declare as a true junior, I started a deep dive into his tape. What I found was the best run blocker and interior offensive lineman in this class not named Quenton Nelson. His mobility to get to the second level on sweeps and combo blocks is outstanding. He also puts on a clinic with his reach blocks and overall power in the run game. In fact, I think he could also have big-time value at guard in a zone blocking scheme. He needs better pad level in pass protection, but considering his reliability, traits, and production at only 20 years of age, I think Daniels has multiple Pro Bowls in his future as a step-in starter.

Marcus Davenport, EDGE, UTSA
– The best looking edge defender on the hoof in this class is without a doubt UTSA’s Marcus Davenport. At 6’7, 265, he is able to convert speed to power unlike anyone else in this class. His explosiveness and bend around the arc at that size is something you just don’t find often. The problem is that he is as raw with his technique as you can get. He terrorized opponents with his length and heavy hands as a rusher, but his pad level is atrocious. The same goes for the run game as an edge setter. There is the risk-reward label here, but I’d be more than willing take a chance on a guy with his traits in the first round.

Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
– He may not be able to tackle or get off blocks all that well, but Joshua Jackson is one of the most gifted cover corners in this draft class. He is consistently attached to the hip pocket, closing any chance of separation in man coverage, and if you throw the ball in his vicinity, expect that ball to be coming the other way. The physical part of the game is really lacking for Jackson, especially at the LOS and in run support, but whether it is Zone or Man, he will be an instant playmaker in coverage.

DESHON ELLUOT S TEXAS
I am going to be higher on DeShon Elliott than most draft evaluators, but I strongly believe he can be a big time playmaker at the next level. He is an interchangeable safety prospect who can play in the box with his reliable run support skill set and man coverage production, in the deep middle as a centerfielder with his sideline to sideline range, or as a split safety with his excellent instincts and zone awareness in Cover 2/two-man. From a mental processing perspective, Elliott is one of the most NFL-ready prospects in this class. I have questions about his long speed, but he plays faster than he will test because he puts himself in position to make plays on a snap to snap basis.

Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
– There have been late risers in every draft cycle, and I think Ohio State’s senior left tackle Jamarco Jones will be one of those prospects in this class. So far, there has been no early-round buzz for Jones as a prospect, but if you look at the tape against the best competition in his games against Michigan and Oklahoma, he was outstanding. He showed fluidity in his kickstep, power at the point of attack, and a blend of aggression and control around the arc to handle inside counters. Jones is a ready-made NFL pass protector, and I have a feeling he will be one of those players we look back on thinking why he did not go earlier.

Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
– I’m going to put this as plainly as I can: Will Hernandez is the 2018 NFL Draft’s offensive lineman version of King Kong. He ragdolls opponents at the LOS at will with his brute strength and powerful mitts, proving to be a wrecking ball in the run game. Once he gets his hands on you, it is flat out over. He is a phone-booth guy who will struggle in space, but he has the potential to be one of the best run blockers the NFL has to offer.

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
– Tremaine Edmunds does not turn 20 years old until May, making him the youngest player in this draft class, as well as the youngest player to enter the draft since Amobi Okoye. Edmunds has a long way to go with his gap intelligence and instincts as an off-ball linebacker, but when he is in space, he can fly. Regardless if he plays off-ball or as a situational pass rusher, Edmunds is a chess piece with as much athletic ability and potential as any defensive player in this class.

Billy Price, C, Ohio State
– Studying Ohio State senior Billy Price was one of the easiest evaluations I have done in this class so far. He is a cut and dry good football player, plain and simple. Whether it is at guard or center, Price moves people off of their base in the run game and is as reliable as they come in pass protection. His mean streak is always on, looking for another defensive lineman to put on blast. This aggressiveness can also get him into trouble with holding penalties flying his way however. He will turn 24 during his rookie season and is not as twitched up or mobile like James Daniels, but I have no reason to believe that he cannot be a consistent, long-time starter in this league.

ISAIAH WYNN OL GEORGIA
Isaiah Wynn was Georgia’s left tackle this season, but as steady as he was this season, he has guard written all over him at the next level. His big, squatty frame and power as a run blocker will translate inside at the next level. He won’t be able to handle the speed of NFL rushers on the outside, but at guard, he will only be asked to handle these rushers in tight spaces. Put Wynn in a phone booth and he will be a reliable option for years to come.

Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
– Anthony Miller is another player who will turn 24 during his rookie season, but his play speaks for itself and should not scare off teams. He is fluid before and after the catch, makes plays that 6’4 guys make at the catch point, and has an energy to his game that is contagious. His competitive toughness and confidence to go over the middle and make tough grabs will earn the respect of his teammates. Don’t sleep on his deep speed either to beat cornerbacks over the top. Just a solid, well-rounded player who can make an instant impact at the next level.

JEROME BAKER LB OHIO STATE
Ohio State’s Jerome Baker is another polarizing prospect in this class, but with his athleticism and coverage traits, I think he can be a slam-dunk Day 2 pick for a team in need of speed at the linebacker position. Ideally, he’s playing WLB in a 4-3, and even though he was more of an athlete than an instinctual player flowing to the ball, his cover skills are really going to help a team. Whether it is zone or man, Baker can turn and run with receivers, stay on the hip pocket, and attack the ball in the air. This is an upside pick for sure with plenty of risk, but I would take the chance if he fell to the middle of the second round.

Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh
– O’Neill is another late riser at the offensive tackle position, but I’m not sure why he wasn’t highly rated in the first place. He moves really well for his size, showcasing excellent fluidity and mobility in pass protection. Getting to the second level and walling off linebackers is one of O’Neill’s strengths, but he can struggle against straight power in one on one situations. Core strength in his base is not his strong suit, but when you can move that well and be as reliable around the arc as O’Neill is and, you will have a place in the NFL as a pass protector.

LORENZO CARTER LB GEORGIA
Lorenzo Carter is an intriguing prospect in several ways. The first thing that jumps out is his freakish athleticism. His speed to run sideline to sideline and/or close around the corner for a sack is his calling card. This unique skill set of production as a pass rusher, but also reliability in space makes me think he can be a hybrid player at the next level. Whether he serves as a situational pass rusher, off-ball linebacker, or as a potential LEO, ala Bruce Irvin, Carter is going to appeal to plenty of teams, especially the ones that miss out on Tremaine Edmunds early.

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

Taven is the son of a former Navy SEAL who now works as a  firefighter.

Right. I remember reading an article about them somewhere... they work out together in the off-season. 

I like Bryan a lot - the Bengals need another penetrating-type DT - and while MJ did some positive things as an inside pass rusher, I'd like another 3-down guy to add to the mix with Billings and Glasgow, who are pretty much one-dimensional.  He's still kinda young as a player, but you can definitely see his talent. 

5 hours ago, texbengal said:

Right. I remember reading an article about them somewhere... they work out together in the off-season. 

I like Bryan a lot - the Bengals need another penetrating-type DT - and while MJ did some positive things as an inside pass rusher, I'd like another 3-down guy to add to the mix with Billings and Glasgow, who are pretty much one-dimensional.  He's still kinda young as a player, but you can definitely see his talent. 

I will be completely honest and say that I worry about drafting a work out wonder.  I'm hoping we get a good DT that fits. 

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

I will be completely honest and say that I worry about drafting a work out wonder.  I'm hoping we get a good DT that fits. 

Yeah, I agree. This is not the year for them to be rolling the dice early in the draft on the high risk/high reward players they have in the past (Ross, Mixon, Ogbuehi, Hunt, etc.) They really need to find productive, plug and play type players. Nothing assures you against a bust but...NO FLYERS!

Archived