Cowboys hired Alexander

I think both teams needed a fresh perspective and direction. They got it. Alexander will have a lot more proven talent heading in to the 2018 season than he had in Cincinnati in 2017 (some would say because of him). As someone mentioned, the scrutiny in Dallas will be much more severe so coupled with the talent he will have to work with, fans and media will not be too tolerant of failure.

I am not super savvy when it comes to schemes but, it sounds like the two coaches run very different systems so, changes will be coming in both cities. Let's see who is able to move the needle the most.

Can someone enlighten me to what the difference in "scheme" is between the two coaches referred to in the following quote;   "Alexander has over two decades worth of experience which bodes well for the Cowboys, but he also comes with question marks surrounding his scheme -- which is the opposite of what's been ran in Dallas to this point."

25 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Can someone enlighten me to what the difference in "scheme" is between the two coaches referred to in the following quote;   "Alexander has over two decades worth of experience which bodes well for the Cowboys, but he also comes with question marks surrounding his scheme -- which is the opposite of what's been ran in Dallas to this point."

I didn't get that either. Doesn't seem the word "scheme" should be associated with an o-line coach.

18 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I didn't get that either. Doesn't seem the word "scheme" should be associated with an o-line coach.

From https://www.xandolabs.com/conceptblockingsystem/member/olineblock.html there is basically 3 schemes.   Zone, Gap,  and Man.   I'm still confused because for each play a line is required to take care of their assignment which might require any one of the three types.   How can one coach have a different scheme if all "schemes" will probably be used every game. 

2 minutes ago, Numbers said:

From https://www.xandolabs.com/conceptblockingsystem/member/olineblock.html there is basically 3 schemes.   Zone, Gap,  and Man.   I'm still confused because for each play a line is required to take care of their assignment which might require any one of the three types.   How can one coach have a different scheme if all "schemes" will probably be used every game. 

My understanding is that Pollack is a Zone Blocking guy and Alexander runs a complex scheme involving differently variables of each scheme depending on who the player is. I've seen his system referred to as a Power Blocking scheme. I'm not a big X and O kinda of guy so I am not 100% sure how big the impact is moving from one to the other.

Thanks guys.   The guy Alexander learned from was Jim McNally and Jim is still with the Bengals.   Makes me wonder if we are taking Pollack with the idea of converting him to our "way of business" or simply "dumbing down" our offensive line to be easier to learn.   I'm guessing that the Bengals will continue with their "way of business"...  Fingers crossed that the offensive line picks up the pace as compared to last season. 

Here are the relevant paragraphs from the article I linked:

When Alexander took over the line in 1995, the tinkering continued. "There are two types of pass-blocking techniques," one college line coach recently told a visiting Bengals scout. "The type everyone teaches. And the type the Bengals teach."

Consider how most tackles block an outside pass rusher, at every level from Pop Warner to the pros. After a couple of kick steps back, the blocker punches the D-end's upper body with both hands to blunt the coming attack, then moves like a basketball player trying to stay in front of his man. But you won't see a Cincinnati lineman punch. "I wasn't a basketball player," Alexander says. "I was a wrestler. We try to use the opponent's momentum against him, which just comes natural from my experience in wrestling."

Alexander's mantra is, Block your man like a top. Don't put your body in front of a force when you can just as easily deflect it. What he means: Instead of punching out against an outside rusher, as most coaches teach, a Bengals lineman will use what Alexander calls a "pommel technique." The blocker reaches his outside arm outside the defender to slow his rush and disrupt his balance. The lineman then moves his feet in order to close down the separation, smothering the rusher with his entire body. In essence he halts the momentum of the outside-spinning top.

The same no-punch rule goes for inside pass-rush moves, when the O-lineman's first act goes against just about every manual: He drops his inside hand. Then, when the defender commits to a move—say, a swim or a club—the lineman will lift that inside hand to the defender's chest and put his outside hand into the defender's hip, spinning him around, against his desired momentum.

Alexander applies similarly unconventional wisdom to zone blocking. Most linemen focus on getting from their initial double team to the linebacker at the next level. But Alexander prefers his linemen to double-team too long rather than leave too early. To practice this, the Bengals work in pairs, shuffling 10 yards downfield with a blocking bag sandwiched between them. Then there's Alexander's invention, the Rogers Lev Sled, a more complicated blocking sled with pads that can be lifted, which helps players develop the proper technique of driving with their hips. It's now the norm on practice fields.

This kind of creativity is not always immediately embraced. "We always used to butt heads," says Hue Jackson, Cincinnati's offensive coordinator and former running backs coach. "When I was made coordinator [in 2014], we spent some time going over all the ways he taught things. Sitting there with him, it made me realize how good he was. How he teaches, the different props and tools he uses—it's different. But the results are outstanding."

I will genuinely be curious, for my part, if the Dallas veterans will take to being taught a new technique on the line.

This also explains, maybe, why he liked Livings over Mathis  - maybe Livings was able to do the technique better (even if his results sucked). Also, looking at the above, it's clear why Alexander pushed for Ogbuehi. Probably got enamored with his feet. 

In any event, I am super happy to have moved on from Alexander. It was time to try something new.

14 hours ago, Numbers said:

Sure. Alexanders scheme is to get the quarterback sacked as often as possible and open up no lanes for the running game. Whereas Dallas - like 30 other NFL teams besides the Browns - try and run a scheme to protect the QB and have a ground game.

Hope that's cleared things up.

8 hours ago, VonBlade said:

Sure. Alexanders scheme is to get the quarterback sacked as often as possible and open up no lanes for the running game. Whereas Dallas - like 30 other NFL teams besides the Browns - try and run a scheme to protect the QB and have a ground game.

Hope that's cleared things up.

Crystal.   😃

Archived