No Money for FA's, Andre Smith a priority. Same old

I stopped reading Hobson's drivel years ago. The Bengals currently sit with $39 million in salary cap space heading in to the offseason (ranked #13 in available space) with almost nobody that is a "gotta re-sign" as a free agent. Yes, the Bengals likely should get either Atkins or Dunlap (or both) extended this offseason. But both guys are already counting against the 2018 salary cap. Extending one or both is not going to max out their space this year. As a matter of fact, it will likely have little affect on it at all.

Now, speaking of Dunlap and Atkins. I think this is really the last big contract you can give either. Atkins will be 30 heading in to this season and Dunlap will be 29. I think you can count on both to provide another two to three pro Bowl level seasons but, that's going to likely be about it.

I'd re-sign Huber and look at a friendly contract for Eifert. If it's not friendly. See you.

35 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Geoffie hobbin' on the nob again.   Left Tackle is our number one priority, but no money to spend in FA and we won't spend our #12 on one?  Check Mikey for polyps while your heads up there and StFU.

Ok you make jokes... but this was literally the biggest problem that caused most of the pain in the 90s.... refusal to address the offensive line. 

All of of us knew going into this season that the offensive line was going to be terrible... apparently everyone but the Bengals.

37 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I stopped reading Hobson's drivel years ago. The Bengals currently sit with $39 million in salary cap space heading in to the offseason (ranked #13 in available space) with almost nobody that is a "gotta re-sign" as a free agent. Yes, the Bengals likely should get either Atkins or Dunlap (or both) extended this offseason. But both guys are already counting against the 2018 salary cap. Extending one or both is not going to max out their space this year. As a matter of fact, it will likely have little affect on it at all.

Now, speaking of Dunlap and Atkins. I think this is really the last big contract you can give either. Atkins will be 30 heading in to this season and Dunlap will be 29. I think you can count on both to provide another two to three pro Bowl level seasons but, that's going to likely be about it.

I'd re-sign Huber and look at a friendly contract for Eifert. If it's not friendly. See you.

Atkins and Dunlap are probably thinking that they have one last big contract period.  The Bengals might give them a mega deal...who knows.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait and test the FA waters.

In fact if the Bengals do not sign them early I would probably bet on at least one not returning.

3 hours ago, Tigers Johnson said:

Ok you make jokes... but this was literally the biggest problem that caused most of the pain in the 90s.... refusal to address the offensive line. 

All of of us knew going into this season that the offensive line was going to be terrible... apparently everyone but the Bengals.

Oh I'm joking, but I'm damn sure not laughing.  I lived through the 90's with this team and know the truth of which you speak.  Even before.  I still get teary-eyed thinking of big Max leaving.

My takeaways from Baghdad Hobson:

Oline is a priority just not early in the draft or in free agency other than keeping Andre

Resigning Geno, Dunlap, and Kroft are priorities even though none of them are UFA

Eifert is as good as gone unless he gets no outside interest

Andy looks skittish because his line has allowed him to be hit too much

John Ross has a shot at not being a bust

Ced and Fisher may or may not get another chance to start

Finally we have no clue what type of scheme the new oline coach will run

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My takeaways from Baghdad Hobson:

Oline is a priority just not early in the draft or in free agency other than keeping Andre

That is so god damned stupid that I am not able to even process anything else from this story.

OL is a priority

Not early in the draft tho

Also not in FA

= not really a priority actually LOL JK

:Troll-min:

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That is so god damned stupid that I am not able to even process anything else from this story.

OL is a priority

Not early in the draft tho

Also not in FA

= not really a priority actually LOL JK

:Troll-min:

He did mention that it's a deep draft for OL so don't be surprised to see the Bengals with multiple OL picks in rounds 2 - 3 especially with multiple 3rd rounders assuming Zeitler nets us 3rd round comp.

Hobspin is a total shitter so I hate defending him but he did address the OL as an issue. He only said that we may not be 100% taking OL at 12 and I think there could be big enough playmakers elsewhere in the 1st round to save the OL picks for exactly where Hobson projects us to take them.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

He did mention that it's a deep draft for OL so don't be surprised to see the Bengals with multiple OL picks in rounds 2 - 3 especially with multiple 3rd rounders assuming Zeitler nets us 3rd round comp.

Hobspin is a total shitter so I hate defending him but he did address the OL as an issue. He only said that we may not be 100% taking OL at 12 and I think there could be big enough playmakers elsewhere in the 1st round to save the OL picks for exactly where Hobson projects us to take them.

I console myself with the knowledge that nobody is likely telling him anything of importance & this is all based on him pressing his ear to office doors, at best.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I console myself with the knowledge that nobody is likely telling him anything of importance & this is all based on him pressing his ear to office doors, at best.

I don't know, he usually says reasonably accurate things to get us ready to not see any drastic changes. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows that the FO isn't expecting Nelson there at 12 and also knows the FO doesn't like any of the other projected OL prospects that early.

I don't think it's "wrong" to take a playmaking safety/LB/DE/DT at 12 and then address the OL with a couple of picks in the 2nd/3rd. That seems like a sound strategy for the upcoming draft, at least going by which players are "supposed" to be there when we pick each time.

His exact quote from the article is "No question they’ll use a raft of picks on the offensive line. Probably not at No. 12. From what I’m hearing early on that’s a deep position in rounds two to four and with an extra third you could easily see them coming out of the first two days with possibly two O-linemen.  I think the Bengals are going to go through due diligence in free agency and look for line upgrades, but I also don’t see them straying far from their philosophy."

That sounds fine IMO. Basically we aren't signing Ryan Jensen or Andrew Norwell in free agency but we may get a budget option at guard or center (which is still probably an upgrade from what we have), we're going to re-sign Andre to cover RT, and we'll probably grab some of the linemen in the 2nd-4th rounds. It's as Bengals as it gets but I don't disagree with the strategy outside of them constantly ignoring the best players in FA.

14 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't know, he usually says reasonably accurate things to get us ready to not see any drastic changes.

And in this case it's getting me ready to not see any drastic changes in the team's record, either.  The OL was dogshit.  Drastic changes are not just reasonable but necessary.  To dismiss them both out of hand months before the draft & free agency even start is some "well that's the way we've always done it" bullshit.  If ever there was a time to step out of their comfort zone of doing just enough to be average, this is it.

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

And in this case it's getting me ready to not see any drastic changes in the team's record, either.  The OL was dogshit.  Drastic changes are not just reasonable but necessary.  To dismiss them both out of hand months before the draft & free agency even start is some "well that's the way we've always done it" bullshit.

Oh I get it and I'm just as frustrated as most other people of the refusal to target outside free agents while they're in their prime and not requiring some sort of red flag discount. I just think it's short sighted to say we absolutely have to go OL no matter what in the draft at #12 overall because our line sucked. Jensen (for example) is a guy that I've been really watching this season and it sucks to know that we likely won't even try talking to the guy knowing the price we'd have to pay. It's also hard for me to get tooooo mad about ignoring FA when I know how the team has operated since what feels like the beginning of time.

Would be nice to see them break the mold, but I'm not expecting them to sign anyone that I really care about. As far as the draft goes, I won't be upset if they go defense at 12 if Quenton Nelson is gone by then. The line absolutely needs addressed, but even Hobspin admits that. I don't think it's a secret that our OL lost us some games in 2016-2017. I can only assume our new OL coach has a better eye for talent than the guy who literally stood on a war room table to move up for ol' Jethro in the draft. If we take a tackle or non-Nelson interior lineman at 12 and it's reported that Pollack wanted him, I'll be happy with the pick.

6 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Oh I get it and I'm just as frustrated as most other people of the refusal to target outside free agents while they're in their prime and not requiring some sort of red flag discount. I just think it's short sighted to say we absolutely have to go OL no matter what in the draft at #12 overall because our line sucked. Jensen (for example) is a guy that I've been really watching this season and it sucks to know that we likely won't even try talking to the guy knowing the price we'd have to pay. It's also hard for me to get tooooo mad about ignoring FA when I know how the team has operated since what feels like the beginning of time.

Would be nice to see them break the mold, but I'm not expecting them to sign anyone that I really care about. As far as the draft goes, I won't be upset if they go defense at 12 if Quenton Nelson is gone by then. The line absolutely needs addressed, but even Hobspin admits that. I don't think it's a secret that our OL lost us some games in 2016-2017. I can only assume our new OL coach has a better eye for talent than the guy who literally stood on a war room table to move up for ol' Jethro in the draft. If we take a tackle or non-Nelson interior lineman at 12 and it's reported that Pollack wanted him, I'll be happy with the pick.

Yeah IDK how they can determine in mid-January that there won't be a good OL pick at #12. 

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah IDK how they can determine in mid-January that there won't be a good OL pick at #12. 

I don't know but a lot of analysts and team scouts and whatnot seem to have a pretty good idea of when players will be taken in the draft. Of course everyone will never be 100% perfect with predictions, but you can look at last January on some websites and see pretty damn good accuracy when it comes to the top prospects and approximately when they'll be taken. Again, it's not pick for pick correct accuracy or anything, but we already have a good idea of a lot of the better college players entering the draft this year and which teams have needs at those positions.

16 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Maybe Marvin can get MB to hire a new writer for the team's website, this same ol' same ol' bs is not what people want to hear.

That is one thing that blows my freaking mind is how they can even allow Hob put this on the team site.  They are so tone deaf to the fans of this team that it is amazing that there are any left.  I feel like I am dumber every single day that I stick with this organization.

1 hour ago, rcarpenter62 said:

That is one thing that blows my freaking mind is how they can even allow Hob put this on the team site.  They are so tone deaf to the fans of this team that it is amazing that there are any left.  I feel like I am dumber every single day that I stick with this organization.

I think this is a very critical year for the Bengals organization; if they follow the same process and get similar results I can see many loyal fans tuning out and supporting other teams. A friend of mine reached his breaking point this season and stopped supporting the Bengals this year.  This guy was one of the biggest fans I know, he was always tailgating, buying merch, etc...

Bring back Marvin was not a popular decision if the front office does nothing outside of the norm and doesn't win a playoff game I can many people including myself stop caring about this franchise at all.

Archived