The O-Line - Scheme or Personnel

Scheme or Personnel   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can this O-line be fixed with a new Scheme or will we need a lot of new pieces?

• Changing the Scheme will fix our issues, we have the personnel that can win with a better scheme.
    • The players on the line need replaced, changing the scheme wont fix anything if your players are bad.

I'd like to share one thought after another with you.   We discussed scheme in another thread which educated me somewhat.   Scheme does not matter as much as the talent on the line and ability of a coach to elevate the line play.   IMHO, we have a talented line that doesn't play well together but separately they are good to very good players.   I've never been a big fan of the individual superstar although there is a certain need for stellar abilities at certain positions.   I'm a big fan of the quote by Aristotle;  “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”  In my opinion we probably need a slight change in how talent is evaluated for the offensive line.  

PA ran a scheme that was dubious at best and he was extremely stubborn about it.  That being said, it's difficult for any scheme to work when the talent is that deficient.  They whiffed on Cedric, Fisher, and Bodine and had to suffer the consequences.  Ultimately I think the lack of talent trumped anything else, but the scheme shares at least part of the blame.

The good news is that Pollack is now in charge.  From what I read he has a reputation for being focused on technique and a stickler for details.  He also isn't married to one scheme from his time in Houston (zone) and Dallas (power and zone).  I believe Pollack will try whatever works best with the players he has available and not try to make square pegs fit in round holes.  I expect he will also hold people accountable when they fuck up instead of knee jerk defensiveness.  

Archived