2018 Senior Bowl

Josh Allen was vintage Josh Allen on Wednesday at the Senior Bowl, wowing the crowd during one drill, then disappointing just a few plays later.

Allen wasn't the only intriguing signal-caller on display, as Richmond's Kyle Lauletta had an impressive performance for the South squad. 

Outside of the quarterbacks, James WashingtonDorian O'DanielIsaiah Wynn, and Andrew Brown continued their dominance of the preparatory sessions.

Here are my observations from the Wednesday's practices in Mobile.

North Team

• Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen again started practice with inaccurate tosses against air, which isn't a major problem, because he's throwing to receivers with whom he's not familiar. Happens to many signal-callers at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Soon thereafter, Allen redeemed himself with two ridiculous touchdown passes in one-on-one 
    drills. Both came from the 40-yard line, drove through the slight wind and were perfectly accurate. The first score was a dime to Iowa State wideout Allen Lazard. The second touchdown was to Colorado State wideout Michael Gallup. However, Allen's accuracy issues resurfaced in team drills with a variety of errant passes, one of which was an overthrow that resulted in an interception.
  • On Lazard, he had a fantastic day creating separation -- particularly for a 6-foot-4 wideout -- and demonstrating his ball skills on a few catches well outside his frame. On Gallup, he glides all over the field, making room for his quarterback to get him the football. He's also well-built and has reliable hands. He's been outstanding in his first two practices.
  • The Kalen Ballage train steamed ahead on Wednesday, as he continued to put his smooth athleticism on display in receiving drills and when he outran Oklahoma outside linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo downfield on a wheel route. The Arizona State specimen also dominated in the blitz pickup drill. He's reminds me of David Johnson. That's not exaggeration.
  • Okoronkwo again utilized his long reach and pass-rushing moves in one-on-one and team drills. He had a would-be sack of Baker Mayfield -- on a rep against Oregon offensive tackle Tyrell Crosby
  • In 7-on-7, Mayfield got into a rhythm, as he completed many passes to different receivers. The velocity on those throws was impressive. He did hold onto the ball too long on consecutive plays that led to a throwaway and scramble after the aforementioned would-be sack by Okoronkwo.
  • Boston College cornerback Isaac Yiadom broke up three passes on the afternoon. Two of those came on deep throws in which he stayed in the hip pocket of the receiver. He's had a quality week thus far. 
  • Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki's height, length, and soft hands helped him stand out Wednesday, as he made a few grabs above his head on seam throws. He got loose on a wheel route for what would have been a big gain. Gesicki's a high-point tight end who'll be a reliable target in the NFL
  • Wisconsin edge-rusher Garrett Dooleys refinement was apparent in team drills, as he played with proper leverage and hand use to free himself from an assortment of tackles on the outside. 
  • South Carolina cornerback JaMarcus King had a rough afternoon, and it was mainly due to his lack of functional strength. He's a fluid cover man but has trouble in press and at the catch point against bigger, stronger receivers. 
  • The NC State defensive line duo of Justin Jones and B.J. Hill were super-stout against the run as per usual, and Jones even got the best of sturdy guard Will Hernandez once, which was a rare mishaps for the UTEP's star.

South Team 

• Richmond quarterback Kyle Lauletta was the best quarterback on the field for the South Team Wednesday. After a few misses early, his quick, compact release allowed him to fit the ball into some tight windows. During a red-zone drill, Lauletta squeezed a pass between defenders to Marcell Atemanon a slant for a score. He also made a nice anticipation throw over a linebacker on a dig route to LSU wideout D.J. Chark. 
  • Georgia offensive linemen Isaiah Wynn picked up where he left off yesterday, as he controlled multiple defensive linemen in one-on-one drills with a combination of quickness and jolting power. 
  • Virginia defensive tackle Andrew Brown may see his stock rise more than anyone after his week in Mobile. Being allowed to play a more attacking position on the inside as opposed to the two-gap spot he manned on the edge for the Cavaliers, the former five-star recruit has been freed to show off his electric first step and burst into the backfield. He was continually disrupting plays behind the line of scrimmage. It didn't matter which offensive lineman he faced. 
  • Oklahoma State wideout James Washington continued his effortless production at practice. While he did have a drop on a low throw against air, he won the vast majority of his matchups and was uncoverable down the field. He has an extra gear unlike any other wideout at this year's Senior Bowl.
  • Central Florida outside linebacker Shaq Griffin displayed plenty of juice around the edge on a few snaps during team drills. He can flatten to the quarterback too. 
  • Marquis Haynes of Ole Miss exhibited very active hands during a one-on-one drill with an offensive tackle, which even drew some praise from his teammates. He doesn't mess around at the point of attack. 
  • Western Kentucky quarterback Mike White rocketed a pass to the front corner of the end zone to Central Florida tight end Jordan Atkins who made the diving grab. 
  • Alabama center Bradley Bozeman and Texas defensive tackle Poona Fordhad a fun, back-and-forth battle in the trenches. Ford got the best of the Crimson Tide pivot a few times, but on one rep, I noticed Bozeman sink his hips to reach Ford's low center of gravity to stymie the stout defensive tackle. Later, Ford flashed a quick spin move in one-on-one drills. 
  • USC outside linebacker Uchenna Nwosu used a fantastic straight arm to maintain distance from the offensive tackle in front of him and ripped through for a would-be sack in team drills. He and Okoronkwo are extremely similar prospects. Nwosu is more of a technician. Okoronkwo is more of a dynamic athlete.
  • Clemson outside linebacker Dorian O'Daniel pieced together another steady practice performance. He ran with speedy Southern Miss running back Ito Smith on a wheel route that fell incomplete and had tight coverage down the field on Indiana tight end Ian Thomas who made a nice grab on a perfect pass. O'Daniel used his twitchiness twice to beat running backs in a blitz drill as well.
  • There's been an immense amount of buzz surrounding UTSA defensive end Marcus Davenport, and while he did get around the corner a few times on Wednesday, he hasn't created the high amount of splash plays he consistently showed during his collegiate career.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/senior-bowl-2018-observations-from-wednesdays-practices-highlighted-by-josh-allens-vintage-performance/

MOBILE, Ala. — Here are Arhur Arkush's Wednesday practice observations from a chillier day in Mobile, where prospects seemed to settle in after an opening session with some high notes but also some sloppiness and early jitters.

* When the South club’s TE depth took a hit with Dallas Goedert and Adam Breneman suffering hamstring injuries Tuesday that held them out of Wednesday’s session, UCF’s Jordan Akinsbecame the No. 1 beneficiary. The 6-3, 246-pounder caught two touchdowns in live sessions, including a highlight grab in the red-zone drill.

“Attacked his leverage, came out downhill, looked up and saw the ball in the air,” said Akins. “It kind of reminded me of baseball — see ball, get ball — and just extended my body and came down with the catch. One handed, falling down, kind of like a centerfielder laying out in baseball.”

Akins, an ascending receiver whose numbers climbed in each season with the Knights, admits he can still get better blocking with a hand in the dirt. However, he was excited about what he called a “huge leap” from Tuesday.

"Two [teammates] went down, but like we say at UCF, next man up. And willing to showcase my talent. It's a huge privilege. It's an honor to be here representing the national champs. Go Knights."

* Penn State CB Christian Campbell enjoyed a strong practice Wednesday. He has 32 ½-inch arms, among the longest of his corner peers in Mobile, and he showed he can use that length to his advantage on a pass breakup early in 1-on-1 drills. Campbell’s ball skills translated in the team session, too, when he intercepted a Luke Falk rainbow.

* If Michael Gallup was the North’s standout pass catcher on Tuesday, a pair of Penn State products — TE Mike Gesecki and WR DaeSean Hamilton — took their turn in the spotlight Wednesday. Gesicki, whom we’ll have more on in our exclusive draft newsletter on Thursday, showed off his athleticism and fluidity in getting open on a downfield sideline dart from Baker Mayfield and again working over the middle for a chunk gain in team drills.

* Hamilton’s separation ability was spectacular in Wednesday’s session. His quickness in and out of cuts left multiple defensive backs grasping at air off the line, and at nearly 6-1 and 202 pounds, he presents an inviting target for his quarterback.

Shaquem Griffin’s versatility has been on display often throughout two practices, and Wednesday he lined up as a deep safety in 9-on-7 drills. “We try to move him around,” explained South team coach, Houston’s Bill O’Brien. “I think that’s what the NFL wants to see, so we’re trying to do things that everybody can get a look at. Safety, linebacker, maybe even as a DPR (designated pass rusher) and then on special teams.”

Griffin’s speed and effort, as promised, have consistently shown up regardless of where he lines up, though he was particularly effective setting the edge as an outside 'backer in early team sessions.

* Oklahoma DE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo took a big step forward Wednesday after he appeared to be a bit stagnant as a rusher in his first practice. With 34 ½-inch arms despite just a 6-1, 243-pound frame, the former Sooner who also has terrific first-step quickness seemingly has limitless upside. Okoronkwo was a menace in team drills and also had more success in his individual matchups than Tuesday.

* Mayfield has clearly established himself as the best quarterback in Mobile, and although inconsistent Josh Allen’s fastball is superior, the velocity behind Mayfield’s throws to the sideline really stands out. He also showed some significant juice when taking off as a runner in one team drill, a reminder of what he can do to defenses when their backs are turned.

* Arizona State’s Kalen Ballage is a really big back (6-2, 221), perhaps a little stiff, but he built on a nice opening practice Tuesday by showing off some surprising receiving ability. Ballage caught 20 passes for 91 yards as a senior, down significantly from his junior year (44-469), but he beat a linebacker on a wheel route Wednesday, then showed good body control and hands to adjust to the football and secure the catch through contact.

* Virginia DT Andrew Brown, a player our draft expert Greg Gabriel told me to watch closely Wednesday, didn’t disappoint. He has
tremendous quickness off the snap to disrupt plays in the backfield and plenty of power to go along with his speed, snap reaction and, oh yeah, the longest arms in Mobile — 35½-arms.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/01/25/arthur-arkushs-senior-bowl-day-2-notebook-ucf-te-akins-seizes-his-opportunity/ai1cien/

On 2/3/2018 at 11:23 PM, PatternMaster said:

Seems like Alex Cappa and Tyrell Crosby had solid performances as well, I would love to see the Bengals draft Crosby in the 2nd round. 

My ideal first 3 rounds would be:

1. Quenton Nelson/LG-ND

2. Tyrell Crosby/RT-Oregon

3. James Daniels/C- Iowa

Not sure what u were watching? Crosby got destroyed all week.

4 hours ago, Jpoore said:

I just call him Oscar but orokongwu or however u say it from Oklahoma, Crosby lost back to back reps on day 2 one on a outside move one inside to Oscar. Lost again to Oscar on day 3.

He won his fair share of battles too...you make it seem like he got his ass kicked every day down in Mobile. Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network draft analyst that was at the Senior Bowl and covered every practice and the game listed Crosby in his top 50 prospects so obviously he impressed scouts and coaches while he was at the game. 

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/watch-former-oregon-tackle-tyrell-crosby-puts-rusher-his-back-during-senior-bowl-practice/mwd1z79O62tvuCJIez8fMO/http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/watch-former-oregon-tackle-tyrell-crosby-puts-rusher-his-back-during-senior-bowl-practice/mwd1z79O62tvuCJIez8fMO/

I think there's no stand out OT prospect in the draft this year, every guy has some type of flaw so there's really not much difference between a guy going in the 1st or 2nd round if you ask me. If we can get Crosby in the 2nd, with his skill set and new coaching I believe we will have a quality starter for 10 years or so barring any major injury. 

OVERVIEW

Crosby is a big-bodied tackle prospect with a strong anchor and a mean streak as a run blocker. He was poised for a great junior year before injuries caused him to miss all but three games. He missed the opener due to injury, started the next two games at left tackle but suffered a broken left foot. Crosby started 12 of 13 games played in 2015 at right tackle, one year after stepping into the starting lineup because of injuries in 2014. Crosby (a top-40 tackle recruit from Henderson, Nevada) started nine games that year, including each of the final six at left and right tackle, while playing in all of the Ducks' 15 contests.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Wide body with very good combination of mass and length for the tackle spot. Drive blocker with exceptional strength. Has adequate flexibility to drop pads and land at an adequate entry point at first contact. Able to unlock hips enough to boom on smaller opponents at impact. Runs feet through contact and will often generate quality movement in running game. Possesses powerful upper body and can engulf and maul opponents when he gets into them. Not a dancing bear, but he has serviceable movement skills combined with power and arm length to recover against opponents who challenge his inside or outside edge. Hands are strong. Able to handle short pull duties. Has experience at both tackle positions.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks initial quickness. Cut-off blocks are a challenge. Doesn't always secure positioning of base blocks through footwork. Lower hit rate on second level blocks. Technique and finesse need work. Gets lazy with hand placement in pass pro and will default to swallowing opponents with wide hands. Rarely asked to make pure pass sets in Oregon offense. Needs to prove he has adequate kick-slide quickness. Mirror footwork is a little sluggish. Struggles to keep his blocks centered. Will narrow base as a drive blocker allowing opponents to slide out of side door. Body control and balance and are just average.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 2-3

NFL COMPARISON

Jermey Parnell

BOTTOM LINE

Crosby won't be a favorite of evaluators looking for a pretty tackle who wins with athleticism and technique, but he will appeal to teams who covet size, length and strength as he puts big checkmarks in those boxes. Crosby is a bulldozing right tackle prospect who can generate good movement in the run game, but he still needs to prove he has enough foot quickness and technique to sit on an island and handle quality pass rushers. He has NFL starting talent but his draft stock will be strongly influenced by how he performs at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

-Lance Zierlein

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/tyrell-crosby?id=2559836

21 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He won his fair share of battles too...you make it seem like he got his ass kicked every day down in Mobile. Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network draft analyst that was at the Senior Bowl and covered every practice and the game listed Crosby in his top 50 prospects so obviously he impressed scouts and coaches while he was at the game. 

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/watch-former-oregon-tackle-tyrell-crosby-puts-rusher-his-back-during-senior-bowl-practice/mwd1z79O62tvuCJIez8fMO/http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/watch-former-oregon-tackle-tyrell-crosby-puts-rusher-his-back-during-senior-bowl-practice/mwd1z79O62tvuCJIez8fMO/

I think there's no stand out OT prospect in the draft this year, every guy has some type of flaw so there's really not much difference between a guy going in the 1st or 2nd round if you ask me. If we can get Crosby in the 2nd, with his skill set and new coaching I believe we will have a quality starter for 10 years or so barring any major injury. 

Yeah I apalogize on that one. After I posted I went back and watched it. I was thinking about the guy from NC State at and t. Crosby did okay. But your right there isn't any ot besides Rankin that really impressed me. Its why I want to go interior oline this year bc next year is the year of the ot.

Archived