ESPN: Best teams to never win a Super Bowl

The only Bengals team to make the list was the 1976 Bengals (#14 on the list). Who went 10-4 and never made the Playoffs

METHODOLOGY

Ratings are based on the actual scores from all games that season for each team, including postseason games, and represent the degree to which each team is better or worse than the league average of that season. What matters is who you beat/lost to and by how much, and how good that opponent was based on who they beat/lost to and by how much, and so on.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22132691/nfl-best-teams-never-win-super-bowl-ranking-all-32-franchises#bengals

That 1976 season is sickening to remember.  It was my first full season as a Bengals fan, and got accustomed to the heartbreak right out of the chute.

The Bengals started 4-1 and the defending champion Stealers started 1-4.  The Bengals had pretty-much rolled until the two teams met in Pittsburgh in Week 6, but Pittsburgh won pretty big.  Both teams then won five straight to set up the rematch at Riverfront with the Bengals 9-2 and the Stealers 7-4, and Pittsburgh beat them again.  (By the way, after their 1-4 start, Pittsburgh didn't lose another game until the AFC Championship.)

The Bengals had to travel to Oakland the following Monday night to play the team that eventually won the Super Bowl that year, and lost again.  Despite a win in the final week of the season, the Bengals finished tied with the Stealers at 10-4, lost the tie-breaker, and got sent home.

I've said it before on this site, but the 1975 and 1976 Bengals were 0-4 against Pittsburgh and 21-3 against the rest of the league.  Let that sink in for a second.  

5 hours ago, schotzee said:

Both Superbowls we lost , we were the best team imo.

I couldn't agree more.

The Patriots are the new 49ers.

At least as far as "referential" treatment

some of which I don't think was even seen by the general viewing audience.

Dump pass to Kreider who streaked down the sidelines.

Refs said he stepped out of bounds.

Jumbotron in the stadium showed nothing but green around his white shoe

where the refs said he stepped out.

49er drive extended by a piling on call on LeClaire who was clearly pushed into

the pile by a 49er.  Etc.

8 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I couldn't agree more.

The Patriots are the new 49ers.

At least as far as "referential" treatment

some of which I don't think was even seen by the general viewing audience.

Dump pass to Kreider who streaked down the sidelines.

Refs said he stepped out of bounds.

Jumbotron in the stadium showed nothing but green around his white shoe

where the refs said he stepped out.

49er drive extended by a piling on call on LeClaire who was clearly pushed into

the pile by a 49er.  Etc.

I remember that play well.  I'm still upset about that call.

54 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If only our teams had also been pumped full of enough steroids to grow a 3rd nipple...

Remember Pat Matson?  Dude was as juiced as any.  The juice was in Cincinnati, but they didn't have a systematic approach to it like the Squealers did back then. 

Archived