CHANGE IS A COMIN’

Here’s what we know. Center Russell Bodine is a free agent. He started all 66 possible games since being drafted in the fourth round in 2014. The Bengals know his flaws.

As much of the criticism is deserved, there are teams in this league that look at his durability and entering his prime years as a center who see an upgrade. And, more importantly, one they’d be willing to pay for. The Bengals aren’t likely to participate in a bidding war, but there’s interest in retaining him. Nobody is writing him out of Cincinnati, certainly not his head coach.

“We want to do everything in our power to get Russell back,” Lewis said. “Russell’s been, physically, mentally a tough football player for us. He was installed there as a rookie and he’s done nothing but continue to grow and get better and frankly grow into a guy you can count on to help lead the football team. I feel really good about him. So hopefully we’ll be able to get that done. I’d like to get that done. He’d like to get that done, from what he says.”

Sure Bodine has been durable.  But to say he "has done nothing but continue to grow and get better " is laughable.  PFF ranked him as the 27th best center last year.  I find it hard to believe that anyone could look at that and say the position doesn't need an upgrade.  He's had four years and improvement has not been the trend in Bodine's play.

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He doesn’t seem to be able to move his man in the running game either.

but when you’re in a pathetic organization, you do everything in your power to bring back sub-replacement players. 

Well, if he had made a pro-bowl or two he'd be signing for too much money for the Bengals to bring him back. If Zeitler has been an average guard, he'd still be here.

I call it the Blackburn paradox.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Bodine is not a good center.  Yet, he is not the weakest link on the offensive line.  If he's easy, they sign him.  If not, he goes.  The reality is they may not be able to get someone better.

He was rated 27th in the league this year by PFF and 32nd by Bleacher Report.

if you can’t do better than that, why bother playing the games?

31 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Well, if he had made a pro-bowl or two he'd be signing for too much money for the Bengals to bring him back. If Zeitler has been an average guard, he'd still be here.

I call it the Blackburn paradox.

It’s kinda true though. Zeitler priced himself off the Bengals by playing well. But if he’d have played a bit worse, he’d be back. 

38 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He was rated 27th in the league this year by PFF and 32nd by Bleacher Report.

if you can’t do better than that, why bother playing the games?

Is there a better center available in FA?  One that isn't on the downside and looking to cash their last contract?  If so, I'm all for it.  If not....the draft could yield and even worse player. 

29 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

There are. Jensen is better. There you go. 

What makes you think the Bengals will spend $7-8M per on a center?  Maybe more if the Bills bring their checkbook.  Got to be realistic.  They aren't getting in a bidding war for Jensen.  Name a realistic target.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

What makes you think the Bengals will spend $7-8M per on a center?  Maybe more if the Bills bring their checkbook.  Got to be realistic.  They aren't getting in a bidding war for Jensen.  Name a realistic target.

Any of the centers rnds 2 thru 5

22 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

So do not try and get a good center because (shockingly) they cost money. Instead keep the guy whose instincts tell him to jump in the air (instead of cutting the legs), when a defensive lineman tries to deflect a pass. 

Makes sense 

21 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

“We want to do everything in our power to get Russell back,” Lewis said. “Russell’s been, physically, mentally a tough football player for us. He was installed there as a rookie and he’s done nothing but continue to grow and get better and frankly grow into a guy you can count on to help lead the football team. I feel really good about him. So hopefully we’ll be able to get that done. I’d like to get that done. He’d like to get that done, from what he says.”

Marvspeak for "He's coming back".

Mikespeak for "He's cheap".

To the Pit of Misery!

Archived