Many in Bengals Organization feel McCarron is better than Dalton?

11 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

After doing the QB carousel post I agree. after the music stops I don't see anyone going after him. If he is a UFA I could see a scenario where he signs for very cheaply and competes (JAX) or is deemed a potential heir (NE, NO) but I don't think the market is going to be there for him as a UFA. If I were in his shoes I would still want the opportunity, but there are lots of QBs that feel as good as McCarron on the market. Is he really a huge upgrade from Trevor Simien, Tyrod Taylor, Blake Bortles?

I think he will be pursued by another team, but as a backup/camp QB competition. Not as a franchise.

16 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I think he will be pursued by another team, but as a backup/camp QB competition. Not as a franchise.

What other team? If It's a camp competition?

It's not like I think his career is over, I just don't think there are that many questions at QB. 

Browns

Giants

Cards

Bills

Jets

Vikings

Broncos

Kirk Cousins gets one of those, Case Keenum probably gets one. Browns and Giants take Qbs 1 and 2 as they probably should. Jets still have McCown and pick highly so pairing McCown and Mayfield or Allen makes a ton of sense. Tyrod Taylor and Sam Bradford might get long looks. In my uneducated guesstimate I can only see the Bills or Cards as options. Then you throw in the Super Bowl MVP as a guy in the mix. When the carousel stops you might have 1 place for Taylor-McCarron and Bradford. 

Other than Jacksonville, I am not sure there is a team where I see an obvious pending competition. If McCarron is a FA I think he or Taylor make a ton of sense as the backup to Bortles. 

13 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

What other team? If It's a camp competition?

It's not like I think his career is over, I just don't think there are that many questions at QB. 

Browns

Giants

Cards

Bills

Jets

Vikings

Broncos

Kirk Cousins gets one of those, Case Keenum probably gets one. Browns and Giants take Qbs 1 and 2 as they probably should. Jets still have McCown and pick highly so pairing McCown and Mayfield or Allen makes a ton of sense. Tyrod Taylor and Sam Bradford might get long looks. In my uneducated guesstimate I can only see the Bills or Cards as options. Then you throw in the Super Bowl MVP as a guy in the mix. When the carousel stops you might have 1 place for Taylor-McCarron and Bradford. 

Other than Jacksonville, I am not sure there is a team where I see an obvious pending competition. If McCarron is a FA I think he or Taylor make a ton of sense as the backup to Bortles. 

Good question. I could even see him not being picked up by a team until late or mid-season due to an injury.

13 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Good question. I could even see him not being picked up by a team until late or mid-season due to an injury.

I was amazed by looking at it because it seemed so obvious to me. If the Browns are offering that at the deadline he has to have a market. But now when you look at it, The Alex Smith trade might have really F'ed him. Now he's married to a super model and a millionaire so I won't feel too bad but I always like to see guys atleast get a chance. It may never come for him. 

13 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I was amazed by looking at it because it seemed so obvious to me. If the Browns are offering that at the deadline he has to have a market. But now when you look at it, The Alex Smith trade might have really F'ed him. Now he's married to a super model and a millionaire so I won't feel too bad but I always like to see guys atleast get a chance. It may never come for him. 

How did the Alex Smith trade fuck McCarron? I hope you don't mean value wise because the Chiefs got a 3rd round pick AND the best slot CB in 2017 who is under KC control for 2 more years with cap hits of $647k and $750k, basically peanuts for a "starting" CB. Good slot corners will play 2/3rds or more snaps so he's going to see the field a lot, and isn't getting a very, very good (and young) player even better than a future draft pick that may or may not pan out?

I was never a big believer in Dalton

HOWEVER when the Oline didn't absolutely suck in 2015,  he was playing like a very good (I wont say elite because he wasn't) QB....like to the point that I believe had he not gotten hurt we could have beaten Pitt in that playoff game.

Fix the Oline and lets see if we get that version of Andy back, if we don't then it's time to move on.

9 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

How did the Alex Smith trade fuck McCarron? I hope you don't mean value wise because the Chiefs got a 3rd round pick AND the best slot CB in 2017 who is under KC control for 2 more years with cap hits of $647k and $750k, basically peanuts for a "starting" CB. Good slot corners will play 2/3rds or more snaps so he's going to see the field a lot, and isn't getting a very, very good (and young) player even better than a future draft pick that may or may not pan out?

Why does your attitude suck all the time?

It hurt the number of teams available. Did anyone expect Alex Smith to get signed long term to such a huge deal? Most considered him a bridge QB to one of the rookies. Him being traded to the Redskins and the signing took out 1 team for McCarron to potentially land at. Alex Smith on the Skins and Cousins takes up a spot that McCarron could have. 

14 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Why does your attitude suck all the time?

It hurt the number of teams available. Did anyone expect Alex Smith to get signed long term to such a huge deal? Most considered him a bridge QB to one of the rookies. Him being traded to the Redskins and the signing took out 1 team for McCarron to potentially land at. Alex Smith on the Skins and Cousins takes up a spot that McCarron could have. 

Of every post I've ever made, I'm honestly shocked that you took that one as my attitude sucking. I asked a pretty simple question and the only "mean" thing I said was that I hope you weren't talking value wise because I felt you may have been undervaluing Fuller.

4 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

After doing the QB carousel post I agree. after the music stops I don't see anyone going after him. If he is a UFA I could see a scenario where he signs for very cheaply and competes (JAX) or is deemed a potential heir (NE, NO) but I don't think the market is going to be there for him as a UFA. If I were in his shoes I would still want the opportunity, but there are lots of QBs that feel as good as McCarron on the market. Is he really a huge upgrade from Trevor Simien, Tyrod Taylor, Blake Bortles?

I would venture to guess that most GMs seeing  Andy Dalton as our starter ask themselves a simple question, "If he (AJ Mc) isn't good enough to beat out Dalton, why settle for him?"   I doubt most GMs think we are somehow hiding AJ on the bench for some insane reason. At the end of the day you need excellent QB play to win championships.   Hue Jackson is not going to convince anyone in the Browns organization that AJ McCarron is the best option considering Cousins, Foles and a few rookies are out there as well. 

You can say what you want about Nick Foles but during the playoffs he played like a true franchise QB.  It was his Joe Flacco moment.  Playoff stats are insane: 3-0, averaged 323.7 yards per game and had a QB rating of 115.7.  The fourth quarter drive yesterday was cold blooded as hell. 

I imagine Foles just eliminated one more team AJ may have gone to considering Foles has a much deeper resume and about the same age. 

Weston and Hooky are pretty much spot on, McCarron is simply the odd man out. He doesn't have a body of work any competent GM that likes his job would gamble on, you do that with rookie QBs.   I think his best option is to try and hook up with a New England, New Orleans, Jacksonville, LA Chargers or even Pittsburgh.  Might get that shot on well run team in the near future.  Steve Young wasn't a starter until he was 31. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I would venture to guess that most GMs seeing  Andy Dalton as our starter ask themselves a simple question, "If he (AJ Mc) isn't good enough to beat out Dalton, why settle for him?"   I doubt most GMs think we are somehow hiding AJ on the bench for some insane reason. At the end of the day you need excellent QB play to win championships.   Hue Jackson is not going to convince anyone in the Browns organization that AJ McCarron is the best option considering Cousins, Foles and a few rookies are out there as well. 

Add in all the Vikes QBs, Tyrod Taylor. Atleast we know this offseason will be fun. Wildcards are that both Jimmy G and Drew Brees are technically free agents too. The amount of money going out could be gigantic. 

16 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Add in all the Vikes QBs, Tyrod Taylor. Atleast we know this offseason will be fun. Wildcards are that both Jimmy G and Drew Brees are technically free agents too. The amount of money going out could be gigantic. 

LOL, yeah there is going to be BIG money thrown around and I doubt AJ gets a slice through no fault of his own. 

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I read that the Browns might wait to take their QB at #4.  Giants will probably take one at #2, but the Colts probably won't at #3.  So they may take someone like Barkley with the first pick knowing that they will still have their choice of two of the top three QB's.  

I think the Colts will take Chubb. He'd be the BPA there, and the Colts obviously don't need a QB (provided the injury and feelings heal, etc).

And how shocking would it be if the BENGALS signed Nick Foles? Huh? Just think about it...Marvin convinces Mikey to make a splash, they trade Dalton AND McCarron and sign/trade for Foles. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

I think the Colts will take Chubb. He'd be the BPA there, and the Colts obviously don't need a QB (provided the injury and feelings heal, etc).

And how shocking would it be if the BENGALS signed Nick Foles? Huh? Just think about it...Marvin convinces Mikey to make a splash, they trade Dalton AND McCarron and sign/trade for Foles. 

tradeandyforfoles.jpg

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

tradeandyforfoles.jpg

I understand it's a bit outlandish, and not within our normal modus operandi, but still...would YOU rather have Foles and Driscoll next season, or what we have now? Honest question.

Also, I love Jeff Spicoli. 

Mr. Hand: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?

Jeff Spicoli: Learning about Cuba, and having some food.

Mr. Hand: Mr.Spicoli, You're on dangerous ground here. You're causing a major disturbance on my time.

Jeff Spicoli: I've been thinking about this, Mr. Hand. If I'm here and you're here, doesn't that make it our time? Certainly, there's nothing wrong with a little feast on our time.

Mr. Hand: [takes away box of pizza from Spicoli] You're absolutrly right, Mr. Spicoli. It is our time. Yours, mine and everyone else's in this room. But it is my class.

[calls up a couple of students]

Mr. Hand: Mr. Spicoli has been kind enough to bring us a snack. Be my guest. Help yourselves. Get a Good one.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:05 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I read that the Browns might wait to take their QB at #4.  Giants will probably take one at #2, but the Colts probably won't at #3.  So they may take someone like Barkley with the first pick knowing that they will still have their choice of two of the top three QB's.  

I'm not sold on the idea that the Giants are looking to replace Eli. They have Oline issues and I expect them to take Oline imho

On 1/31/2018 at 8:42 PM, pucksinwah said:

I don't believe McCarron is anywhere close to Dalton.....

in fact I think Driscoll is better than McCarron.....

i'm open to trading both Dalton & McCarron if the deal was sweet enough....

go w/ Driscoll & "whoever" we can get n the draft....

i'd love to get Jackson out of Louisville in rd #1 to go along w/ our #12 pick who will probably be the big OT from N.D.

fix the line, then go w/ these two fleet footed QB's.... Driscoll & Jackson....

but I know it'll never happen....Bengals would never be so radical......

Praise God you are not our GM. 

4 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I understand it's a bit outlandish, and not within our normal modus operandi, but still...would YOU rather have Foles and Driscoll next season, or what we have now? Honest question.

Also, I love Jeff Spicoli. 

Unless Foles comes with Doug Pederson as HC and Frank Reich as the OC it would be a monumental waste of money.   Since Marvin would still be coach, I say no.    Might as well just fill the roster with BPAs and hope for 11-5 through sheer talent. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Unless Foles comes with Doug Pederson as HC and Frank Reich as the OC it would be a monumental waste of money.   Since Marvin would still be coach, I say no.    Might as well just fill the roster with BPAs and hope for 11-5 through sheer talent. 

Why not both? If we get to the playoffs, Foles is a better option than Andy.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Why not both? If we get to the playoffs, Foles is a better option than Andy.

It would cost too much and not improve the position much.  Marvin would have punted on 4th down in both cases.  Foles would never be as successful in our predictabke vanilla offense.

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

It would cost too much and not improve the position much.  Marvin would have punted on 4th down in both cases.  Foles would never be as successful in our predictabke vanilla offense.

True. He will probably be the next Matt Flynn this off-season. QBs get way too much credit. I always wanted to see Brady get traded to see how he would do in another system. Would he have the same success here with a different OC and head coach? How would Dalton do in New England?  Peyton Manning finally went to a  new team and had a significant drop off. But people will only blame age for that. Yes, he won a Super Bowl with them, but he was Trent Dilfer in that game.

Archived