Many in Bengals Organization feel McCarron is better than Dalton?

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

True. He will probably be the next Matt Flynn this off-season. QBs get way too much credit. I always wanted to see Brady get traded to see how he would do in another system. Would he have the same success here with a different OC and head coach? How would Dalton do in New England?  Peyton Manning finally went to a  new team and had a significant drop off. But people will only blame age for that. Yes, he won a Super Bowl with them, but he was Trent Dilfer in that game.

I agree with the first part, I wonder why everyone wasn't clamoring for Foles over the past couple of offseasons? I mean, the dude was available to sign for pennies for a while. He also looked pretty bad for the first 2 or 3 games this season that he had to start. He caught fire against Minnesota and New England but there's no way I'd break the bank and trade our franchise QB to get a guy that played a handful of good games in the past 3-4 years. He had an impressive run in 2013 and played some great football in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl this year, but he's looked awfully mediocre in between those time periods.

As far as Peyton Manning goes, I really disagree there. Yes, he fell off a cliff the one year even though they won the Super Bowl, but don't you remember Manning in Denver for the first 2-3 years? He had the best season of his career at 37 years old playing in Denver. I really don't think you should use Manning as the posterboy for the "a lot of guys are system QBs" defense. If anything, Manning is one of the very few that proved he WASN'T a system QB with Indianapolis. I'd put his 2012 - 2014 against any other 3 years of his prime. He didn't have a significant drop off when he went to a different team, he had a significant drop off 3 or 4 years after that.

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I agree with the first part, I wonder why everyone wasn't clamoring for Foles over the past couple of offseasons? I mean, the dude was available to sign for pennies for a while. He also looked pretty bad for the first 2 or 3 games this season that he had to start. He caught fire against Minnesota and New England but there's no way I'd break the bank and trade our franchise QB to get a guy that played a handful of good games in the past 3-4 years. He had an impressive run in 2013 and played some great football in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl this year, but he's looked awfully mediocre in between those time periods.

As far as Peyton Manning goes, I really disagree there. Yes, he fell off a cliff the one year even though they won the Super Bowl, but don't you remember Manning in Denver for the first 2-3 years? He had the best season of his career at 37 years old playing in Denver. I really don't think you should use Manning as the posterboy for the "a lot of guys are system QBs" defense. If anything, Manning is one of the very few that proved he WASN'T a system QB with Indianapolis. I'd put his 2012 - 2014 against any other 3 years of his prime. He didn't have a significant drop off when he went to a different team, he had a significant drop off 3 or 4 years after that.

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

True. He will probably be the next Matt Flynn this off-season. QBs get way too much credit. I always wanted to see Brady get traded to see how he would do in another system. Would he have the same success here with a different OC and head coach? How would Dalton do in New England?  Peyton Manning finally went to a  new team and had a significant drop off. But people will only blame age for that. Yes, he won a Super Bowl with them, but he was Trent Dilfer in that game.

If Foles goes to New Orleans, Pittsburgh, or New England  he might be very successful.  He is only 28.  Again, Steve Young became a starter at 31.   We have seen what he can do with good coaching and with bad aka Chip Kelly.  That said, no way we spend a bunch of money for him.  He won't be successful here. 

17 hours ago, kennethmw said:

He was good this year, but historically he hasn't been this good.

Wasn't he something like 27 TD's to only 2 INT's in 2013?

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

It would cost too much and not improve the position much.  Marvin would have punted on 4th down in both cases.  Foles would never be as successful in our predictabke vanilla offense.

I don't know man. The guy has a better arm and knack for the game than Dalton does, even if he were hamstrung by other aspects of the team.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

True, but how long had it been since he'd started, or even had reps with the 1st string offense? After shaking off the rust he was obviously good. As to why nobody wanted him, IDK. I always thought he was a victim of Chip Kelly, then just kinda sank into obscurity...along with Case Keenum, whom Foles is better than.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:25 PM, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sold on the idea that the Giants are looking to replace Eli. They have Oline issues and I expect them to take Oline imho

Eli will be 37 next year and the Giants haven't drafted this high since taking Eli in 2004.  Add in a strong QB class to choose from and I'd say it's a very real possibility that the Giants draft Eli's replacement at #2.  Eli himself has commented that he would understand and accept it if the Giants do go that route.  Doubtful he would say that if the writing wasn't on the wall.

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Eli will be 37 next year and the Giants haven't drafted this high since taking Eli in 2004.  Add in a strong QB class to choose from and I'd say it's a very real possibility that the Giants draft Eli's replacement at #2.  Eli himself has commented that he would understand and accept it if the Giants do go that route.  Doubtful he would say that if the writing wasn't on the wall.

After Eli,  that legendary QB from Ole Miss'  who won 2 Super Bowls  showed his talent at halftime, I think he has a great future in sports broadcasting.

What a flit.

17 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Wasn't he something like 27 TD's to only 2 INT's in 2013?

I don't know man. The guy has a better arm and knack for the game than Dalton does, even if he were hamstrung by other aspects of the team.

True, but how long had it been since he'd started, or even had reps with the 1st string offense? After shaking off the rust he was obviously good. As to why nobody wanted him, IDK. I always thought he was a victim of Chip Kelly, then just kinda sank into obscurity...along with Case Keenum, whom Foles is better than.

He was good in 2013, but then in 2014 he looked pretty mediocre or worse as the starter until he was IR'd midseason. In 2015 he wasn't good in St. Louis. In 2016 he backed up Alex Smith and looked OK when he came in but nothing special. I'm just saying I'd be really careful about trading your franchise QB and other pieces just to get a guy who was good in 2013 and then played well in only a handful of games from 2014 - 2017 while bouncing around the league. It doesn't seem like the smartest move to make, especially when we have our starter locked up for 3 more years waaaaay under the going rate for starting NFL QBs right now.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

After Eli,  that legendary QB from Ole Miss'  who won 2 Super Bowls  showed his talent at halftime, I think he has a great future in sports broadcasting.

What a flit.

WTF? Dude, that's kind of fucked up and just unnecessary. Is this a Bengals board or Stormfront?

24 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

He was good in 2013, but then in 2014 he looked pretty mediocre or worse as the starter until he was IR'd midseason. In 2015 he wasn't good in St. Louis. In 2016 he backed up Alex Smith and looked OK when he came in but nothing special. I'm just saying I'd be really careful about trading your franchise QB and other pieces just to get a guy who was good in 2013 and then played well in only a handful of games from 2014 - 2017 while bouncing around the league. It doesn't seem like the smartest move to make, especially when we have our starter locked up for 3 more years waaaaay under the going rate for starting NFL QBs right now.

WTF? Dude, that's kind of fucked up and just unnecessary. Is this a Bengals board or Stormfront?

If the mods cleaned up every post that somebody deems unnecessary on this board, there would be nothing left. 

11 minutes ago, Hooky said:

If the mods cleaned up every post that somebody deems unnecessary on this board, there would be nothing left. 

I think there's a pretty clear line between calling someone an asshole or making a joke and then outright slurs. Just my opinion, but I don't think there's room for that on a sports message board. There are ways to poke fun or make a joke without using literal racial or homophobic slurs.

The whole "it's not offensive because everyone finds different things offensive" is a very silly argument to use to defend blatant slurs. I must say it's been a pretty popular type of defense lately though on social media.

Poster1 - *something super racist*

Poster2 - "Well I think that's a bit unnecessary"

Poster1 - "WOW WHAT ARE YOU A BIG PUSSY OMG EVERYTHING OFFENDS YOU WE CAN'T JUST GET RID OF EVERYTHING THAT OFFENDS OR THERE WOULD BE NOTHING LEFT!!!"

It's just a shameful way of defending someone being blatantly homophobic or racist. I'm not a fan of that shit whatsoever. When throwing around a racial/homophobic epithet is allowed in the sports section of a message board is when I'll be finding a new place to hang around.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Fixt.   

9 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Who are you calling shameful, motherfucker?  That offends me. I don't even know what set you off. Was it "fruitcake"? You've never used that? As in "nutty as a fruitcake"? 

It's over and dealt with. Probably best to just let it go.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Plus, Eli's a fag wonderful boy. 

I keed, I keed!

(I had to look up "flit" to see that it was an obscure, older word for a homosexual. I thought it meant "move quickly" so I didn't get the reference at first.)

I didn't know what it meant either.

I thought he just misspelled "fit"...i.e. since most broadcasters are nothing more than "say nothing, but figuratively sing and dance"...anyway, I guess my brain read/interpreted it as "fit" since I've never heard of that other term before in a negative sense...oh well.

24 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Well, we learned something today re: the thread topic. Eli Manning is better than Andy Dalton, and AJ McCarron is his lover.

The top 3 threads right now are all about McCletus and more importantly why he or, for that matter, any bum off the street can & should replace Dalton.  

2015 called but they said we can keep the dead horse, they don't want it..

11 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Ken Keasy or one of the other Merry Pranksters edited my post.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, really.

I was inferring that the Manning/Beckham Super Bowl commercial was about the gayest thing I have seen on TV

in quite awhile.  

And I don't know what Stormfront is but that's OK.

And no offense taken by your post.  

I was with them up 'til that last part.

Honestly - #Bengals have to take advantage of that in 18 & 19 with smart spending at other positions.

:read:

18 & 19 with smart spending at other

:23:

spending

:24:

According to Hobson we are already over the 2027 salary cap, so y'know, don't expect any "big moves".  Because that is totally something that a Bengals fan expects to see ever

Archived