Buh bye, Jeremy

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/31/jeremy-hill-says-goodbye-cincinnati-bengals/1084431001/

Jeremy Hill says goodbye to the Cincinnati Bengals

Jim Owczarski, jowczarski@enquirer.com

Jeremy Hill's last game with the Cincinnati Bengals was on Oct. 29, 2017, when he rushed four times for 11 yards against the Indianapolis Colts. 

A week later, as the team prepared to play in Jacksonville, Hill was a surprise inactive and then – to the surprise of head coach Marvin Lewis – elected to have season-ending ankle surgery.

An unrestricted free agent in 2018, the 25-year-old made a business decision. With the drafting of Joe Mixon, and the starting reins about to be handed to the rookie, and an already-reduced role, Hill decided he had to get healthy for potential new suitors come March. 

"I had some bone spurs build up in my ankle the past few years, just from rolling it, playing through it," Hill told The Enquirer. "I rolled it in practice (leading up to Jacksonville) and it just wasn't the same. Just couldn't do the things I wanted to do. At that point in the season, they decided to go forward with Joe and my people, my family and myself, we just thought it would be best for me to have surgery and make sure I'm good to go going forward, putting my career over this season.

"That was a decision that I felt was best for me going forward and that's what I did."

After the season, he held the door open – slightly – for a return. But on Wednesday, Hill tweeted "Been one hell of a ride Cincinnati on to the next chapter"

Despite being phased out of the offense after Mixon was drafted and putting up his worst season, statistically, in four years with the Bengals, Hill said it was not a difficult year to go through.

"Not at all," he said. "I think this league presents all different type of challenges. Guys have gone through a lot more than I have. I've had the best of both worlds in that way, the highest of highs and lowest of lows in this league. That's just part of it. Every player has their own journey that they go through and this is just part of mine."

Hill, a second-round pick out of LSU in 2014, ran for 1,124 yards as a rookie that year. He then led the NFL in rushing touchdowns with 11 in 2015, but he's rushed for just 3.7 yards per carry and 955 total rushing yards in 22 games from 2016-17.

He enters a crowded running back market that could be led by Pittsburgh All-Pro Le'Veon Bell, but Hill is one of the youngest free agent runners hitting free agency.

"I'm not nervous at all," he said. "I think the chips will fall where they may and I'm good with that going forward. I'm going to put the work in and when you do that you can sleep good at night knowing you did everything you could, and that's what I'm going to do."

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

No, you can't fumble the chips mu-fugger! The chips need to be held with 3 points of contact and never hit the ground.

This is why you'll be a Cleveland Brown next year.

I think he and Bovine go to the Patriots and get a Super Bowl ring and trip to the Pro Bowl next year.

1/2 :ninja:

He may not have handled himself well the last couple of years, but the drop in his YPC had as much to do with virtually benching our FB Hewitt & more recently our total shitheap OL as anything. Then of course there's also him catching the blame for "losing the WC game" even though his fumble would've been an afterthought if Adam Dipshit Jones could not act like a drunken teenager for a moment, and then having the team decide that instead of riding whoever was producing, or using their RB's situationally, they would alternate series like some kind of 7-year old kickball team where being "fair" is more important than winning games.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Hill that a new team couldn't fix. I for one hope he goes somewhere that's not afraid to line up and run over a defense instead of trying to outsmart them.

I also think it's amusing that when Gio was forced into a feature back role, he did nothing but produce.  2 high draft picks trying to replace the dude & he's out there outplaying both of them. 

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Hey may not have handled himself well the last couple of years, but the drop in his YPC had as much to do with virtually benching our FB Hewitt & more recently our total shitheap OL as anything. Then of course there's also him catching the blame for "losing the WC game" even though his fumble would've been an afterthought if Adam Dipshit Jones could not act like a drunken teenager for a moment, and then having the team decide that instead of riding whoever was producing, or using their RB's situationally, they would alternate series like some kind of 7-year old kickball team where being "fair" is more important than winning games.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Hill that a new team couldn't fix. I for one hope he goes somewhere that's not afraid to line up and run over a defense instead of trying to outsmart them.

I also think it's amusing that when Gio was forced into a feature back role, he did nothing but produce.  2 high draft picks trying to replace the dude & he's out there outplaying both of them. 

no fumble.. Bengals run the clock out.. no opportunity for Adam to act like that..

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

no fumble.. Bengals run the clock out.. no opportunity for Adam to act like that..

So the Bengals had two opportunities to not fuck up and they blew them both.  Adios, butterfingers.  Too bad Jones isn't on the same train out of town.

10 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Yeah, the fumble sucked, but even the greatest RB's coughed one up sometimes.  You know what the greatest RB's didn't do? Repeatedly draw idiotic penalties because they weren't able to control themselves on or off the field.

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Hey may not have handled himself well the last couple of years, but the drop in his YPC had as much to do with virtually benching our FB Hewitt & more recently our total shitheap OL as anything. Then of course there's also him catching the blame for "losing the WC game" even though his fumble would've been an afterthought if Adam Dipshit Jones could not act like a drunken teenager for a moment, and then having the team decide that instead of riding whoever was producing, or using their RB's situationally, they would alternate series like some kind of 7-year old kickball team where being "fair" is more important than winning games.

This

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

FWIW, Gio was drafted higher than both of them (same round, just earlier in it).

I don't hate Jeremy Hill... he just isn't that good.

The O-line was pretty good his rookie year and he had a good year...I was all in on him..

He got worse each year...and fumbled away a win in the biggest moment of his career.

His vision is terrible...there can be a big hole to the left or right and he runs right up the o-lines ass.

Mixon and Gio are both better...

Like I said earlier...thanks for the great rookie season..but bye

Good luck were ever you go..unless it's the stealers, clowns, rats or cowboys..

Not sure why some are hating on Hill, it's not his fault the oline went to shit and they couldn't block worth a damn. If he goes to a team with a good passing attack and decent oline he will have success. He lead the NFL in TD's for a RB and went over a 1,000 yards during his time here so he's not a scrub. 

I wish him the best in his future endeavors and hopes he has success wherever he goes.  

On 2/3/2018 at 10:45 PM, PatternMaster said:

Not sure why some are hating on Hill, it's not his fault the oline went to shit and they couldn't block worth a damn. If he goes to a team with a good passing attack and decent oline he will have success. He lead the NFL in TD's for a RB and went over a 1,000 yards during his time here so he's not a scrub. 

I wish him the best in his future endeavors and hopes he has success wherever he goes.  

I don't think most of us think he is a scrub, just that owns the worst fumble in the history of Bengal's football.  Same reason some Brown's fans still hate Earnest Byner.  

Archived