QB Carousel 2018

Definitely Looking

1.       Jets: Josh McCown is known, liked, might be back but is only a short term answer at best. Bryce Petty is known but not liked for the long-term. Christian Hackenberg is unknown and unliked. The Jets will certainly be looking for a long-term upgrade at the position. Signed McCown and Bridgewater

2.       Browns: The Browns have an underachiever in Kizer and two overachievers in Hogan and Kessler who they clearly don’t think are the answer. And the rights to choose the best QB in the draft by virtue of going 0-16. Traded for Tyrod Taylor

3.       Broncos: Denver went from having 2 possible starters at QB in Simien and Lynch to being pretty sure they have none. With a capable defense they will be in the market for a change at the position. Signed Keenum

4.       Giants: With an exceptionally strange benching mid-year where management seemed completely clueless it seems clear that the Giants are at least considering moving on. With the #2 pick they can get a very solid replacement at QB. Whether or not Eli is back for 2018 is the big question. His 19 tds were the 3rd lowest of his career.

5.       Cardinals: The Cardinals currently have no QBs under contract after Carson Palmer decided to retire. With a solid defense and offense that lacks overall talent but boasts 2 stars it will be interesting to see how Arizona decides to fill the hole. Signed Bradford and Glennon

Might Be Looking

1.       Bills: The Bills benched Tyrod Taylor before bringing him back and this offseason he is due a 6 Million dollar roster bonus March 17 and then has 10 million in base salary for 2018. It’s possible that a trade occurs but regardless most likely he is gone and the Bills will be looking. Traded Tyrod

2.       Dolphins: Miami returns Ryan Tannehill for 2018. While they are likely to role with Tannehill. He has had a solid but not spectacular career never passing for more than 27 tds or less than 12 interceptions with a career passer rating of 86.5,

3.       Ravens: Flacco had a down year but has 28 Million in dead money if they go away from him. He won’t be a free agent until 2022. It’s possible that they draft a guy and play him after all as long as they get good QB play who cares if the guy with the bigger contract is playing.

4.       Jaguars: This one is confusing. Bortles seems great one week and terrible the next. Great one year and terrible the next. It seems like the plan is to roll with him but it wouldn’t be surprising at all if they also bring in someone to compete. Re-signed Bortles for 3 years although they can get out after the first. 

5.       Vikings: Minnesota is completely up in the air with Keenum, Bridgewater and Stafford all free agents. It’s likely one of them returns the question is which one.  Signed Cousins

6.       Saints: Drew Brees is a free agent and almost certain to be retained. Brees is 39 though and they will be seeking his eventual replacement. There is some talk that it might be Taysom Hill. Signed Brees 2 years

Looking for down the road

1.       Patriots: Tom Brady is playing well and making a side career of how well he takes care of himself physically. Still he is 40 and can’t play forever. They will certainly be looking for the next Jimmy Garoppolo.

2.       Stealers: Roethlisberger was up and down this year but indicated he wants to play for a few more years despite the fact he will be 36 in March. With no clear successor on the roster It wouldn’t be a surprise if they drafted an heir apparent.

3.       Chargers: Philip Rivers had a solid year but he is a member of this group of solid QBs who is nearing the end. The team traded for Cardale Jones as developmental backup and Chargers coach Anthony Lynn is a fan but LA still might be looking for a better option for the post Rivers era.

Close to Set

1.       Bengals: I hate putting us here because I think we should be willing to look but I also think it is clear that Dalton wasn’t the biggest problem this year and he can be a good QB if given talent and stability. It’s also clear that the coach and GM don’t want to look.

2.       Colts: The only think that keeps the Colts from being set is Andrew Luck’s injury, their draft position and the fact that they have a new coach on the way. With Josh McDaniels ex QB Jacoby Brissett also on the roster one would have to believe they will at least give Luck a shot to return.

3.       Titans: Tennessee is pretty sure to give Marcus Mariotta a long leash under new Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur.

4.       Raiders: Derek Carr puts the Raiders as close to set as possible. Carr had a down year but is just heading into year 2 of a newly signed 6 year deal.

5.       Cowboys: Dak Prescott came back to earth a little bit this year but remaining solid in his second year with a weakening line and lack of weapons the Cowboys are unlikely to go in another direction.

6.       Packers: Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest of all time but he is 34 and coming off an injury. Brett Hundley isn’t a terrible option but he is heading to free agency after next year.  

7.       Bucs: Jameis Winston wasn’t great this year but he and Dirk Koetter will both be given another chance in 2018. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise if they brought in a young face to potentially replace Winston if he doesn’t rebound.

8.       49ers: You don’t trade a 2nd rounder for a guy and watch him play well and then let him walk. There is almost zero chance Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t back with the 49ers. The question is long term or a Franchise deal. Garappaolo signed a 5 year deal

Set

1.       Texans: Deshaun Watson was fantastic in his first year with the Texans although it ended in injury. He looks like the real deal and they are certain to give him the chance to prove it.

2.       Chiefs: With the Alex Smith trade the Chiefs have officially moved on to Patrick Mahones. Interesting to see a team reach their ceiling and then move on to try to get better.

3.       Eagles: Carson Wentz was in the MVP race this year prior to his injury. He will be back and a lock to start.

4.       Redskins: Newly acquired Alex Smith immediately signed a huge deal ensuring he won’t be just a bridge to the next Rookie QB.

5.       Bears: Mitch Trubisky will get a chance to be the man with recent hire Matt Nagy guiding the Bears.

6.       Lions: Matthew Stafford had one of his best years statistically and is sure to be back to keep the offense settled for new coach Matt Patricia.

7.       Falcons: Matt Ryan didn’t have a great year with only 20 TDs but with a talented team so close to the Super Bowl they are not changing a thing.

8.       Panthers: Cam Newton had a good but not great year. His lack of weapons certainly doesn’t help him. It will be interesting to see how things change with Norv Turner now calling plays.

9.       Rams: Jared Goff had a solid year under Sean McVey. He looks to continue his progression.

10.     Seahawks: Despite a poor line and lack of a running game Russell Wilson continues to be one of the games best.

Options

Free Agents

1. Kirk Cousins-The biggest free agent QB I can ever remember hitting the market. A 29 year old who will be 30 by the time the 2018 season rolls around. He has 62 career starts and has thrown for over 4,000 yards each of the last three years. He has a 99 tds to 55 ints and a career 93.7 passer rating. He may end up the highest paid player in the league shortly into free agency. Vikings 3 years 86 million

2. Jimmy Garopollo-After being traded for a 2nd rounder at about the midpoint of the year, Garopollo played in 6 games throwing for over 1500 yards, 7tds, 5ints and 96.2 passer rating. It's all but a sure thing he will be back in San Francisco. Signed 49ers

3. Drew Brees-Brees is likely to be back in New Orleans after leading the Saints to the playoffs and considered a contender. While his TDs were down, statistically he had another great year with a 103.9 passer rating. Saints 2 years 50 Million

4. Case Keenum-Keenum just had a career year with 22-7 tds vs ints, 3,500 yards and a 98.3 passer rating while leasing the Vikings to the NFC Championship game. In a QB starved league we will see if that is enough after a sub par career prior to secure one of the expected openings. Broncos 2 years 36 million

5. Sam Bradford-Cards 1 year 20 million

6. Teddy Bridgewater-Jets 1 year

7. AJ McCarron

8. Josh McCown-Jets 1 year

Trade/CC

1. Tyrod Taylor Traded Browns

2. Eli Manning

3. Nick Foles

Draft

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Rosen

3. Josh Allen

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Lamar Jackson

6. Mason Rudolph

4 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Depending on what Foles does in the Superbowl, I'm not sure I'd have Wentz as a lock. Nice anaysis overall though imo.

I don't think Foles will have an opportunity in Philadelphia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets one in a place like Arizona or Cleveland. The Browns GM is the one who brought him to KC. 

26 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't think Foles will have an opportunity in Philadelphia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets one in a place like Arizona or Cleveland. The Browns GM is the one who brought him to KC. 

You may be right bc most likely he'll be traded. Don't think he is a free agent until February of next year otherwise.

2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

You may be right bc most likely he'll be traded. Don't think he is a free agent until February of next year otherwise.

Yeah and they are in a tough cap situation if I remember correctly. You can trade him and the next team can test drive him for a year on a 7 million dollar deal. I would have to think teams like Arizona and Buffalo might be very keen on that. 

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Wow Jimmy G got paid.  Cousins has to be licking his chops after seeing that deal.  I expect the Broncos and Vikings will be after him hard. 

Just 5-10 years ago only the elite of the elite QBs would take up around 15% of their team's total salary cap (going by per year average). Now every free agent or soon to be free agent QB is getting that kind of money or even more. How absurd.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Wow Jimmy G got paid.  Cousins has to be licking his chops after seeing that deal.  I expect the Broncos and Vikings will be after him hard. 

Yeah, but only $90 mil is guaranteed...

On 2/4/2018 at 11:26 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Tyrod Taylor to Jags as backup. 

Bridgewater stays in Minnie

McCarron backs up Andy. 

Would it make more sense to get something for McCarron now?  Maybe he moves to Jags or goes to a New Orleans or LA Chargers as a backup?   Unless you can make the case that the Bengals are seriously looking at him as stepping in for Andy sooner rather than later (I don't see it myself) wouldn't it make more sense to trade him?  Taylor is a career 200 yards per game guy, classic game manager type and would want more money.  Just thinking out loud. 

On 2/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, MichaelWeston said:

That is a tough decision for the Eagles to have to make.  Foles just rolled thru the playoffs with 323 yards per game and a rating of 115.7.  Some of his passes were extraordinary.  Wentz certainly looks like the real deal. 

Maybe they should trade Wentz to us and keep Foles?  We can send them McCarron as a backup, some picks,  and trade Andy to the Browns.  Driskoll can be the backup.    A man can dream.

Archived