Bengals Dot Com Draft Composit

CIN.png12. Cincinnati Bengals

Lamar Jackson, QB, LouisvilleThe Bengals do the unexpected by drafting Dalton's successor in Jackson, who is definitely a quarterback and definitely not a receiver. It's time to move on from Dalton -- if not this year then next year. Once the Bengals do move on from Dalton, Jackson will be their quarterback of the future, most likely under a new coach too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-find-andy-daltons-successor-in-lamar-jackson/

Walter Football has us taking Derwin James again. I'm starting to really hope this happens if we don't like any of the OT picks at 12.

Pete Schrager (new mock today) has us taking Roquan Smith, another excellent prospect at a position of need.

Bleacher Report has us taking Connor Williams again, is he even a LT in the NFL?

I'm liking the mocks with us taking the BPA playmaker on board and letting us grab OL in rounds 2-3 and also completely ignoring the QB position which we don't need to waste a high pick on.

PICK

CIN.png

Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia

Total playmaker against the run and pass and was often the best player -- size be damned -- on the field in SEC games loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918207/article/peter-schrager-mock-draft-10-cardinals-trade-up-for-josh-allen?campaign=tw-nf-sf183339619-sf183339619&sf183339619=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

17 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

PICK

CIN.png

Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia

Total playmaker against the run and pass and was often the best player -- size be damned -- on the field in SEC games loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918207/article/peter-schrager-mock-draft-10-cardinals-trade-up-for-josh-allen?campaign=tw-nf-sf183339619-sf183339619&sf183339619=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

If we can address most of the oline in FA I would be good with this pick.

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

CIN.png12. Cincinnati Bengals

Lamar Jackson, QB, LouisvilleThe Bengals do the unexpected by drafting Dalton's successor in Jackson, who is definitely a quarterback and definitely not a receiver. It's time to move on from Dalton -- if not this year then next year. Once the Bengals do move on from Dalton, Jackson will be their quarterback of the future, most likely under a new coach too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-find-andy-daltons-successor-in-lamar-jackson/

I would need a new TV house.   

PICK

CIN.png

Marcus Davenport - EDGE, UTSA

Both Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap are due to become free agents after the 2018 season, so Davenport will learn from those veterans how to use this length on the edge while still making an impact as a rookie.

Round 2

46. Bengals: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Round 3

77. Bengals: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

100. Bengals: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin

Round 4

112. Bengals: Mason Cole, C, Michigan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917695/article/fourround-mock-draft-allen-goes-no-1-bills-cardinals-trade-up

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

PICK

CIN.png

Marcus Davenport - EDGE, UTSA

Both Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap are due to become free agents after the 2018 season, so Davenport will learn from those veterans how to use this length on the edge while still making an impact as a rookie.

Round 2

46. Bengals: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Round 3

77. Bengals: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

100. Bengals: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin

Round 4

112. Bengals: Mason Cole, C, Michigan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917695/article/fourround-mock-draft-allen-goes-no-1-bills-cardinals-trade-up

No tackles in 4 rounds?

:nasty:

26 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I wouldn't hate those first 3 picks too much though.

Yeah, I like each individual guy, but LT has to be addressed in the first 2 or 3 picks.  Unless we sign a FA or trade.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:37 PM, Jason said:

Yeah, I like each individual guy, but LT has to be addressed in the first 2 or 3 picks.  Unless we sign a FA or trade.

In other words, LT has to be addressed in the first 2 or 3 picks. 

12. Cincinnati: OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

If Vea were here, I think it would make for quite the internal struggle when weighing best player available and glaring team need for the Bengals. Last year, it seems positional need won out over BPA when they took John Ross with some like O.J. Howard, Malik Hooker and others still on the board. But that’s last year and wide receiver wasn’t nearly as glaring a need as left tackle will be on draft day this season.

The Bengals can take the best offensive tackle in this draft. Being able to say that sentence is a win in itself and a huge step toward leaving the offensive black mark of ranking 32nd in the rearview mirror. There is no Orlando Pace in this draft, as Bengals personnel director Duke Tobin said. But landing an effective starter at one of the game’s most important positions is not a bad haul. McGlinchey looks the part at 6-8, 312. He comes from football bloodlines as Matt Ryan’s first cousin and coaches and evaluators alike have praised his work ethic. He can be a plug-and-play starter on opening day as part of the offensive line reconstruction.

• Mayock on McGlinchey: "The reason I have him as the No. 1 tackle in the draft ... I love two things about Mike McGlinchey. I love that he got coached by Harry Hiestand at Notre Dame, which tells me when he comes out, he's going to be ready to play. I don't care if you put him at right tackle or left tackle, he's going to be ready to play. And, number two, his work ethic and passion for the game of football is unparalleled. So I know what I'm getting with that kid, and that's why I bang the table for him."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/05/paul-dehner-jr-bengals-mock-draft/393731002/

12.BENGALS - OLB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

OK, we’re on the phone and we have been on the phone with Rosen sliding beyond six. We try to swing a deal with Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News. We offer the Bills No. 12 for No. 21 and left tackle Cordy Glenn. No go. Carucci thinks Rosen is the fourth QB for a reason and isn't going that far to get him. Plus, he figures they can sit and get Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph.

And the Glenn ask is a non-starter even though Dion Dawkins is ready to replace him. Carucci says Glenn’s pre-June 1 salary cap hit is $9.6 million and Bills GM Brandon Beane “doesn’t want that on his epitaph,” never mind his ledger.

020818-Edmunds-Tremaine-art.jpg

Tremaine Edmunds: take the impact player and get the tackle later.

The phone call to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic goes much better. If Rosen is there at 12, Somers thinks the Cardinals want him and may be willing to give up their second-rounder. We’ll start there, but take their third-rounder if it comes to that and stockpile it to add some offensive linemen.

Alas, the Dolphins pluck Rosen and the first half of the first round is complete.

Now comes our dilemma. The best players left look to be Edmunds and Florida State safety Derwin James. Solid players, but they’re not left tackles. That’s the Bengals’ gaping need and also staring at them on the board is Notre Dame tackle Mike McGlinchey.

McGlinchey is perceived as a solid prospect that’s going start for 10 years, but he’s also rated more in the 18-22 category and so the purists would say he’s a reach. To which some would say if you can project a guy as a 10-year starter at a premium position, that’s not a reach anywhere out of the top five. Grab him and be happy. Who cares if he’s 12 or 20?

This is the Levi Jones argument. When the Bengals took the Arizona State left tackle No. 10 in 2002, they got skewered for taking him half a round too high while tight end Jeremy Shockey went No. 14 and cornerback Phillip Buchanon went No. 17.

But here’s the thing. The Bengals felt Jones was athletic enough and tough enough and talented enough to fill a hole they hadn’t filled since Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz’s departure 10 years before. And Jones was, going to the cusp of the Pro Bowl and earning a second contract putting him among the NFL’s leading tackles before knee injuries curtailed his career.

What’s it matter? Ten or 14? Do you think Carson Palmer cared while Jones helped keep him clean in the NFL’s most blood-thirsty division?

(And, remember, the Colts got ripped for picking Dwight Freeney right after Jones at No. 11 when he was ranked as a late first-rounder. See you in Canton.)

And maybe you have to look at last year, too. The Bengals went with their board (and need) when they drafted speed wide receiver John Ross at No. 9. But they also had another glaring need with the departure of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and 2015 first-round pickCedric Ogbuehi’s struggles. They didn’t have Wisconsin tackle Ryan Ramczyk rated that highly and they must have been right because he didn’t go until the last pick of the first round. Yet he blocked Drew Brees’ blind side well enough that the Saints went to the playoffs.

And McGlinchey figures to go a lot sooner than that.

So what’s the difference taking him at 12, 15, or 21?

Need or board?

But when in doubt, go with the best player and that looks to be the 6-4, 250-pound Edmunds. Yes, we took James last month, but Edmunds wasn’t available. Here’s a guy with top ten talent and a vaulted ceiling.

He’s only 19, raw, and he’s played just two seasons. But his upside is soaring and teamed with Vontaze Burfict that can make the Bengals very dangerous as one of those rare three-down backers. He led Tech in tackles (109), tackles for loss (14), sacks (5.5) and forced fumbles (three). You can pretty much line him up anywhere, including the edge, as well as dropping him.

You want turnovers? The scouts say he’s got great burst off the ball along with terrific closing speed. He’s a good tackler, they say, and causes the kind of high-impact collisions that get the ball out, two elements this defense needs badly.

Need or board? It appears there are still promising offensive tackles with similar grades to McGlinchley's. Get the tackle next, then.

We go with best player available.

But we’ll keep calling.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Media-Mock-Draft-on-call/e8fbf951-0cc0-4ba7-91f1-3285bcbe4a6c?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Archived