Bengals Dot Com Draft Composit

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

The year Dalton was good he had a dynamic TE (and 2 more good WRs admittedly).  Gesicki is a guy I think who could provide that, and better blocking can be taught if the guy is willing.

May be moot though, he may not make it to 46.

Eifert is 100x the blocker in the NFL (in 2015 the year you are referencing) than Gesicki projects to be though. We had a great 2 way TE that year, Gesicki is not that. You were the guy who also told me that Ogbuehi could easily be taught to block at the NFL level. I don't think it's as simple as you always make it seem to be.

You're not giving Eifert enough credit as a blocker and you make it sound so simple to develop these prospects.

11 hours ago, schotzee said:

He's a playmaker, Gronk isn't known as a blocker either is he?

I want to come back to this because I responded to the first part and didn't even realize what you said afterwards.

.......are you trolling me right now?

You do realize that Gronk has been widely considered one of the best run blocking TEs in the entire NFL over many years of his career, right? You have to be joking by bringing up Gronk...please tell me you were trolling.

You probably should have said Jimmy Graham or one of the other guys who doesn't even try to block half the time.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I want to come back to this because I responded to the first part and didn't even realize what you said afterwards.

.......are you trolling me right now?

You do realize that Gronk has been widely considered one of the best run blocking TEs in the entire NFL over many years of his career, right? You have to be joking by bringing up Gronk...please tell me you were trolling.

You probably should have said Jimmy Graham or one of the other guys who doesn't even try to block half the time.

No. My point was, when people think of Gronk, is it for his receiving abilities or blocking abilities? My question was pretty clear.

3 minutes ago, schotzee said:

No. My point was, when people think of Gronk, is it for his receiving abilities or blocking abilities? My question was pretty clear.

Both which is why Gronkowski is a future first ballot HOFer.

You really can't bring up Gronk in this conversation, the argument doesn't work. Gronk is one of the best 2 way TEs to ever play the game, Gesicki is a receiving option ONLY ala Jimmy Graham (but a prospect and not proven talent like Graham).

30 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Both which is why Gronkowski is a future first ballot HOFer.

You really can't bring up Gronk in this conversation, the argument doesn't work. Gronk is one of the best 2 way TEs to ever play the game, Gesicki is a receiving option ONLY ala Jimmy Graham (but a prospect and not proven talent like Graham).

Fair enough.

1 minute ago, schotzee said:

Fair enough.

Yeah I deleted my other post because I was just being a dick for no real reason. I understand that people may think of Gronk as a receiver "first", but that doesn't make him NOT a good blocker, ya know? Gesicki just legitimately isn't a good blocker in general which scares me because I don't think we need that skillset. Kroft and Uzomah are both terrible blocking TEs so do we need to use a 2nd round pick on a 3rd terrible blocking TE? I don't like it myself even though Goedert and Gesicki are both intriguing prospects.

If you guys really want another 1 dimensional TE it's fine, but Gesicki in particular has been an awful blocker since high school so I can't see that magically changing in the pros. I feel like taking either of those top TEs would be like just taking a big WR.

4 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah I deleted my other post because I was just being a dick for no real reason. I understand that people may think of Gronk as a receiver "first", but that doesn't make him NOT a good blocker, ya know? Gesicki just legitimately isn't a good blocker in general which scares me because I don't think we need that skillset. Kroft and Uzomah are both terrible blocking TEs so do we need to use a 2nd round pick on a 3rd terrible blocking TE? I don't like it myself even though Goedert and Gesicki are both intriguing prospects.

If you guys really want another 1 dimensional TE it's fine, but Gesicki in particular has been an awful blocker since high school so I can't see that magically changing in the pros. I feel like taking either of those top TEs would be like just taking a big WR.

Lol. That is why "NFL talent evaluator" is not on my resume.

*21. Bengals (from Bills) — James Daniels, C, Iowa: Though Glenn is joining the fold, Cincinnati's O-line woes won't be fixed by one addition. Daniels would be an improvement in the pivot over Russell Bodine, who's headed for free agency.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/03/13/nfl-mock-draft-2018-bengals-bills-trade-first-round/418198002/

PICK

CIN.png

Will Hernandez - OG, UTEP

The Bengals are looking to become more of a power-running squad with Joe Mixon as the centerpiece. Hernandez is a furniture mover with the strength and explosiveness to maul defenders at the point of attack.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921513/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-20-Stealers-among-5-clubs-picking-qb?campaign=tw-cf-sf184667619-sf184667619&sf184667619=1

I thought it was interesting, Marvin Lewis attended Josh Rosen's pro day personally. I also read that he will be attending Baker Mayfield's as well. Could this be smokescreens of interest should either of them fall to 21? I'd be quite shocked if they take a QB with the first pick, unless maybe VanPelt is clamoring for one ?!

33 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I thought it was interesting, Marvin Lewis attended Josh Rosen's pro day personally. I also read that he will be attending Baker Mayfield's as well. Could this be smokescreens of interest should either of them fall to 21? I'd be quite shocked if they take a QB with the first pick, unless maybe VanPelt is clamoring for one ?!

Marvin just wanted to check out the UCLA cheerleaders. 

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Or he’s there to check out Miller and Brown. 

CIN.png21. Cincinnati Bengals (from BUF)

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. The Bengals took a step toward addressing their offensive line woes by acquiring left tackle Cordy Glenn from the Bills and moving down to this pick. They should keep adding talent to the position with McGlinchey, who is a fit at either tackle spot. He'll slot in at right tackle initially but could move to the left side if Glenn can't stay healthy. Either way, drafting the Notre Dame standout puts the Bengals halfway to fixing their line issues.

CIN.png46. Cincinnati Bengals

Martinas Rankin, C, Mississippi State. The Bengals keep attacking their offensive line issues by taking Rankin, who should be a great fit at center in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2018-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-down-then-up-as-qbs-go-1-2-3/

37 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

CIN.png21. Cincinnati Bengals (from BUF)

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. The Bengals took a step toward addressing their offensive line woes by acquiring left tackle Cordy Glenn from the Bills and moving down to this pick. They should keep adding talent to the position with McGlinchey, who is a fit at either tackle spot. He'll slot in at right tackle initially but could move to the left side if Glenn can't stay healthy. Either way, drafting the Notre Dame standout puts the Bengals halfway to fixing their line issues.

CIN.png46. Cincinnati Bengals

Martinas Rankin, C, Mississippi State. The Bengals keep attacking their offensive line issues by taking Rankin, who should be a great fit at center in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2018-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-down-then-up-as-qbs-go-1-2-3/

I wouldn't hate that.

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wouldn't hate that.

My only concern is that the Bengals appear to need an immediate starter at Center and I see Rankin as a bit more of a project than Daniles or Ragnow. Having said that McGlinchey and a Center wouldn't be a bad two round investment.

14 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

My only concern is that the Bengals appear to need an immediate starter at Center and I see Rankin as a bit more of a project than Daniles or Ragnow. Having said that McGlinchey and a Center wouldn't be a bad two round investment.

I agree. We don't need a guy who they project can play center. We need a center...one who has proven he can man that position and do it well.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some dude on NFL.com made a random comment about Rankin possibly being better at C than at G or T and it seems it ended up spilling into other areas now but it's nothing more than just a random thought that a single analyst was speculating on. Haven't heard any quotes or thoughts that Rankin will be anything but an OT from scouts or other analysts before Lance Zierlein mentioned it and now other outlets are running with it.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

If Price weren’t injured he’d be my #1 guy. I’m just snakebit on injured first round draft picks. 

I get it. But if the recovery timeline is pretty safe and it's basically guaranteed he'll be ready by August, I'm fine with it. 

Price isn't like Ross or Ogbuehi who had multiple injury issues in college. He started 55 straight games. 

Edit to add: He had the surgery on March 6th and it's supposed to be a 4-month recovery. That would have him healthy July 6th. So there's a 3-week cushion before the start of training camp. 

3 hours ago, happyrid said:

I get it. But if the recovery timeline is pretty safe and it's basically guaranteed he'll be ready by August, I'm fine with it. 

Price isn't like Ross or Ogbuehi who had multiple injury issues in college. He started 55 straight games. 

Edit to add: He had the surgery on March 6th and it's supposed to be a 4-month recovery. That would have him healthy July 6th. So there's a 3-week cushion before the start of training camp. 

Our track record of luck with injuries isn't so good though.

Archived