Bengals Dot Com Draft Composit

4 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I do too. I think we go BPA on defense and possibly trade up in the 2nd to get the center we want.

There are 3 good starting centers in the draft. They are unlikely to all go in the top 45. We could have a preference though. Price could be there at 40 and we may like him the most. 

I really, really hope we draft a good OT.  I know the conventional wisdom lately is that we don't need one, since we traded for a guy that hasn't been healthy in 3 years and another that was accused of quitting on his last team...  But, y'know, just in case that seemingly-foolproof plan were to somehow not work out.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I really, really hope we draft a good OT.  I know the conventional wisdom lately is that we don't need one, since we traded for a guy that hasn't been healthy in 3 years and another that was accused of quitting on his last team...  But, y'know, just in case that seemingly-foolproof plan were to somehow not work out.

I could see a guard/tackle type in round 1. I like Wynn a lot. LT for Georgia but short and will have to move inside. Connor Williams was a highly thought of LT until an injury filled junior year and short arms at the combine. Talk he could move inside.

I think it's more likely they are content with what they have on the roster now for starters. Maybe take a tackle in round 3 or later for depth.

14 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I think it's more likely they are content with what they have on the roster now for starters.

Our OL was complete dogshit last year.  Even if both Glenn & Hart work out, and that's a big "if", we'd still be one injury away from return to dogshit status.  I don't understand this team's reluctance to build depth at what is arguably the most important position on offense. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Our OL was complete dogshit last year.  Even if both Glenn & Hart work out, and that's a big "if", we'd still be one injury away from return to dogshit status.  I don't understand this team's reluctance to build depth at what is arguably the most important position on offense. 

I think we are 100% drafting a new starting center. Traded for a new good LT. Those were the 2 biggest poop spots in the line last year. We probably draft a right tackle or guard for depth at some point. We'll be fine hopefully.

Plus PA is gone so all the OL is instantly better!

The o-line is obviously a work in progress and it's going to take some time to fix it.  Moves have been made to address glaring holes and there are going to be more to come.  Four picks in the top 100 pretty much guarantees they can use at least two of them to land a center and either a guard or tackle.  Center is the more immediate need, but I'm realistic about it.  It's not likely that everything works out perfectly with injuries and player development.  It might take multiple off seasons to get a unit that is good enough to compete with the best teams.

Regarding McShays mock....it's hard to envision them passing on McClinchey to take Evans, and that's not because I don't like Evans, but I just can't see it. I think McClinchey is the answer to their RT need, which I still see as a huge one, and their answer down the road to replace Glenn. I think if we could get him we'd be setiing ourselves up well for the future and it would represent forward thinking. He reminds me so much of Andrew Whitworth and the negative, but wrong, press he received when he was drafted out of LSU. Give McClinchey some seasoning at RT and a decent OL coach, which we now have, to fix his few and minor correctable flaws and I think you're talking about a building block for the future of this franchise. All the basics are there for this young man and just need refinement. Nothing about him causes me concern or alarm and is an issue that can't be corrected by technique. I think he has it all and perhaps would represent the key to this draft, in fact, but my concern is he will be gone at #21.  

10 hours ago, bengaled said:

Regarding McShays mock....it's hard to envision them passing on McClinchey to take Evans, and that's not because I don't like Evans, but I just can't see it. I think McClinchey is the answer to their RT need, which I still see as a huge one, and their answer down the road to replace Glenn. I think if we could get him we'd be setiing ourselves up well for the future and it would represent forward thinking. He reminds me so much of Andrew Whitworth and the negative, but wrong, press he received when he was drafted out of LSU. Give McClinchey some seasoning at RT and a decent OL coach, which we now have, to fix his few and minor correctable flaws and I think you're talking about a building block for the future of this franchise. All the basics are there for this young man and just need refinement. Nothing about him causes me concern or alarm and is an issue that can't be corrected by technique. I think he has it all and perhaps would represent the key to this draft, in fact, but my concern is he will be gone at #21.  

I agree.  If McGlinchey is there at 21 I'd have a hard time passing on him for anyone still available in that mock.  Especially since in his mock we still get Price at 46.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I agree.  If McGlinchey is there at 21 I'd have a hard time passing on him for anyone still available in that mock.  Especially since in his mock we still get Price at 46.

McGlinchey and Price, with the first two picks, would have me jumping up and down and about as satisfied as I've been in a long, long while over the start of the draft. The would be the start to a dream draft, if it occurred that way.

29 minutes ago, bengaled said:

McGlinchey and Price, with the first two picks, would have me jumping up and down and about as satisfied as I've been in a long, long while over the start of the draft. The would be the start to a dream draft, if it occurred that way.

Just need someone to hide the keys to the Lumina & unplug the golf cart. 

Archived