Bengals Dot Com Draft Composit

20 hours ago, oldschooler said:

12.BENGALS - OLB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

OK, we’re on the phone and we have been on the phone with Rosen sliding beyond six. We try to swing a deal with Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News. We offer the Bills No. 12 for No. 21 and left tackle Cordy Glenn. No go. Carucci thinks Rosen is the fourth QB for a reason and isn't going that far to get him. Plus, he figures they can sit and get Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph.

And the Glenn ask is a non-starter even though Dion Dawkins is ready to replace him. Carucci says Glenn’s pre-June 1 salary cap hit is $9.6 million and Bills GM Brandon Beane “doesn’t want that on his epitaph,” never mind his ledger.

020818-Edmunds-Tremaine-art.jpg

Tremaine Edmunds: take the impact player and get the tackle later.

The phone call to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic goes much better. If Rosen is there at 12, Somers thinks the Cardinals want him and may be willing to give up their second-rounder. We’ll start there, but take their third-rounder if it comes to that and stockpile it to add some offensive linemen.

Alas, the Dolphins pluck Rosen and the first half of the first round is complete.

Now comes our dilemma. The best players left look to be Edmunds and Florida State safety Derwin James. Solid players, but they’re not left tackles. That’s the Bengals’ gaping need and also staring at them on the board is Notre Dame tackle Mike McGlinchey.

McGlinchey is perceived as a solid prospect that’s going start for 10 years, but he’s also rated more in the 18-22 category and so the purists would say he’s a reach. To which some would say if you can project a guy as a 10-year starter at a premium position, that’s not a reach anywhere out of the top five. Grab him and be happy. Who cares if he’s 12 or 20?

This is the Levi Jones argument. When the Bengals took the Arizona State left tackle No. 10 in 2002, they got skewered for taking him half a round too high while tight end Jeremy Shockey went No. 14 and cornerback Phillip Buchanon went No. 17.

But here’s the thing. The Bengals felt Jones was athletic enough and tough enough and talented enough to fill a hole they hadn’t filled since Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz’s departure 10 years before. And Jones was, going to the cusp of the Pro Bowl and earning a second contract putting him among the NFL’s leading tackles before knee injuries curtailed his career.

What’s it matter? Ten or 14? Do you think Carson Palmer cared while Jones helped keep him clean in the NFL’s most blood-thirsty division?

(And, remember, the Colts got ripped for picking Dwight Freeney right after Jones at No. 11 when he was ranked as a late first-rounder. See you in Canton.)

And maybe you have to look at last year, too. The Bengals went with their board (and need) when they drafted speed wide receiver John Ross at No. 9. But they also had another glaring need with the departure of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and 2015 first-round pickCedric Ogbuehi’s struggles. They didn’t have Wisconsin tackle Ryan Ramczyk rated that highly and they must have been right because he didn’t go until the last pick of the first round. Yet he blocked Drew Brees’ blind side well enough that the Saints went to the playoffs.

And McGlinchey figures to go a lot sooner than that.

So what’s the difference taking him at 12, 15, or 21?

Need or board?

But when in doubt, go with the best player and that looks to be the 6-4, 250-pound Edmunds. Yes, we took James last month, but Edmunds wasn’t available. Here’s a guy with top ten talent and a vaulted ceiling.

He’s only 19, raw, and he’s played just two seasons. But his upside is soaring and teamed with Vontaze Burfict that can make the Bengals very dangerous as one of those rare three-down backers. He led Tech in tackles (109), tackles for loss (14), sacks (5.5) and forced fumbles (three). You can pretty much line him up anywhere, including the edge, as well as dropping him.

You want turnovers? The scouts say he’s got great burst off the ball along with terrific closing speed. He’s a good tackler, they say, and causes the kind of high-impact collisions that get the ball out, two elements this defense needs badly.

Need or board? It appears there are still promising offensive tackles with similar grades to McGlinchley's. Get the tackle next, then.

We go with best player available.

But we’ll keep calling.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Media-Mock-Draft-on-call/e8fbf951-0cc0-4ba7-91f1-3285bcbe4a6c?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Would be very OK with this.

Please, NO quarterback no matter who slides.  A trade for the slider, perhaps.

I want an impact player who can come in and start.  This guy is a freak.  Young age a concern

as far as maturity.

There should be a good OT or C in rounds two and three.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Would be very OK with this.

Please, NO quarterback no matter who slides.  A trade for the slider, perhaps.

I want an impact player who can come in and start.  This guy is a freak.  Young age a concern

as far as maturity.

There should be a good OT or C in rounds two and three.

There are a couple OTs that should be there in 2 and 2 centers that should be available with our 3rd rounders

One of the LBs would be a nice pick at 12. If the team plans on Baker starting then forget Vea even if he's there at 12. Derwin James or 1 of the 2 LBs would be my early guess right now.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I couldn't find where it mentions the tackle and safety we sign in free agency.  Did I miss it?

He didn't mention specific names. Just this ...

This is done after the Bengals declined to pick up cornerback Adam Jones' option for 2018 on Friday and there are a handful of assumed circumstances heading into this mock draft that I have the Bengals doing:

• Addressing offensive tackle in free agency.
  • Re-signing tight end Tyler Eifert to a one-year contract that is heavy on incentives.
  • Allowing center Russell Bodine to leave as a free agent.
  • Signing a veteran safety in free agency.
  • Releasing wide receiver Brandon LaFell, but bringing back defensive lineman Michael Johnson (both are in the final year of their contracts and would each provide significant salary cap relief if they are released).

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

So some unnamed free agent is going to be our starting LT?  Nope.

I doubt it happens at LT but I could definitely see them signing a new starter at RT.

Ju'Wuan James maybe? he's got the connection with Lazor, maybe it bears fruit. 

I still want Cordy Glenn via trade. 6th or 7th round pick. Coming off injury, he has already been replaced by cheaper option in buffalo. His contract averages 7 million a year for next 3 years which isn't bad for a starting LT who when healthy is a top 10 lt. Sounds like he may be getting released, please bengals make it happen

12. CINCINNATI BENGALS (7-9)

T Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

The other part of the dominant left side of Notre Dame’s offensive line, McGlinchey is a powerful run-blocker who led the nation with a 95.0 grade in the run game last season. He’s always graded well, though not exceptional, as a pass-blocker, and there were a few ugly plays on tape last season, though McGlinchey has all of the tools to be a solid left tackle at the next level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-2018-nfl-mock-draft-3

12. Derwin James, S, Florida State – Some scouts believe James could be the next Eric Berry. James is a freak athlete at 6’3″ and 215 pounds. He ran a 4.48 40-yard dash at the combine. He has the size, speed and athleticism to be a nice addition to any defense. James is extremely versatile – the Bengals could use him all over the field. Seahawks safety Earl Thomas is a big fan of James’. You’re probably wondering why I went with him over any of the offensive tackles that were available – the Bengals aren’t going to reach to fill a need. I’m not sure any of the tackles in this draft are worth the No. 12 pick. I think the Bengals feel the same way. James has the potential to be a game changer. He can help the defense as a rookie. James’ versatility to play multiple roles ensures that he’ll fit in with George Iloka and Shawn Williams, who are both under contract through the 2020 season. Watch James’ 40-yard dash and check out who the Bengals select with their other 10 picks below.

https://www.lockedonbengals.com/bengals/mock-draft-2-0-replacing-mccarron-and-protecting-andy/

if we're going BPA (which, why wouldn't you in this draft?), I truly believe that it's gonna be one of Minkah Fitzpatrick/Derwin James at 12 .....one of those safeties will go top 11 in this draft, but not both IMO.

btw, there are whispers that Roquon Smith was medically red-flagged at the combine....no idea what that's all about. 

22 minutes ago, spicoli said:

if we're going BPA (which, why wouldn't you in this draft?), I truly believe that it's gonna be one of Minkah Fitzpatrick/Derwin James at 12 .....one of those safeties will go top 11 in this draft, but not both IMO.

btw, there are whispers that Roquon Smith was medically red-flagged at the combine....no idea what that's all about. 

minka will be gone... I love James at 12

8 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

minka will be gone... I love James at 12

i don't think there are any guarantees, that's for sure...James is definitely the most dynamic of the two and offers the most upside, you just never know.....like I said, I think one goes ahead of us but not both.....I'd be ecstatic with either.

14 hours ago, spicoli said:

I call BS on the Roquaun Smith rumors.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Daniels @21 Gesicki @46

Gesicki is probably one of the worst blocking TEs available. We could really use some help in that area with pass catching being  secondary. I don't think he's the style of TE we should go after even though he's a great prospect for the right team. 

35 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Gesicki is probably one of the worst blocking TEs available. We could really use some help in that area with pass catching being  secondary. I don't think he's the style of TE we should go after even though he's a great prospect for the right team. 

He's a playmaker, Gronk isn't known as a blocker either is he?

37 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

The good news is he wouldn't be our only TE.  He's probably a better blocker than Eifert would be right now and would be almost as good a receiver.  Better actually because he might play more than 4 games.

10 hours ago, schotzee said:

He's a playmaker, Gronk isn't known as a blocker either is he?

10 hours ago, Jason said:

The good news is he wouldn't be our only TE.  He's probably a better blocker than Eifert would be right now and would be almost as good a receiver.  Better actually because he might play more than 4 games.

Guys I realize he's a good pass catching TE. Here's the problem. 

Our roster already has 2 guys who catch passes better than they can block. Kroft is an absolutely terrible blocker and Uzomah isn't much better.

Hewitt is on the other end where he's almost exclusively a blocker. 

I don't want to use a high round pick on a 1 trick pony that we don't necessarily need right now. I'd rather grab one of the more rounded TEs even if it means a slightly lesser prospect.

The year Dalton was good he had a dynamic TE (and 2 more good WRs admittedly).  Gesicki is a guy I think who could provide that, and better blocking can be taught if the guy is willing.

May be moot though, he may not make it to 46.

Archived