Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
High School Harry

Bengals Dot Com Draft Composit

Recommended Posts

Way-Too-Early Mocks: 2018 NFL Draft

Posted Feb 1, 2018

 

 

February just began and the early versions of Mock Drafts are starting to be churned out.  

You can expect plenty of changes to these mocks before the 2018 NFL Draft (April 26-28), especially with the Scouting Combine being held February 27-March 5.  Coverage of both events can be viewed on NFL Network.

.

Source (as of 2/1)

Projected Bengals Draft Selection at 12th Overall

NFL.com: Lance Zierlein

OT – Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

NFL.com: Daniel Jeremiah

OT – Connor Williams, Texas

NFL.com:  Bucky Brooks

OT – Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

CBSSports.com: Chris Trapasso

OT – Connor Williams, Texas

SBNation.com: Dan Kadar

OT – Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

SportingNews.com: Eric Galko

OT – Brian O’Neill, Pittsburgh

WalterFootball.com

S - Derwin James, Florida State

BleacherReport.com: Ryan McCrystal

S - Derwin James, Florida State

DraftTek.com

OT – Brian O’Neill, Pittsburgh

RotoWorld.com: Josh Norris

OT – Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan

CBSSports.com: R.J. White

OT – Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

ESPN.com: Mel Kiper, Jr.

LB – Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, I count 5 different OT's there.  All of them are either a reach or won't be on the board? Nothing at pick 12 but WR's I bet.  Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be an OL left that had hip replacement surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Nelson is there at 12 and the Bengals don't take him they would be idiots. Hopefully, the new oline coach will tell the team how taking a center and a guard in the first round worked out for the Cowboys oline. Nelson in the first and Crosby in the second if he's available if not then James Daniels. 

 

The Bengals need to sure up that oline with a mix of proven talent and young prospects because the cupboards are pretty bare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo, the gap between first round tackles and second round tackles is non existent. Not to mention I would put a amount of money that was substantial to Mee that brown is still there with out second round pick. Edmunds is the pick he's gotta be. Unless they go cb/safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

If Nelson is there at 12 and the Bengals don't take him they would be idiots. Hopefully, the new oline coach will tell the team how taking a center and a guard in the first round worked out for the Cowboys oline. Nelson in the first and Crosby in the second if he's available if not then James Daniels. 

 

The Bengals need to sure up that oline with a mix of proven talent and young prospects because the cupboards are pretty bare. 

They're not going to draft a center. They'll probably stick with Bodine. And they're also content with their guards. And they think they can fix their tackles. If they draft OL, it will be late. If they get FA OL help, it will be another mid-range sugar tits or Winston type signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hooky said:

They're not going to draft a center. They'll probably stick with Bodine. And they're also content with their guards. And they think they can fix their tackles. If they draft OL, it will be late. If they get FA OL help, it will be another mid-range sugar tits or Winston type signing.

They are currently looking at an injured wide receiver with potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, High School Harry said:

They are currently looking at an injured wide receiver with potential.

That set his high school track record in the 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bengals are notoriously subject to recency bias. The team made more of an effort the last 2 games than the 2 before so things are fine and the status quo continues. Mike Brown will convince himself that Boling is the answer at LT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Harley said:

Would love to see the Georgia LB drop to us. Beyond that, BPA, which is hopefully OL.

Just watching highlights of him... he doesn’t really look like anything special to me..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Imo, the gap between first round tackles and second round tackles is non existent. Not to mention I would put a amount of money that was substantial to Mee that brown is still there with out second round pick. Edmunds is the pick he's gotta be. Unless they go cb/safety.

 

No offense to your opinion but I have to believe that the 1st round OT's are not 2nd round OT's for some good reasons.  

 

If you were to say this is a deep draft for OT's, that's a different matter, but that would also indicate that guys rated to go in the 1st do belong there.

 

It's also worth noting that the Bengals could use 2 of them.  OT in both rounds & I might dance a jig.  I may even post it for your amusement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hooky said:

They're not going to draft a center. They'll probably stick with Bodine. And they're also content with their guards. And they think they can fix their tackles. If they draft OL, it will be late. If they get FA OL help, it will be another mid-range sugar tits or Winston type signing.

Marvin said Ced was holding them back.  They will draft an OT in 1 or 2 unless the players worth it are gone.

 

Sadly, you are probably right about G and C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason said:

Marvin said Ced was holding them back.  They will draft an OT in 1 or 2 unless the players worth it are gone.

 

Sadly, you are probably right about G and C.

What's the latest on Fisher's condition/surgery? That might forced them to draft an OT earlier. I just don't see them giving up on Ced yet. I'm not trying to sound like team eeyore. I truly hope I'm very wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hooky said:

What's the latest on Fisher's condition/surgery? That might forced them to draft an OT earlier. I just don't see them giving up on Ced yet. I'm not trying to sound like team eeyore. I truly hope I'm very wrong.

I’ve not heard anything definitive recently but they “expect” him to be able to play this year. But honestly I’d make sure Andre is re-signed and I’d probably draft another OT anyway. I don’t think they will though. Not early enough to be a projected starter this year anyway. And I don’t know if they will “give up” on Ced. I think they draft a tackle early but Ced will still be given an opportunity to win the job if he responds well to Pollack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jason said:

I’ve not heard anything definitive recently but they “expect” him to be able to play this year. But honestly I’d make sure Andre is re-signed and I’d probably draft another OT anyway. I don’t think they will though. Not early enough to be a projected starter this year anyway. And I don’t know if they will “give up” on him. I think they draft a tackle early but aced will still be given an opportunity to win the job if he responds well to Pollack. 

 

So long as new guy makes a @%#&@$&% decision & names a starter.  If we're rotating tackles midway through the season again we might as well pack it up for the rest of it. I'll snap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

..,I'll snap.

 

Do you mean that you will play center?  ...or that you will reach your breaking point?

 

I really can't tell what you mean. :shrug:  

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2018 at 7:46 PM, T-Dub said:

 

No offense to your opinion but I have to believe that the 1st round OT's are not 2nd round OT's for some good reasons.  

 

If you were to say this is a deep draft for OT's, that's a different matter, but that would also indicate that guys rated to go in the 1st do belong there.

 

It's also worth noting that the Bengals could use 2 of them.  OT in both rounds & I might dance a jig.  I may even post it for your amusement. 

To me there aren't any tackles worth a first round pick similar to last year. And the only tackle I see that's a lock in rd1 is mcg. And he's a right tackle. And like I've said all off-season I wanna build from the interior out with Cincy being a run first offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cricket said:

 

Do you mean that you will play center?  ...or that you will reach your breaking point?

 

I really can't tell what you mean. :shrug:  

 

 

 

 

I'd make Bodine look good so it's going to have to be the 2nd one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jpoore said:

To me there aren't any tackles worth a first round pick similar to last year. And the only tackle I see that's a lock in rd1 is mcg. And he's a right tackle. And like I've said all off-season I wanna build from the interior out with Cincy being a run first offense.

 

We don't need a RT. We need like.. 3 of them.  Our starters are bad and that doesn't say much for who is behind them.  They could rewrite the roster at OL and it probably wouldn't be enough new blood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jpoore said:

To me there aren't any tackles worth a first round pick similar to last year. And the only tackle I see that's a lock in rd1 is mcg. And he's a right tackle. And like I've said all off-season I wanna build from the interior out with Cincy being a run first offense.

You can't run the ball with bad offensive tackles.  You can't run the ball if you can't protect the QB in the passing game either.  You can't fill the stadium with  run first offense either, just look at 2009.  We were a playoff team but only 16th in home attendance.  That team was so boring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cricket said:

 

Do you mean that you will play center?  ...or that you will reach your breaking point?

 

I really can't tell what you mean. :shrug:  

 

 

 

I'm slow. I just got this! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still want to trade for Cordy Glenn. He only played 6 games last season and lost his spot to rookie Dion Dawkins. Cordy is on track to be ready for for OTA's.  Bills are said to release or trade him(shouldn't be that expensive) He is owed 23mil over next 3 seasons don't know how its broke down but averages 7.6 mil year which is a steal for a good LT. He was a top Left tackle before getting injured. He will turn 29 next season. It would allow more options in the draft and fill a HUGE need. If Bengals went that route I would love a Derwin James or a Roquan Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like they're going to go hard to re-sign Bodine. I'm not a fan of that but he is only 25 and with a new OL coach, maybe he can elevate his game. I'd prefer Weston Richburg - I believe he's a FA with the Giants. 

 

I don't see them moving Boling out to LT, and at the other G spot, could definitely see a 3-way battle between Hopkins (who I think is better as a depth guy), Westerman and Redmond. My money's on Redmond. A big dude who can really move people in the run game, which Hopkins didn't do. At RT, assuming a return to health I think that's Fisher. If they re-sign Andre Smith, he could battle Fisher for the starting role, or (my preference) be the swing tackle, like Winston's role has been the last few years. I read somewhere that Smith is looking for starter's money in FA but I don't imagine he'll get it. 

 

At LT, seems like the ship has sailed on Ced so he can fight it out with Kent Perkins for a backup spot. I actually like Perkins - big guy with strength. He looked pretty good in his limited snaps last year. Assuming LT is the draft focus (and assuming Nelson is gone... I know they don't like Gs that early but that guy is a beast), Connor Williams is one guy and later on in the round or in round 2, guys like Orlando Brown (who looks more like a RT to me), O'Neil, and Crosby are all possibilities. From what I've seen, I like Wynn but he's short for a tackle so he doesn't really fit the "formula" for what a tackle looks like. If that means anything. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Seems like they're going to go hard to re-sign Bodine. I'm not a fan of that but he is only 25 and with a new OL coach, maybe he can elevate his game. I'd prefer Weston Richburg - I believe he's a FA with the Giants. 

 

I don't see them moving Boling out to LT, and at the other G spot, could definitely see a 3-way battle between Hopkins (who I think is better as a depth guy), Westerman and Redmond. My money's on Redmond. A big dude who can really move people in the run game, which Hopkins didn't do. At RT, assuming a return to health I think that's Fisher. If they re-sign Andre Smith, he could battle Fisher for the starting role, or (my preference) be the swing tackle, like Winston's role has been the last few years. I read somewhere that Smith is looking for starter's money in FA but I don't imagine he'll get it. 

 

At LT, seems like the ship has sailed on Ced so he can fight it out with Kent Perkins for a backup spot. I actually like Perkins - big guy with strength. He looked pretty good in his limited snaps last year. Assuming LT is the draft focus (and assuming Nelson is gone... I know they don't like Gs that early but that guy is a beast), Connor Williams is one guy and later on in the round or in round 2, guys like Orlando Brown (who looks more like a RT to me), O'Neil, and Crosby are all possibilities. From what I've seen, I like Wynn but he's short for a tackle so he doesn't really fit the "formula" for what a tackle looks like. If that means anything. 

Perkins literally played 6 snaps the entire season. Not saying you can't be a fan of his, but 6 snaps is essentially 0 from a player evaluation standpoint.

 

If they draft a LT I could see Ced being a swing backup type on our roster next year. I don't foresee them cutting him but it would be nice to see Ced as a backup instead of a starter.

 

I think you're correct about Redmond, he looked decent at the end of the year and the team likes to roll with guys they're familiar with. I think he could be a good RG with some development.

 

Do you know where you read that about Andre? I haven't really heard much about him since his season ended and would be interested in how legitimate the source is. I'm one of the people hoping we re-sign him to hold down the RT spot so it would be a bummer to see him leave again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×