Dogs And chocolate

Montana Bengal

So our little dog (6 pounds) got into some bittersweet chocolate...like 8 ounces.  Got him into the vet within 90 minutes.  Was throwing up a ton and they gave him a shot to make him throw up even more.  I guess they had a ton come out.  They are keeping him overnight to monitor...give fluids, etc.

Anyone  have experience with them this?

14 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

So our little dog (6 pounds) got into some bittersweet chocolate...like 8 ounces.  Got him into the vet within 90 minutes.  Was throwing up a ton and they gave him a shot to make him throw up even more.  I guess they had a ton come out.  They are keeping him overnight to monitor...give fluids, etc.

Anyone  have experience with them this?

Yes, I do unfortunately... our Miniature American Eskimo weighs 28 pounds and ate 24 oz of chocolate (along with 4 fingers of a work glove, and half a pair of boxers).

They induced vomiting and did the same that your pup is going through. Coco came out fine because we caught got her to the vet about the same time you did yours.

It can be deadly, but sounds like you were in time. Hope everything is ok, make sure and update us.

He seems okay this morning.  I am staying home with him.  There was a chance he would need to go to the regular vet today, but they felt he was good enough to come home.  They were worried about his size.  Just polished off his food this morning so I am going to assume things are okay at this point.

2 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

He seems okay this morning.  I am staying home with him.  There was a chance he would need to go to the regular vet today, but they felt he was good enough to come home.  They were worried about his size.  Just polished off his food this morning so I am going to assume things are okay at this point.

Should be, as long as he's eating AND drinking, and going to the bathroom... you should be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived