Botched Andrew Whitworth situation continues with Bengals only getting 5th-round compensatory pick

22 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Lol I was joking because Ced didn't play at the end of last year. You probably remember him looking better because he was actually Clint Boling.

He did play way better at the end of the year, he was probably our best lineman the last half of the season regardless of not playing the last 3 games.  No, not nearly as good as Whit this year but probably about as good as Whit when Whit was 25 years old.  I actually think Ced is going to pan out and be a very good player.   Fisher I have serious doubts about.  I have never seen him play well. 

50 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He did play way better at the end of the year, he was probably our best lineman the last half of the season regardless of not playing the last 3 games.  No, not nearly as good as Whit this year but probably about as good as Whit when Whit was 25 years old.  I actually think Ced is going to pan out and be a very good player.   Fisher I have serious doubts about.  I have never seen him play well. 

It's not a popular opinion but I also think Fisher is worse than Ced.

We shall see about the other stuff, I just don't think Ogbuehi has it in him to play LT at this level with much success. Hell he honestly wasn't even that good in college, he had a high grade on him due to potential more than anything.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:41 AM, SF2 said:

Again, the Bengals were NEVER going to sign a 35 year old Whitworth to 3 years / $33.75mil  with $15 mil guaranteed or anything close to that.  It just wasn't going to happen.  They made the right moves to move on from Whit but it didn't work out.  Even with the realization that Cedric wasn't going to be all that, they had already chosen their path.   

Yeah but again if they had been more proactive letting Whit know he was wanted with less than this but a serious offer I think it would have happened.

You really think Whit wanted to uproot his family to the west coast if another decent option was there? 

6 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Yeah but again if they had been more proactive letting Whit know he was wanted with less than this but a serious offer I think it would have happened.

You really think Whit wanted to uproot his family to the west coast if another decent option was there? 

Actually, yeah.  His wife is in broadcasting or some other media thing so LA is the place to be (along with several million other aspiring stars.)  Whit made reference to it being "her turn" or something like that.

So like, 40-60% wife-driven.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, oldschooler said:

Life has been getting in the way of me being a "big enough" fan, to the point I didn't know  that.

The rule came to light the year Alan Faneca left the Stoolers for the Jets.  They were left sputtering so I have no problem with the rule as opposed to the Bengals decision to let Whitworth walk.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Actually, yeah.  His wife is in broadcasting or some other media thing so LA is the place to be (along with several million other aspiring stars.)  Whit made reference to it being "her turn" or something like that.

So like, 40-60% wife-driven.

What the hell? It wasn't that long ago, so my memory is still very clear when it comes to articles like these:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/18193/bengals-andrew-whitworth-retire-stripes-intenstions-free-agency
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2017-andrew-whitworth-rumors-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line/hn0fr259joaw1mu6wim6nwqyq

If this was "Wife driven", we're talking abut Troy Blackburn's wife, not Whitworth's.

And:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/14/16310758/andrew-whitworth-still-rooting-bengals-despite-leaving-rams

To understand what happened, it would be necessary to go back to 2015, when Whitworth and the Bengals were trying to negotiate a contract extension. The talks dragged on through September of that year before the Bengals gave in and gave Whitworth a one-year, $9 million extension.

The Bengals' reluctance to move forward with the negotiations did not sit well with Whitworth's camp. It was a bitter taste that lingered.

It appeared that both sides were moving forward when the Bengals made offers to Whitworth's representatives in the weeks leading up to free agency, but they did not take the necessary steps to ensure he would not leave for another team.

Reports have it that the Bengals offer last year was essentially a $5.5 Million per year deal. So, the screwed the pooch in 2015 and 2016... But Whitworth left because of his wife? Child please.

So, when your boss comes in and says "Great job T-Dub. Now, we need to cut your pay in half while you train your replacement" you're going to kiss his damn ring? Unreal.

11 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

What the hell? It wasn't that long ago, so my memory is still very clear when it comes to articles like these:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/18193/bengals-andrew-whitworth-retire-stripes-intenstions-free-agency
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2017-andrew-whitworth-rumors-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line/hn0fr259joaw1mu6wim6nwqyq

If this was "Wife driven", we're talking abut Troy Blackburn's wife, not Whitworth's.

And:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/14/16310758/andrew-whitworth-still-rooting-bengals-despite-leaving-rams

Reports have it that the Bengals offer last year was essentially a $5.5 Million per year deal. So, the screwed the pooch in 2015 and 2016... But Whitworth left because of his wife? Child please.

So, when your boss comes in and says "Great job T-Dub. Now, we need to cut your pay in half while you train your replacement" you're going to kiss his damn ring? Unreal.

Are you sure you were replying to the right post there? Whit, in some interview that I'm not going to even consider bothering to look for, made some comment about the LA media market & his wife's job opportunities. You can believe that or not, whatever.

All that other stuff about pay cuts and whatever was just..  Well I don't know what your point was, other than "WhitworthWARGLBARGL!" and loud noises and shit.

So when your boss comes in and says "Great job Lost. Now we need you to hold down this Jack Russel terrier while a nervous man in a trench coat shaves the poor beast's testicles! But then you wake up and you're in the Dollar Store parking lot and there's no dog, no man, but you're holding half a warm 2-liter bottle of Strawberry Fanta & realize you're missing a shoe..  What then, I ask you?"

It's a crazy old world.

18 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Just about anyone would uproot their family and move to the West Coast for an extra $6 mil in guaranteed money.   

On 2/14/2018 at 10:38 PM, T-Dub said:

So when your boss comes in and says "Great job Lost. Now we need you to hold down this Jack Russel terrier while a nervous man in a trench coat shaves the poor beast's testicles! But then you wake up and you're in the Dollar Store parking lot and there's no dog, no man, but you're holding half a warm 2-liter bottle of Strawberry Fanta & realize you're missing a shoe..  What then, I ask you?"

It's a crazy old world.

That is so strange. That's actually happened to me!

On 2/13/2018 at 11:09 AM, omgdrdoom said:

I think the big issue is that the right move was to not move on from Whit in general. There were no signs of his play slowing down and he was obviously fine taking a contract with team outs after the first 1-2 years of the deal.

Mike Brown has given huge contracts out to players that deserve it and Whitworth surely deserved a fair deal.

I think the bigger deal is that they had a deal for Whit and Mike Brown backed out at the last minute.  By discussing a contract with him that shows the team didn't have faith in Ced O heading into the season as the LT but then Mike did Mike things and backed out of a deal.

22 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I predict Ogbuhei will become an All Pro the last year if his contract here and go into free agency and sign with Cleveland to replace a retiring Joe Thomas.

If there is a more overrated OL than Thomas I can't name him.  Whitworth is 5x the player and never got 1/2 the hype.  

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If there is a more overrated OL than Thomas I can't name him.  Whitworth is 5x the player and never got 1/2 the hype.  

The reason Thomas never gave up many  sacks was the other side of the line was so terrible the best pass rusher would simply move over there.  I really dont get staying with a terrible team that long if you are supposedly great.  Being the best player on the worst team in the NFL isn't that impressive.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, TimKrumrieFan said:

I think the bigger deal is that they had a deal for Whit and Mike Brown backed out at the last minute.  By discussing a contract with him that shows the team didn't have faith in Ced O heading into the season as the LT but then Mike did Mike things and backed out of a deal.

Where did you hear this and what source did it come from? I remember the Whit debacle pretty clearly myself and the official word from actual team sources came out saying we offered him a 1 year deal but wouldn't give the multi-year contract he was looking for. There was never a contract that Mike Brown "backed out of". Whitworth made the choice to leave because we wouldn't commit to him for more than 1 season at a time due to his age.

We should have given him a contract similar to the Rams where there was a team out after year 1 and an even bigger one after year 2 of the 3 year deal. That's why Mike Brown is a dummy, not because he backed out of a contract that never existed.

Archived