AJ McCarron status determined : Unrestricted Free Agent

3 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

This upcoming draft would look a whole lot different if the brown stains hadn't dropped the ball. Damn man.

He'd already filed for arbitration so I wonder how that would've played out.  I also have to wonder if this is the reason the deal didn't go through.

20 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Because nobody respects the decision making by Marvin Lewis or Mike Brown.  The reality is once AJ McCarron calmed down and the offensive coordinator opened up the play book AJ made the plays to win that playoff game against Pittsburgh.   Marvin lost it for us.  Is he better than Andy?  I don't know.  Is he happy he is leaving this shit stain of an organization?  Thinking yeah.   

43 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

This upcoming draft would look a whole lot different if the brown stains hadn't dropped the ball. Damn man.

The Browns didn't drop the ball.  They decided not to go thru with the deal.  It was the right choice.  There are really good prospects here and the cold hard fact is if they had gone thru with the deal and AJ sucked then the fan base would only be more poisoned.   Fans love shiny new objects not unproven hand me downs.   Best thing that ever happened to McCarron.

13 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

You folks sure do cry a lot.  

Seriously? We could have gotten a decent pick for the guy had we played our cards right (and the Browns knew how to use a fax machine). This sucks! Now we get nothing in return for a guy that will either be a #1 backup somewhere else instead of here, or a starter for a QB starved team. How does this not suck if you're the Bengals FO?

12 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

You folks sure do cry a lot.  

They kept a backup QB, who apparently had some sort of value as a trade asset, while also admitting that they hoped they never had to play him.

Waiting until the late afternoon of the last possible day to derive any value out of this type of asset probably isn't the best idea.

I would have been ecstatic if the browns trade went through, but I would have also been ecstatic if any other trade had gone through.

They had no intentions of ever giving him a chance to play. Getting a mid-3rd round pick would have still provided more value than what they're left with now. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Because nobody respects the decision making by Marvin Lewis or Mike Brown.  The reality is once AJ McCarron calmed down and the offensive coordinator opened up the play book AJ made the plays to win that playoff game against Pittsburgh.   Marvin lost it for us.  Is he better than Andy?  I don't know.  Is he happy he is leaving this shit stain of an organization?  Thinking yeah.   

He was a 5th round pick by every team in the NFL.

But the decision making of Mike and Marvin actually picked him.

Shit stain of an organization?

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The Browns didn't drop the ball.  They decided not to go thru with the deal.  It was the right choice.  There are really good prospects here and the cold hard fact is if they had gone thru with the deal and AJ sucked then the fan base would only be more poisoned.   Fans love shiny new objects not unproven hand me downs.   Best thing that ever happened to McCarron.

You call the Bengals a shit stain and praise the Browns.

You should be ashamed.

Also, you're acting like the Browns did something right on purpose.

Are you Russian or just a troll? lol

Seriously, do you believe what you think?

My thoughts on A.J. McCarron's departure

I'm happy for A.J. McCarron. He's earned this opportunity. He's waited patiently, biding his time.

He was a good teammate, a stand up guy, a class act. 

I'll remember two moments that I think defined his time with the Bengals.

1. When he went to bat for Andy Dalton early in the 2017 season when Dalton was struggling and facing questions and criticism. He had Dalton's back.

2. The way he handled himself when meeting with the media following the Cleveland trade falling apart. His grace, composure and honestly was impressive in the face of the disappointment of what had happened. He thanked "Mr. Brown" for wanting to give him an opportunity to go and play somewhere.

McCarron departs and will carry with him one of the great 'What If?' tags in Cincinnati sports history. What if the Bengals had given him a shot, opened up the competition with Dalton?

As is, he departs after four seasons, 11 appearances and 133 pass attempts.

The reality is he inherited the best Bengals team since the last Super Bowl and went 2-2 with it after Dalton broke his thumb in 2015. That team started 8-0, went 12-4 and then lost in the nightmare playoff game to the Stealers.

That McCarron playoff performance has reached Urban Legend like levels since that day.

He completed 56-percent of his passes that day for 212 yards with a TD, INT, 3 sacks and 3 fumbles, with one fumble lost. 

Now what?

McCarron figures to get paid big bucks. Maybe it's the Browns, or Jets, or Broncos or Bills. Somebody will pay him and start him.

The Bengals figure to draft a QB. They have Jeff Driskell, who they clearly like, because they'd kept him around this long.

Driskell is also coming off a broken arm suffered last preseason. Count on the Bengals drafting a QB. 

I continue to read fan criticism for the Bengals not trading McCarron and getting something.

They did trade him and they got a 2nd and 3rd. The Browns screwed that up. With the deadline then passed, there was no other chance to deal McCarron. Not sure why fans are not directing their wrath at Cleveland.

I'll always belief the Bengals should have been able to seek and receive a form of compensation for the Browns blowing the transaction at the trade deadline. Because of the Browns incompetence, the Bengals and McCarron had to deal with the fallout and ramifications of an uncomfortable situation.  McCarron had to go back to work for the organization that had traded him. Each side was forced to answer questions about what happened, with none of it being their fault. I'm not sure what that compensation should be, but the fact is both teams agreed upon and executed the deal. Now, the Bengals will receive less in return (compensatory pick/3rd-4th-5th?) than the 2nd/3rd round picks originally agreed upon.

Good luck, AJ.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/lance-mcalister/content/2018-02-15-bengals-my-thoughts-on-aj-mccarrons-departure/

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

McCarron departs and will carry with him one of the great 'What If?' tags in Cincinnati sports history.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/lance-mcalister/content/2018-02-15-bengals-my-thoughts-on-aj-mccarrons-departure/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GTFO Lance, holy shit

What if Andy doesn't break his thumb in the middle of an MVP caliber season?

What if Gio doesn't fumble in 2013?

What if Gresh doesn't drop those 3rd down passes in 2011-2012?

What if Burfict/Jones don't get double flagged on the last drive in 2015?

What if the entire offense doesn't get injured in 2014?

What if Marvin Lewis was fired after 2010 or 2013 or 2014 or 2015 or 2016 or 2017?

What if Paul Alexander was told to kick rocks 5 years ago?

What if we didn't draft injured track stars?

Hell that's just shit off the top of my head and only Bengals related within the past couple of years that are actual bigger "WHAT IF" situations than a guy that we've seen play QB "not get his chance here". Can you imagine if you actually thought about the entirety of Cincinnati sports history and how many bigger "what ifs" we have than AJ fucking McCarron not starting more games?

OMEGALUL

I really think the Bengals should file a big grievance vs the browns. Browns could have purposely botched that trade so McCarron couldn't be traded and would become a FA so they could take a run at him. If the browns do Sign him, NFL should award the Bengals with the browns 2nd round pick...

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

He was a 5th round pick by every team in the NFL.

But the decision making of Mike and Marvin actually picked him.

Shit stain of an organization?

You call the Bengals a shit stain and praise the Browns.

You should be ashamed.

Also, you're acting like the Browns did something right on purpose.

Are you Russian or just a troll? lol

Seriously, do you believe what you think?

A shitty organization is capable of making some intelligent moves on occasion. Not everything the Bengals do is terrible but trying to keep McCarron an extra year for nothing by lying about his injury is shitty.  The guy was "diagnosed" with a sore shoulder.    It was a scam and the arbitrator saw right thru it.  The shitty braintrust should have been shopping him long ago.   In case you are wondering, the Browns played us like fools.  You don't really think they forgot to fax in the paperwork do you?  

I am not ashamed about anything.  I am not the ownership who brought back a 15 year veteran coach who is 0-7 in the playoffs and just came off 2 losing seasons.  Same coach that has been outscored 96-29 in the second half of those 7 playoff games.   Shut out 4 times in those games. 

I am not the ownership that brought Pacman here. Not the guys who told Marvin Lewis to pound sand and publicly humiliated him as they brought back Chris Henry.  

No, I am the former season ticket holding fan who still has a soft spot for the team but realizes, like 99% of the country that the current ownership doesn't possess the will or the skill to create a Championship caliber team.     The only reason we have even been competitive as of late was we had some pretty good drafts from 2009-2012 along with Whitworth and Peko from 2006.    Since then our drafts have't been nearly as good and we are replacing decent to very good players with marginal starters and backups.

A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while but for the most part a hawk will take him out or he will get run over by a car.   

55 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I really think the Bengals should file a big grievance vs the browns. Browns could have purposely botched that trade so McCarron couldn't be traded and would become a FA so they could take a run at him. If the browns do Sign him, NFL should award the Bengals with the browns 2nd round pick...

Can they appeal this in general or is it 100% over now? I honestly don't think they should be going after the Browns but they should try to do something about this because it's bullshit. It was the fucking NFL that originally approved McCarron's status in his first year which would have made him a RFA this season due to that alone. They had him on the non-football injury list and instead of bringing him back after 6 weeks they had to get a LEAGUE APPROVED EXTENSION for him to stay on until they ended up activating him in December (?), which wouldn't have made him accrue a "season" to count toward his UFA/RFA status.

I know it's fun to shit on Mike Brown and the Bengals, but the NFL approved the NFI extension to begin with so I don't see how this is Mikey's fault.

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

In case you are wondering, the Browns played us like fools.  You don't really think they forgot to fax in the paperwork do you?  

This doesn't make any sense to me. What benefit was it for the Browns to have even acted interested and then back out. They gained nothing from my understanding.

4 hours ago, schotzee said:

This doesn't make any sense to me. What benefit was it for the Browns to have even acted interested and then back out. They gained nothing from my understanding.

Sashi Brown never seriously wanted McCarron. He knew they were picking 2 times in at least the top 6 so it is almost insane to think they would have pulled the trigger on that deal (second and third rounder) for basically an unproven QB.  Imagine the PR issue with having Hue Jackson's QB, AJ McCarron go 4-12 in 2018 after giving up a 2nd and 3rd rounder?    Worse, McCarron plays like shit the last few games in 2017 and then is deemed an FA? 

No, the only intelligent option is to pick one of the young guys in this draft and now and use their surplus of draft picks to get better.    The last time Jackson went out on a limb for a QB it ended horribly.   

I think Brown was actually trying to sabotage Hue Jackson but it backfired.  In any case they were WAY OVERPAYING for McCarron.    They ended up getting nothing but they didn't LOSE either.   

There was little chance McCarron could have proven much those final few weeks given the roster he would have been working with.   Garrapolo had a far better oline to work with in SF.

They may try and sign him now since he should come fairly cheap but at least they can keep what will probably be a high 2nd and third rounder to themselves.  

At the end of the day, the botched trade only really hurt us.   I agree with OMG, I think it was a bullshit move but that is what can happen when you wait until the final day to make a move. 

I was really getting tired of his act anyway.

he’s a member of a team and he spent the last two years telling anyone who would listen that he didn’t want to be there at all. At least pretend that you have some sort of interest in the here and now. 

he was a 5th round pick and he didn’t exactly set the world on fire when his number was called. If I was a teammate, I’d have been begging for him to get the hell out. 

38 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I was really getting tired of his act anyway.

he’s a member of a team and he spent the last two years telling anyone who would listen that he didn’t want to be there at all. At least pretend that you have some sort of interest in the here and now. 

he was a 5th round pick and he didn’t exactly set the world on fire when his number was called. If I was a teammate, I’d have been begging for him to get the hell out. 

You can't blame a guy for trying to leave a team he doesn't think he will ever start for in the near future.  Guy won 2 Nat Championships in college and thinks he is a franchise QB.  He just wants to prove it one way or the other.   I would expect any guy worth a damn to do the same.   I mean Ryan Fitzpatrick has had a chance to start for 6 different teams, I imagine AJ Mc is like, "just give me 1 chance!"

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

You can't blame a guy for trying to leave a team he doesn't think he will ever start for in the near future.  Guy won 2 Nat Championships in college and thinks he is a franchise QB.  He just wants to prove it one way or the other.   I would expect any guy worth a damn to do the same.   I mean Ryan Fitzpatrick has had a chance to start for 6 different teams, I imagine AJ Mc is like, "just give me 1 chance!"

I agree with your assessment here. Your other post claiming the Browns owned us so to speak in the failed trade,  definitely not so much.

Archived