AJ McCarron status determined : Unrestricted Free Agent

I'll be surprised if he ends up on a team and becomes the starter imo, at least in the long term. This draft is too deep at QB and there are a number of good QB FAs that imo are better than AJ out here.

Had this been any other year he would be getting paid.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

You can't blame a guy for trying to leave a team he doesn't think he will ever start for in the near future.  Guy won 2 Nat Championships in college and thinks he is a franchise QB.  He just wants to prove it one way or the other.   I would expect any guy worth a damn to do the same.   I mean Ryan Fitzpatrick has had a chance to start for 6 different teams, I imagine AJ Mc is like, "just give me 1 chance!"

I don't fault him for it. It's something he should communicate during the offseasons though, not every time someone sticks a recorder in his face. Be a part of the team while you're on it.

I don't see much difference between him and Corey Dillon in that regard. They both had one foot out the door while they were collecting paychecks and their teammates were on the field competing. 

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

A shitty organization is capable of making some intelligent moves on occasion. Not everything the Bengals do is terrible but trying to keep McCarron an extra year for nothing by lying about his injury is shitty.  The guy was "diagnosed" with a sore shoulder.    It was a scam and the arbitrator saw right thru it.  The shitty braintrust should have been shopping him long ago.   In case you are wondering, the Browns played us like fools.  You don't really think they forgot to fax in the paperwork do you?  

You mean the reported facts?

Yes, I believe those.

But if that's the World you want to live in, then so be it. 

The Browns had no idea that he was going to be an UFA after this season.

None. The trade was on October 31st. McCarron grievance wasn't made public until November 4th.

I'm sure they would have much rather got the guy in their organization,

have him play a few games and see if he was a long term solution. And 

not get in a bidding war for him.

But if you want to believe they KNEW he would be a UFA from a grievance they didn't know he had

even filed yet and "played the Bengals", who am I to argue?

If Jake Browning is in this years draft we NEED to take him to back up Dalton, and possibly take over for him after a couple years. I live in Sacramento, and the Folsom Bulldogs are the real deal. The only team Browning lost to in his Soph-Senior seasons was De LaSalle which is a national powerhouse. 

Last good QB from this area was Ryan Dinwiddie at Elk Grove (played with Lance Briggs), but Browning is 10x better than Dinwiddie. The guy can definitely ball, and even though he's a bit smaller than most would like he's still the real deal. We could probably get him with a 5th round pick. 

As far as the Bengals/McCarrion deal, somehow, deep down, we all knew this would happen.

Best of luck to McCarrion.  May he sign a blockbuster deal with the Browns and lead them to a

record setting second winless season.

P.S.  His tattoos are ridiculous.

P.S.S.  fuck him

16 hours ago, schotzee said:

I agree with your assessment here. Your other post claiming the Browns owned us so to speak in the failed trade,  definitely not so much.

Yeah, I probably should have said the Browns fucked us over.  Waiting until the last second to get something done was our fault.

14 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You mean the reported facts?

Yes, I believe those.

But if that's the World you want to live in, then so be it. 

The Browns had no idea that he was going to be an UFA after this season.

None. The trade was on October 31st. McCarron grievance wasn't made public until November 4th.

I'm sure they would have much rather got the guy in their organization,

have him play a few games and see if he was a long term solution. And 

not get in a bidding war for him.

But if you want to believe they KNEW he would be a UFA from a grievance they didn't know he had

even filed yet and "played the Bengals", who am I to argue?

I never said the Browns knew he would be a UFA,..Fred.  

They were going to give up a 2nd and 3rd to test drive him behind a shitty o line? LOL.  Hue Jackson is stupid, thank God he is gone.

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I never said the Browns knew he would be a UFA,..Fred.  

They were going to give up a 2nd and 3rd to test drive him behind a shitty o line? LOL.  Hue Jackson is stupid, thank God he is gone.

You said "they played us" .... Barney. 

So you think they just talked about making a trade because they were bored with all of that losing?

I don't really get your mentality on this topic.

Oh never mind.  I don't get it on really any topic

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You said "they played us" .... Barney. 

So you think they just talked about making a trade because they were bored with all of that losing?

I don't really get your mentality on this topic.

Oh never mind.  I don't get it on really any topic

Played us, screwed us, what's the difference?

I completely understand your mentality, you are Marvin and Mike's penis holder.  Always have and always will be. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Played us, screwed us, what's the difference?

I completely understand your mentality, you are Marvin and Mike's penis holder.  Always have and always will be. 

How does my acknowledging the reported facts and not acting like Browns were superior to the Bengals 

in any instance, equate to penis holding?

Sure the Bengals should have traded him. They tried. Sure it would have been great to get something out of him

from this draft. But they'll more than likely get a higher pick next year than they invested in him. 

I don't have animosity for a team I'm a fan of. I spend all of that on the Stealers and their fans.

You should try it.

I can't imagine anyone believed A.J. would win his grievance. I sure didn't. It definitely sucks the Bengals aren't getting anything for him. They had plenty of opportunity to. Had they not waited til the last possible minute to try and trade him. That was obviously a bungle in hindsight. Oh well hope he goes to the browns and they lose every game again. 

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I for one am SO SUPER GLAD Oldschooler is back, in full motherfucking force, no less. I couldn't imagine a happier time between now and training camp (fuck the draft, we will get a WR in every round).

:lol:

Hahaha me too! I thought he was Mr Flintstone now though. :lol:

12 hours ago, oldschooler said:

How does my acknowledging the reported facts and not acting like Browns were superior to the Bengals 

Sure the Bengals should have traded him. They tried. Sure it would have been great to get something out of him

from this draft. But they'll more than likely get a higher pick next year than they invested in him. 

I don't have animosity for a team I'm a fan of. I spend all of that on the Stealers and their fans.

You should try it.

I can vouch. Doing what your last paragraph says , helps a lot!

3 hours ago, whodey365 said:

I can't imagine anyone believed A.J. would win his grievance. I sure didn't. It definitely sucks the Bengals aren't getting anything for him. They had plenty of opportunity to. Had they not waited til the last possible minute to try and trade him. That was obviously a bungle in hindsight. Oh well hope he goes to the browns and they lose every game again. 

That, and I think that the team and many fans overvalued what McCarron was really worth for far too long. Wouldn't anyone here in hindsight have LOVED to have had a 2nd rounder for him, let alone a HIGH 2nd AND a 3rd from the BROWNS? That would have been at least 5 picks in the top 100 of the draft. Jesus.

PS Now I keep hearing that eh Bengals need to draft a QB. Why? Driskoll is okay, and by all standard measures, once your starter is out for the year, then you're fucked anyway. Why keep 3?

Arbitrator finds Bengals improperly placed A.J. McCarron on NFI

Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2018, 9:44 PM EST

The ruling from arbitrator Shyam Das that Bengals quarterback A.J. McCarron represents the end of the road when it comes to McCarron’s effort to become an unrestricted free agent. As to the Bengals, it could be the beginning of a separate set of problems.

PFT has obtained a copy of the seven-page ruling in the case, which grants McCarron his freedom based on a finding that the Bengals improperly placed McCarron on the non-football injury list at the outset of the 2014 season.

The decision to keep McCarron on the NFI list to start the 2014 season came from Dr. Marc Galloway, who ultimately admitted that he kept McCarron on the NFI list not because Dr. Galloway believed McCarron couldn’t play football as of September 2014, but because Dr. Galloway “did not think it was in [McCarron’s] best long-term interest to play football in September.” Dr. Galloway admitted that, if McCarron had said he wants to play in September 2014, Galloway would have allowed him to play.

The arbitrator ultimately concluded that McCarron did not receive a medical examination before being placed on the NFI list, and that the evidence does not firmly establish that McCarron would have failed the exam. Indeed, by Dr. Galloway’s admission, McCarron would have passed it.

To put it simply and candidly, the Bengals stashed McCarron, a fifth-round rookie, behind starter Andy Dalton and veteran backup Jason Campbell. The next question becomes whether the Bengals will face any scrutiny for improperly utilizing the NFI list.

The broader question is whether and to what extent other teams are doing the same thing. The simple answers likely are “yes” and “plenty.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/15/arbitrator-finds-bengals-improperly-placed-a-j-mccarron-on-nfi/

Found this about the arbitrator (I assume it's the same guy):

MLB fires arbitrator Shyam Das

May 15, 2012
  • Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball management has fired Shyam Das, the arbitrator who overturned Ryan Braun's drug suspension in February.

MLB informed Das and the players' association of its decision last week. Das had been baseball's permanent arbitrator since 1999, part of what technically is a three-man panel that also includes a representative of management and labor.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Shyam is the longest-tenured panel chair in our bargaining relationship," union head Michael Weiner said. "For 13 years, from the beginning to the end of his tenure, he served the parties with professionalism and distinction."

Baseball's collective bargaining agreement says the arbitrator can be removed by the players' association or management at any time with written notice.

"I had the distinct privilege to serve as chair of the MLB-MLBPA arbitration panel for almost 13 years," Das wrote in an email to The Associated Press. "I have the greatest respect for the representatives of both parties I worked with during that period, and I wish the parties well in their ongoing relationship."

MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred declined comment, spokesman Pat Courtney said.

The sides will now try to select a successor. If they cannot agree, baseball's collective bargaining agreement calls for them to ask the American Arbitration Association for a list of "prominent, professional arbitrators." The sides would then alternate striking names from the list until one remains.

One of the first cases the new arbitrator could hear is a grievance over a 100-game suspension issued last week to San Francisco reliever Guillermo Mota. The pitcher's agent, Adam Katz, said the positive test was caused by a banned substance contained in children's cough medicine.

Das, a graduate of Harvard and Yale University Law School, also has been an arbitrator for the NFL since 2004 and is scheduled to hear a grievance in the New Orleans Saints bounty case on Wednesday.

The baseball situation, "does not impact his role at an arbitrator for our CBA," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Following a grievance hearing, Das decided in February to overturn the 50-game suspension of Braun for a positive drug test. Lawyers for the Milwaukee outfielder, the reigning NL MVP, argued that the collection procedures specified in baseball's drug agreement for the urine sample were not followed with Braun's sample last Oct. 1 because it was not immediately left at a Federal Express office.

The collector testified that because the sample was taken on a Saturday and could not have been shipped that day to the testing laboratory outside Montreal, he concluded the sample would be more secure at his home. He then took it to a FedEx office on the following Monday.

Baseball's drug agreement states that "absent unusual circumstances, the specimens should be sent by FedEx to the laboratory on the same day they are collected."

Management loudly and publicly disagreed with his decision.

The sides asked Das to hold off on issuing a written decision while they negotiated changes to the drug agreement.

The 100-game suspension of Colorado Rockies catcher Eliezer Alfonzo for a second positive test, announced last Sept. 14, was rescinded in an agreement between management and the union on Monday.

"Alfonzo's grievance challenging his suspension raised issues that were nearly identical to those resolved in the arbitration involving Ryan Braun," MLB said in a statement. "It is not anticipated that any other future cases will be impacted by the circumstances raised in the grievances of these two players."

Under baseball's drug agreement, grievances are heard before initial suspensions are announced. In the case of penalties for a second or third positive test, the cases are argued after the suspensions are made public.

Alfonzo was designated for assignment by the Rockies on May 7 and sent outright to Triple-A Colorado Springs in the Pacific Coast League two days later.

Das took over as baseball's permanent arbitrator from Cornell professor Dana Eischen, who was hired in December 1997 but quit after ruling the following May against J.D. Drew's grievance seeking free agency.

Many of baseball's grievance arbitrators have had brief tenures, with the list including Lewis Gill (1970-72), Gabriel Alexander (1972-74), Peter Seitz (1974-75), Alexander Porter (1977-79), Raymond Goetz (1979-83), Richard Bloch (1983-85), Thomas Roberts (1985-86), George Nicolau (1986-95), Nicholas Zumas (1995-97) and Eischen (1997-98).

Joseph Sickles heard one case in 1976, and temporary arbitrators were used between Eischen and Das.

Seitz was fired after he ruled against owners in the Andy Messersmith-Dave McNally reserve clause case that led to free agency. Roberts was fired after deciding management colluded against free agents between the 1985 and 1986 seasons.

On 2/17/2018 at 9:05 PM, oldschooler said:

You should try it.

I didn't have animosity for the team the entire 90s.  Had season tickets.  Shake and Blake.  Corey Dillon.    Nope, took it like a man and when we hired Marvin and drafted Palmer I was optimistic.  2005 was finally the turning point,..until he go Kimo'd.  The whole Chris Henry thing was really the turning point for me. Obviously, Mike Brown didn't give two shits about Marvin.  Still, I was a hater.   I hated the fact that Chris Henry was on this team.  Fucking joke.  Tragic that he died with the CTE and all and I now realize the truth but at the time I was disgusted by the decision making and Mike Brown had NO IDEA Henry had CTE.  Brown just wanted talent cheap.  Didn't care care about perception or his coach.  

The TO and Ocho show was a fucking circus.  Palmer quit on us.  We were the laughing stock.  Still, Marvin survived.

My significant animosity toward the organization will always be the fact Marvin Lewis survived the San Diego playoff game.  Pitiful fucking choke job.  Disgusting play by the entire team in the 2nd half.  Layed the fuck down and died in the 2nd half.  Until Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton are gone, I will continue to show my disdain.  Yes, animosity.  Sorry, I don't think a guy who won the genetic lottery and gets to pocket 9 figures a year because he was willed a monopoly should be celebrated after 27 years of failure.   Sorry, funny that way. Fuck Mike Brown.

Maybe it is time I call it quits.  You and your posse can circle jerk to college highlights of John Ross in peace.  I don't have much to show for 44 years of supporting this team.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Palmer quit on us.  

Fuck Mike Brown.

I'm not going to touch on the other stuff because I basically agree with all of it. I just wanted to put the whole "Carson quit on us" in a different perspective and maybe you won't be so hard on the guy.

You're one of the "fuck Mike Brown" guys, and that's awesome because, well, fuck Mike Brown. That's basically what Carson said too, so it blows my mind when other "fuck Mike Brown" fans turn around and bash Carson for being a quitter. The dude did exactly what all of us fans dream of doing, telling Mike Brown to shove it up his ass. CP said he'd rather retire than keep playing here, and let's not forget Marvin was supposed to be part of this big walk out too. Carson and Marvin both decided to tell Mike to fuck himself and they needed to see some serious changes or else they were leaving together. One guy stayed to kiss the ring and the other put his foot down and told Mikey boy to piss off.

Shouldn't this section of fans that want to stick it to Mike Brown be cheering Carson for doing exactly that in such a huge way that actually affected his business? Carson was able to fuck this guy over that we all supposedly hate more than ANY of us could imagine fucking him over, yet we call him "the quitter" and other silly names. For me personally, I'm upset that Carson didn't leave here and win 5 SBs with a bunch of other teams just to stick it to Mike further.

Archived