AJ McCarron status determined : Unrestricted Free Agent

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I don't think the Bills have signed a QB yet

Bills new GM is seemingly going all in on one of the kids in the draft though, at least that's what Buffalo fans/media have all been talking about.

8 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Bills new GM is seemingly going all in on one of the kids in the draft though, at least that's what Buffalo fans/media have all been talking about.

Yeah, there was no reason for Buffalo to let Taylor go so they could pick up a guy with 4 lifetime starts with all of them in 2015.   Buffalo could have kept Taylor for one more year at $7.6 mil, why would they take a flyer on McCarron?  The only scenario I could see is sign AJ to a contract they can bail on and draft a new kid as well.  Better to have 2 guys who might be the next franchise QB than 1.   Sure as hell was good strategy in Seattle. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, there was no reason for Buffalo to let Taylor go so they could pick up a guy with 4 lifetime starts with all of them in 2015.   Buffalo could have kept Taylor for one more year at $7.6 mil, why would they take a flyer on McCarron?  The only scenario I could see is sign AJ to a contract they can bail on and draft a new kid as well.  Better to have 2 guys who might be the next franchise QB than 1.   Sure as hell was good strategy in Seattle. 

I checked out a lot of Bills stuff around the time of the Cordy Glenn trade. It seems like everyone viewed that trade as them getting higher picks to move to the #2 slot in the draft. If they use so many resources to jump to #2 I can't see them also signing McCarron or any other UFA QB except a cheap backup. That's all speculation though so I guess we'll see what happens.

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I don't think the Bills have signed a QB yet

Yeah, but they jettisoned Tyrod for a reason, and they have six picks in the first three rounds (two in each). I think they are primed to move up and get a QB in this draft.

Rumor is Buffalo will be moving up to draft Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.  They have plenty of ammo and I think the Colts or Browns will be willing to move down.

The one that surprised me was Arizona signing Bradford.  I would rather have AJ than an expensive, broken down, never has been like Bradford.  $20 million for a QB who is coming off yet another knee surgery doesn't sound appealing to me.  AJ is younger, healthier, and cheaper.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

They're still going to draft a QB in the 1st. Whether the rookie Qb starts or not is the question as to AJ's playing time next season.

I really depends on how good they play. The Broncos drafted Paxton Lynch in 2016 in the first round.  After 2 years and 3 starts they just gave Case Keenum 2 years 36 mil 25 mil guaranteed because Lynch is a bust.   Look at the year Dalton was drafted.  Locker, Ponder and Gabbert were all busts.  Griffin was the overall 2 the following year.  You just never know.   

The Seahawks signed Matt Flynn to a big contract to be their starter and picked Russell Wilson at #75 as a prospect/backup.  Wilson kicked Flynn's ass in training camp so bad Flynn never got a start. 

Archived