Adam Jones and Michael Johnson listed as cut candidates by NFL.com

The Cincinnati Bengals have some big roster decisions to make this offseason.

Among them is what to do with aging cornerback Adam Jones and defensive lineman Michael Johnson. Both players took steps back this past season and are over the age of 31, so their play will likely keep decreasing in the 2018 season.

That’s why NFL.com has both Jones and Johnson listed among their cut candidates in the AFC. The to Bengals are listed in the “on the bubble” tier, but they probably should be in the “strong candidates for release” category instead.

6-7) Adam Jones, CB, and Michael Johnson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals: On most teams, Jones and Johnson’s combined age (65 years old) and cap number ($13 million) would make them likely goners. But owner Mike Brown is more loyal to “his guys” than most, as the team’s coaching situation indicates.

That’s exactly what the case is in Cincinnati. All 31 other teams would cut Jones this offseason if they hadn’t already in 2016, which is really when the Bengals should have got rid of him after his offseason arrest. It’s time to move on from Pacman, but he’s one of Mike Brown’s guys, so most likely, he’ll be back again next season.

As for Johnson, a better case can be made for keep him, especially after he showed he could play well as a defensive tackle on passing downs last season. He’s not giving the Bengals much as an outside pass-rusher anymore, but he is still making an impact along the defensive line.

Depending on what the Bengals do in free agency and the draft should determine if he’s back. I would venture to say both Johnson and Jones are back next season, but perhaps Marvin Lewishaving a bigger say in free agency will lead to a different outcome.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/17/17021738/adam-jones-and-michael-johnson-listed-as-cut-candidates-by-nfl-com

Bengals 2018 salary cap casualty candidate: Defensive lineman Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson has had a solid career, but might he be cut in an effort to create more cap space?

By Anthony Cosenza@CJAnthonyCUI  Feb 18, 2018, 10:00am EST

“Breaking up is hard to do”, as they say.

Running an NFL team is a balance of making tough business decisions, while also caring for players who have helped your squad. Professional football can be cutthroat, but these are the livelihoods of men and their families.

Declining play and expensive contracts, players who present problems off of the field, or can’t get out of the trainer’s room are all issues teams face. They also have to ask themselves if keeping certain players is worth the amount of dollars being doled out for their production.

The Bengals don’t usually have salary cap issues and Mike Brown’s recent comments have us believing that the team won’t be very active in outside free agency once again this offseason. Because of that, we’re not sure that the team will shed certain salaries, but we’ll see.

Michael Johnson has been a valuable veteran on the Bengals’ defense. He’s been an edge player for many of the teams’ better defensive units in their franchise history. Still, he’s set to make a solid chunk of change this year and the Bengals have some exciting young guns ready to take a bigger role.

Financial figures:

2018 salary: $6,112,500

2018 cap hit: $6,112,500

2018 dead cap number: $1.125 million

Why it makes sense to release him:

Emergence of Carl Lawson and Chris Smith: Lawson might have been the steal of the draft, given his 8.5 sacks and his fourth round designation. Smith was also a nice, low-risk get for the Bengals, as he added three sacks and two defended passes in a rotational role.

Lawson is deserving of an increased role and we’re excited to see what he can do with that, while the team could re-sign Smith and grab another edge rusher in this year’s draft. A injection of youth could be in the plans, as Carlos Dunlap is also entering his ninth year.

A lack of big stats for five straight years: Johnson had a breakout year in 2012, racking up 11.5 sacks. He was franchise tagged in 2013 and then left for Tampa Bay in free agency in 2014.

Yet, even with all of his hefty contracts, Johnson has only notched 21 quarterback sacks from 2013-2017. As he is entering his 10th season and will be turning 31 years old on February 7th, it’s hard to imagine more breakout years are on their way.

Why he should stick around:

What if Smith leaves in free agency?: After trading for him this offseason, the Bengals grabbed a valuable rotational player on defense. The problem? They inherited Smith in the final year of his rookie deal.

After one of his most productive seasons as a pro with limited snaps, Smith is set to hit the open market. Cincinnati will work to re-sign him, but it’s not a sure thing he’ll be back in 2018. If he bails, the Bengals will have a hole at the edge rusher spot.

A new, productive niche: While Johnson has struggled to get high numbers in the quarterback sack column, the coaches found a new way to use him in 2017. Though Lawson cut into Johnson’s defensive snaps, Johnson kicked inside on occasion and found success.

Common sense would point to Lawson having even more defensive snaps next season, given his 8.5 sacks as a rookie, so keeping Johnson in this creative role should continue to help the defense. And, even if he isn’t getting to the quarterback from the inside, his incredible length still provides value by batting down passes.

Great guy and great locker room presence: Sometimes being a leader and a guy other young players can look up to is worth hanging on to—even if the stats don’t necessarily warrant the contract. Johnson was a Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee in 2017 and does a ton of charitable work.

He’s also never been in trouble off of the field and seems to be extremely well-liked by his teammates. Yes, there have been examples of Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown hanging on to players longer than they should have (Robert Geathers, anyone?), but Johnson still brings value beyond the field.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/analysis/2018/2/18/16958626/bengals-2018-salary-cap-casualty-candidate-defensive-lineman-michael-johnson

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not so sure "it's time to move on from Pacman".  I think he is still at worst our 3rd best CB, and is our best PR.  

He's also our worst fuck-up & a terrible role model for young players.  He has consistently proven he's unable to control himself on & off the field.  Father Brown's refusing to cut him is the most glaring example of why this franchise is stuck in "could've been" mode.  He is exactly the kind of jackass that championship teams do not tolerate.  In Cincinnati he's a team captain.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He's also our worst fuck-up & a terrible role model for young players.  He has consistently proven he's unable to control himself on & off the field.  Father Brown's refusing to cut him is the most glaring example of why this franchise is stuck in "could've been" mode.  He is exactly the kind of jackass that championship teams do not tolerate.  In Cincinnati he's a team captain.

He's not finished being 'redeem'd' yet.

36 minutes ago, Cat said:

He's not finished being 'redeem'd' yet.

That can be a challenge when you're dealing with someone that would spit in the face of Mother Teresa.

He had a really tough childhood y'know, so much worse than anyone else ever.  Particularly those not-famous people who still manage to get up and go to work every day without getting into fights with bar flies.  They all had it easy, every single one.  Poor, poor Pacman.  It's not his fault.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

ha ha ha.. that shit made me laugh out loud....... 

5 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Pacman is definitely a loser, but he's more talented than MJ, so for PR duties alone, I would keep Pac and ditch MJ instead.

I like what MJ brings off the field and his production as a DT in passing situations justify his roster spot.

I would have cut Pacman years ago, I could care less about a few good punt returns. 

5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I like what MJ brings off the field and his production as a DT in passing situations justify his roster spot.

I would have cut Pacman years ago, I could care less about a few good punt returns. 

Who cares what MJ does off the field other than not go to jail? Not choirboys...PRODUCTION. And Pac has had WAY more than "just a few" good punt returns. Sometimes his returns change games because he flips the field,

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Who cares what MJ does off the field other than not go to jail? Not choirboys...PRODUCTION. And Pac has had WAY more than "just a few" good punt returns. Sometimes his returns change games because he flips the field,

Maybe you don't see the value in having players being responsible and positive members of the community, but many people do.

As for Pacman's return game value, it's a bit overrated. He's only had 1 TD his longest return since 2012 has been 47 yards, which is good but that's irreplaceable. His off the field issues don't out weigh his production.

As for production, I would argue that Johnson's production and leadership makes him more valuable than Pacman 

On 2/19/2018 at 7:19 PM, Bunghole said:

Sometimes his returns change games because he flips the field,

And sometimes his dumb shit changes games because he takes 15 yard penalties being a jackass.  One game in particular comes to mind.  Dude is terminal cancer of the AIDS to a locker room.

3 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

But AIDS is curable now!

Not when the AIDS has cancer of the bird flu.  You can't cure it, you can only hope to Redeem it for Good Boy Points.   They may not appear on the scoreboard but they are more important than winning.

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not when the AIDS has cancer of the bird flu.  You can't cure it, you can only hope to Redeem it for Good Boy Points.   They may not appear on the scoreboard but they are more important than winning.

That was beautiful man!!  I NEVER wanted him here.  Never.  I won't lie, he has been a good on the field player (except one game)  but off the field he is a piece of shit.  

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

And sometimes his dumb shit changes games because he takes 15 yard penalties being a jackass.  One game in particular comes to mind.  Dude is terminal cancer of the AIDS to a locker room.

That flag should have been on Joey Porter.  Can't help it if the refs are in the stealers' hip pockets.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

That flag should have been on Joey Porter.  Can't help it if the refs are in the stealers' hip pockets.

true

32 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It should have been on both Porter and Pac-Man.  Jones took the bait.

and true

I used to defend him...but I am tired of trying...

It's ALWAYS not his fault or something..just an unlucky guy I guess 

Not to be a downer about Jones being cut, but it probably wouldn't happen until later during training camp or at final cuts if at all.  So they won't cut him to use the money on a free agent if that's what everyone is hoping for.  I see them letting Pacman recover from surgery and seeing how he looks before making a decision.  If he looks washed up in camp, then he might get cut.  Otherwise he stays as an overpaid returner and for depth at CB.  

Archived