2018 Free Agency thread

6 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Mike McGlinchey

I would be very, very happy with that....so much so I would have even hesitantly accepted him at 12. I think he's taken a lot more criticism than has been warranted and will be a helluva pro tackle...one who has enough upside to take over for Glenn looking into the future, if necessary. He reminds me a lot of Whitworth, a guy who also got trashed during the draft process. We could do a lot worse with our first round pick...put it that way. 

for sure .....I actually think he's likely a career RT but that's okay with me.

I also like Tryrell Crosby A LOT as a RT so I'll throw his name into the mix as well.

actually I think if it were me.....I'd go Isaiah Wynn at 21 and Tyrell Crosby at 46.

13 minutes ago, spicoli said:

for sure .....I actually think he's likely a career RT but that's okay with me.

I also like Tryrell Crosby A LOT as a RT so I'll throw his name into the mix as well.

how about McGlinchey (21) and Billy Price (46)  vs  James Daniels (21) and Tyrell Crosby (46) .....tough call there. 

Crosby scares the hell out of me. Quite simply because the kids out of that system are so hard to project and we have already failed once "big time" trying to do that. So, I'll pass on that latter idea of the two. But with what you're suggesting I would have to note my dream scenario. I'd love to take a bookend tackle like McGlinchey at (21), but the guy who I'd really like to see at (46), that is if he makes it there, is Justin Reid, a do all free safety. I think that would help the team the most, as well as play into the way this team tends to draft offense and defense vice versa usually in the early rounds of the draft. Then grab a center like Ragnow in round 3.  There's so many different ways this could play out, all due to the way this trade has opened things up for us. 

5 hours ago, Hooky said:

Good luck, Sugar Tits. See you back here in the 2019 season. If not before.

That actually sucks to be honest.  He played ok at the price.  Certainly adds needed depth to the line. Cant blame him, pretty good money considering his age and overall effectiveness.  

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

That actually sucks to be honest.  He played ok at the price.  Certainly adds needed depth to the line. Cant blame him, pretty good money considering his age and overall effectiveness.  

Yeah I think he was really underrated by a lot of people in 2017. He and Boling were easily our best 2 linemen and actually played well throughout the year. I can't remember a game where Andre got abused very much and unfortunately I can't say that for many of our other guys.

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

I wasn't knocking him. I just like to call him that and was serious that he'll be back. I was a little disappointed when I heard this news since I consider him a dependable backup if needed. But I would've also been disappointed if we re-signed him with the intent of him being a starter and not upgrading.

12 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

I think she is talking about Safety Eric Reid from the 49ers...

I'd love to have him here but we do already have 2 guys that are more of the SS type. Would rather have a ballhawking center fielder.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

I wasn't knocking him. I just like to call him that and was serious that he'll be back. I was a little disappointed when I heard this news since I consider him a dependable backup if needed. But I would've also been disappointed if we re-signed him with the intent of him being a starter and not upgrading.

Totally agree. Experienced fairly decent back ups on the o line are a nice thing to have but there will always be a team desperate for a stop gap offensive tackle to start.  We certainly could have used 2 of them last year instead of just Andre.

33 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Saw somewhere that Jensen is expected to get $10M+ per year on a long-term deal. He's not even all that good. 

With the big change in OL salaries, a Center at #21 makes a lot more sense now than it would have 5-10 years ago. 

Jensen was realllllllly good last year. If I'm the Bengals I don't make him the highest paid C in the league, but no denying the dude had a good 2017.

100% agree with your 2nd part. I wanted us to go after Jensen or Richburg at first, but their contracts are fuckin' nuts man. I'd be more than happy with Price, Daniels, OR Ragnow. Get 1 of those 3 and you have a pretty damn happy fanbase, or at least you should. They're all great prospects.

11 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Do we even have any good restructure candidates? TBH almost every contract on the team is team friendly already.

Cut candidates would be LaFell, MJ, Shaw, TJ Johnson, and not many others that come to mind. If Dennard didn't play so well last year that would be another $8m in cap space but he's a guy we should probably keep around.

I really think free agency for us is down to replacing bottom of the roster guys at this point unless we target another safety. I bet we pick up some cheap positions to replace losses like RB3/4 (Hill, Peerman), backup OT (Winston), rotational DE (Smith). I see all of the other areas of need (C, TE, ILB, another OT, etc.) coming via the draft.

Archived