2018 Free Agency thread

On 3/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, High School Harry said:

With a combination like that, they may fill 1/3 of their stadium for home games.  Or not.

:lol: ain't that the truth

Do people in LA just hate football? Both of the LA teams had shit attendance at home last season and both teams were pretty good.

On 3/26/2018 at 6:34 PM, oldschooler said:

A comment from that Suh tweet above...

Wish my team could turn off salary cap

Same :46:

Bengals could have easily afforded Suh. He makes 14 mil for this year. Baker+Pacman+MJ93=14 mil. 

So basically cutting Michael Johnson would have let us sign Suh instead of Baker.

42 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

:lol: ain't that the truth

Do people in LA just hate football? Both of the LA teams had shit attendance at home last season and both teams were pretty good.

I think places like that it's because there are so many other things to do than watch a football game. Places like Lambeau will fill the stadium up no matter how shitty they are, because the only other options are drinking beer and or ice fishing.:lol:

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals could have easily afforded Suh. He makes 14 mil for this year. Baker+Pacman+MJ93=14 mil. 

So basically cutting Michael Johnson would have let us sign Suh instead of Baker.

Remember though, Suh in a Bengals uni would equal probably only half a season played due to suspensions.:1hump:

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't know about "easily".

Baker ($2.43m cap hit) + Pacman ($5.78m cap relief) + Johnson ($4.987m cap relief) = $13.197 so it's not quite there plus that's replacing 3 players with 1 Suh so that's 2 more roster spots worth of cap space that you have to add in even if they're league minimum guys.

Plus Suh took less to go to the LA Rams. He was offered more elsewhere so his Bengals price was almost 100% not $14m. This isn't the place people dream of playing for the weather, owner, or recent winning.

"Easily" is quite the stretch when you look at all the facts of the situation. I'd love Suh on this team but it's not really so simple to get there.

19 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Remember though, Suh in a Bengals uni would equal probably only half a season played due to suspensions.:1hump:

it was never going to happen in a million years (much like OBJ).. but could you imagine him and Burfict on the field on the same team.

The refs would get a boner throwing flags at those two.

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't know about "easily".

Baker ($2.43m cap hit) + Pacman ($5.78m cap relief) + Johnson ($4.987m cap relief) = $13.197 so it's not quite there plus that's replacing 3 players with 1 Suh so that's 2 more roster spots worth of cap space that you have to add in even if they're league minimum guys.

Plus Suh took less to go to the LA Rams. He was offered more elsewhere so his Bengals price was almost 100% not $14m. This isn't the place people dream of playing for the weather, owner, or recent winning.

"Easily" is quite the stretch when you look at all the facts of the situation. I'd love Suh on this team but it's not really so simple to get there.

Yeah, I don't buy that logic. Pacman's money has already been put towards other players, like Preston Brown and Cordy Glenn. 

MJ is probably going to get cut after the draft, which will open up a little more space but they're trying to get extensions done with Geno and Dunlap, so that $5M will go quickly.

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

Yeah, I don't buy that logic. Pacman's money has already been put towards other players, like Preston Brown and Cordy Glenn. 

MJ is probably going to get cut after the draft, which will open up a little more space but they're trying to get extensions done with Geno and Dunlap, so that $5M will go quickly.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Adam Jones is on speed dial for the first time one of our defensive backs gets an ouchie.

The Pac Will Be Back.

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Let's not kid ourselves.

Adam Jones is on speed dial for the first time one of our defensive backs gets an ouchie.

The Pac Will Be Back.

I think he'll be back for $1.5 or $2M on a one year deal. I'm ok with it if it happens.

He's an above average return man and decent option as a #4 CB. And our top 3 CBs have all had injury issues in the past. 

7 hours ago, happyrid said:

I think he'll be back for $1.5 or $2M on a one year deal. I'm ok with it if it happens.

He's an above average return man and decent option as a #4 CB. And our top 3 CBs have all had injury issues in the past. 

Has there been any reports or even speculation of any teams looking at him? I haven't seen any. That makes me think you're right unless this org has changed. It seems in the past that the bengals can't bare to see one of their free agents go  unsigned.

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

Has there been any reports or even speculation of any teams looking at him? I haven't seen any. That makes me think you're right unless this org has changed. It seems in the past that the bengals can't bare to see one of their free agents go  unsigned.

No, I haven't seen any reports of other teams interested in him or even any reports about the Bengals wanting him back. 

Just making a guess. The Bengals always love to be as deep as possible at CB. And with his off field stuff, I doubt there's going to be a huge market for him outside of Cincy. If he's still sitting out there looking for a job in July and willing to take a little more than the vet minimum, it probably makes sense for both him and the team. 

I wouldn't expect the Bengals would get in any kind of bidding war for him if a market does develop though. They have a lot of cap space tied up on Dre and Dennard this year and I do buy that they're relatively tight up against the cap once they sign picks and get extensions done with Dunlap and Atkins. 

Archived