Comp picks announced

13 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Nothing that is surprising, hopefully with 11 total picks the Bengals can find a few impact players. I wish they would have been able to trade McCarron, they would have had 6 of the first 100 picks in the draft.

Same here. An additional second and a third would be worth more than all our compensatory picks combined. Plus, we'd get to sack AJ several times a year.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

All things considered I think I'd rather have a decent OL than 2 draft picks.

I think we all can agree with this.  Draft picks are an unknown quantity while the guys we lost had both proven themselves as Pro Bowl caliber players.  At this point we have to hope for the best that the comp picks turn into a quality player or two.  With 4 picks in the first 100, I am banking on at least two of those being used on o-line.  

28 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I read it and thought it had been written by the gone but not forgotten Fred Troll.

A tad heavy on the sugar coating.

3/4 :ninja:

In all seriousness, it's nice to see they have been on track with the right strategy.  Need to nail this draft and have more lucky than unlucky breaks go our way in the season. A big lucky break would definitely be having Tyler Eifert back and 90-100 % all year. Somehow being able to get a first round bye would be huge as well. AFC is at it's weakest in a long time. Maybe this is the year for us.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:23 PM, GoBengals said:

guys have to want to still be on the bengals for that opinion to even be a factor.

or willing to tag one..

both clearly wanted to leave.

Zeitler maybe, I think Whitworth stays if we even came close to matching LA's offer.  Granted we'd all be less salty about it if they hadn't royally shit the bed attempting to draft his replacement.  

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Zeitler maybe, I think Whitworth stays if we even came close to matching LA's offer.  Granted we'd all be less salty about it if they hadn't royally shit the bed attempting to draft his replacement.  

I think Zeitler would have stayed too if we matched.  That just wasn't going to happen.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeeeeep. Some people made shit up out of thin air and claim that we "were close" with our offer...but that's not true at all. The Bengals offered Whitworth a 1 year, incentive based $10-11M contract.

With the things Whit said around the time of the shitstorm happening, I think he retires a Bengal if we offer him a 2-3 year deal even if it was a couple million less than what LA offered. Mike didn't want to give him more than a 1 year deal and Whit wanted 2+ and made that very, very clear to the public.

27 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeeeeep. Some people made shit up out of thin air and claim that we "were close" with our offer...but that's not true at all. The Bengals offered Whitworth a 1 year, incentive based $10-11M contract.

With the things Whit said around the time of the shitstorm happening, I think he retires a Bengal if we offer him a 2-3 year deal even if it was a couple million less than what LA offered. Mike didn't want to give him more than a 1 year deal and Whit wanted 2+ and made that very, very clear to the public.

Pretty much this.  I think it really started with Whit back in 2015.  He was in the last year of his current contract and they drafted Oogie and Jake.  He even made some comments about it.  IIRC they only gave him a one year extension after Oogie went on injury leave.  He played thru 2016 on that one year extension.  2017 rolls around and all the Bengals offer is another one year deal and he left.  Of course back in 2016 the Bengals didn't hesitate to give shit head Pacman a 3 year deal.  In fact Whitworth announced he was going to the Rams one year to the day that the Bengals signed Pacman to that 3 year deal

On 2/24/2018 at 11:45 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

I think we all can agree with this.  Draft picks are an unknown quantity while the guys we lost had both proven themselves as Pro Bowl caliber players.  At this point we have to hope for the best that the comp picks turn into a quality player or two.  With 4 picks in the first 100, I am banking on at least two of those being used on o-line.  

And this is our second year receiving 4 comp picks. That's the maximum.

Can we officially retire the "They may do nothing in Free Agency, but they resign their own" argument? They are bargain basement shoppers, and that's why we're watching "Mac and Me" tonight... That DVD was only $1.99.

27 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Pretty much this.  I think it really started with Whit back in 2015.  He was in the last year of his current contract and they drafted Oogie and Jake.  He even made some comments about it.  IIRC they only gave him a one year extension after Oogie went on injury leave.  He played thru 2016 on that one year extension.  2017 rolls around and all the Bengals offer is another one year deal and he left.  Of course back in 2016 the Bengals didn't hesitate to give shit head Pacman a 3 year deal.  In fact Whitworth announced he was going to the Rams one year to the day that the Bengals signed Pacman to that 3 year deal

"Yes, we really value the locker room leadership of anyone making less than the top 32 amounts for their position."

~Katie Blackburn

See the source image

17 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And this is our second year receiving 4 comp picks. That's the maximum.

Can we officially retire the "They may do nothing in Free Agency, but they resign their own" argument? They are bargain basement shoppers, and that's why we're watching "Mac and Me" tonight... That DVD was only $1.99.

Yeah I can buy the "you can't pay everyone" arguments from people to an extent but the reality is the Bengals just aren't very creative with the cap like other teams and we haven't been drafting well enough to let us be competitive while bargain hunting.

Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu, Whit, and Zeitler were all allowed to walk and they were each replaced with a less talented player that came with a cheaper contract. Re-sign either WR and either lineman and we probably see the playoffs again in 1 of the last 2 seasons.

20 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah I can buy the "you can't pay everyone" arguments from people to an extent but the reality is the Bengals just aren't very creative with the cap like other teams and we haven't been drafting well enough to let us be competitive while bargain hunting.

And we consistently roll over tons of cap each year. 

2015: $8,697,310
2016: $7,587,902
2017: $6.5 Million

On average these numbers don't look so bad until you realize that average is severely skewed by teams like the Browns having $20+ Million of unspent money. Also, part of the "Cap" for 2017 was spent on paying Burfict for 2018. 

We're essentially playing the Stealers each year with $10 Million less spent on talent.

Archived