Tyler Eifert: Does he stay or does he go?

3 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

May not be the popular opinion, but I think he stays. I think the Brown family values him more than outside teams, and we have so many holes to fill in the draft we don't have the luxury to think that we can just draft his replacement in the second. He's also going to be a "bargain" as an injured player, and that just turns Katie's Lay-Z-Boy into a slip-n-slide. 

I think Tyler Kroft is super overrated by most Bengals fans. He can't block well at all and he's not a big threat in the passing game either. So with that being said, I'd like to see Eifert back on some type of deal loaded with incentives or we do need to be actively searching for his replacement. There could be a team out there to throw some guaranteed money at Eifert that the Bengals won't match though, I can't see Mike Brown being the one to throw a bunch of money at him but who knows.

1 hour ago, Griever said:

unless we are talking an extremely good bargain, I hate wasting the roster spot on someone who could legit play half the year or less...

The problem is someone will take a bit of flyer on him.  Nothing crazy but more guarantee money, multiple years and incentives.  He is a hell of a player when healthy.  I can't imagine us offering more, time for him to move on. 

1 hour ago, whodey? said:

Bu bye. See ya wouldn’t want to be ya. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. 

This is so stupid. 

He’s as reliable as Burfict and I don’t see anyone on here wishing him a good riddance. 

This offense needs every weapon it can get a hand on in order to prop up its average QB. But sure, let’s wave goodbye to the QB’s favorite weapon and usher in the fucking Tyler Kroft era. 

Even if he maxes out at 8 games this season. That’s 8 games the team has a better chance of winning. 

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

This is so stupid. 

He’s as reliable as Burfict and I don’t see anyone on here wishing him a good riddance.

This offense needs every weapon it can get a hand on in order to prop up its average QB. But sure, let’s wave goodbye to the QB’s favorite weapon and usher in the fucking Tyler Kroft era. 

Even if he maxes out at 8 games this season. That’s 8 games the team has a better chance of winning. 

This is so stupid, factually incorrect, and just lazy. Burfict has played in 68 games while Eifert has played in 39. C'mon man, at least do an ounce of research before you make ridiculous claims.

In the last 3 years, Eifert has played in just 48% of the regular season games while Burfict has played in 65% despite missing 6 games in the last 2 years due to bullshit suspensions from the NFL. In the last 2 years, Eifert has played in 10 games while Burfict played in 10 last year alone.

Eifert hasn't scored a TD since week 13 of the 2016 season, his days of striking fear into OC's are gone. He has to prove he can make it through TC before teams start gameplanning to stop him and after 3 back surgeries, making it thru TC is no sure thing. I can't see him getting more than a league minimum 1-year deal, I would hope the Bengals would go with a more reliable option. Also, Tyler Kroft is a good player not sure why you are so down on him, at least he's available. 

2 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

He's not the 2nd best player Andy has ever thrown too, maybe in 2015 but not currently, and I would say AJ Green is the best red zone threat Andy's ever thrown to, not Eifert.

Outside of his 2015 season, Eifert has 7 TD's in 4 seasons; he's not the first ballet HOF'er some people are making him out to be. The most yards he's ever had in a season is 615, he's definitely replaceable. Fans want the team to build around weapons that actually suit up and play consistently, not a guy that has missed 22 out of the last 32 games, has had 3 back surgeries, a knee surgery, and hurts himself running routes in practices...he's Chris Perry 2.0..aka Mr. Glass. 

People are judging Eifert based on what he did over 2 years ago, and that was a statistical anomaly more than the norm for his career.

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He's not the 2nd best player Andy has ever thrown too, maybe in 2015 but not currently, and I would say AJ Green is the best red zone threat Andy's ever thrown to, not Eifert.

Outside of his 2015 season, Eifert has 7 TD's in 4 seasons; he's not the first ballet HOF'er some people are making him out to be. The most yards he's ever had in a season is 615, he's definitely replaceable. Fans want the team to build around weapons that actually suit up and play consistently, not a guy that has missed 22 out of the last 32 games, has had 3 back surgeries, a knee surgery, and hurts himself running routes in practices...he's Chris Perry 2.0..aka Mr. Glass. 

People are judging Eifert based on what he did over 2 years ago, and that was a statistical anomaly more than the norm for his career.

Some would say he's due to a few healthy seasons. It could happen ...

And some are afraid he'll go on to another team and end up a 1st ballot HOF'er.

I for one would like to see him stay. But won't be heartbroken if another team throws a lot of money at him and he leaves.

15 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

And some are afraid he'll go on to another team and end up a 1st ballot HOF'er.

I for one would like to see him stay. But won't be heartbroken if another team throws a lot of money at him and he leaves.

Pretty much agree with this.  Back issues are one of the worst medical problems you can have for quality of life. 

2 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

And some are afraid he'll go on to another team and end up a 1st ballot HOF'er.

The back surgeries are the only reason why I wouldn't want him back, once football players start having back surgeries it's pretty much over for them being productive. Eifert has had back injuries since his freshman year at ND in 2009 and he's still suffering from back problems that must be corrected by surgery. The probability he will have another back injury is greater than he will have a Pro Bowl season, he's 3:1 in the back surgery/Pro Bowl ratio. 

He's has shown flashes of talent, but he's also shown he can't stay healthy and his body can't hold up to the demands of playing in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

The back surgeries are the only reason why I wouldn't want him back, once football players start having back surgeries it's pretty much over for them being productive. Eifert has had back injuries since his freshman year at ND in 2009 and he's still suffering from back problems that must be corrected by surgery. The probability he will have another back injury is greater than he will have a Pro Bowl season, he's 3:1 in the back surgery/Pro Bowl ratio. 

He's has shown flashes of talent, but he's also shown he can't stay healthy and his body can't hold up to the demands of playing in the NFL. 

You can't blame a guy for trying to get one more contract.  The 16th highest paid TE made $5.6 mil last year and was paid $7.5 mil guaranteed (Jack Doyle Indy).   Figure Eifert has a little more wow factor so I dunno he could probably get a contract for around that much although probably less guaranteed and with incentives.    I certainly don't think we pay it. 

Just now, SF2 said:

You can't blame a guy for trying to get one more contract.  The 16th highest paid TE made $5.6 mil last year and was paid $7.5 mil guaranteed (Jack Doyle Indy).   Figure Eifert has a little more wow factor so I dunno he could probably get a contract for around that much although probably less guaranteed and with incentives.    I certainly don't think we pay it. 

He's literally given his body and his future, can't imagine he's going to be pain-free in 20 years and hasn't gotten the big payday. He's just coming off his rookie deal and after the 2015 season most thought he was in line for a monster contract and that is not going to happen. I can't fault the guy either, I would even say he deserves it after he's given so much, but I hope the Bengals aren't the one who pays him. Let him go to Cleveland, NYJ, or Niners.

8 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

This is so stupid. 

I’ve said it before, WHEN HEALTHY Eifert is a fucking beast. Problem is he’s never healthy. Time to move on unless he comes on a super ridiculously cheap team friendly deal. 

2 minutes ago, whodey? said:

I’ve said it before, WHEN HEALTHY Eifert is a fucking beast. Problem is he’s never healthy. Time to move on unless he comes on a super ridiculously cheap team friendly deal. 

Move on to what?

Surround Dalton with the same lackluster supporting cast he had last year and see if the results are different. 

Why not move on from Lafell and give that money to Eifert? If you blow it, so be it. You were getting nothing from Lafell anyway. 

I say Eifert goes because another team will offer him more total dollars and more guaranteed money.  Mikey has already stated on the record that he would like to keep him but that he expects to take into account all of the games Eifert has missed.  In other words, he'll keep him if it is at a discount and possibly with incentives based on playing time.  Eifert probably knows this will be his last chance to cash in so I think he will bolt for even one more dollar offered by someone else. !

Personally, I think it would be foolish to invest any kind of significant money in Eifert.  It's not reasonable to expect him to even approach playing a full season given the nature of back injuries.  It stinks for him and the Bengals to come to this point because he is a very talented player when healthy.  I would consider building around him except that I have zero confidence in Eifert staying on the field. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, LostInDaJungle said:

May not be the popular opinion, but I think he stays. I think the Brown family values him more than outside teams, and we have so many holes to fill in the draft we don't have the luxury to think that we can just draft his replacement in the second. He's also going to be a "bargain" as an injured player, and that just turns Katie's Lay-Z-Boy into a slip-n-slide. 

I agree 100%

when healthy he is productive....

good value $$$$

& it's a position we "hopefully" won't have to worry about next year....

we have enough holes as it is....

23 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Move on to what?

Surround Dalton with the same lackluster supporting cast he had last year and see if the results are different. 

Why not move on from Lafell and give that money to Eifert? If you blow it, so be it. You were getting nothing from Lafell anyway. 

I don't think Lafell was a problem....

I think the problem was Dalton didn't have a good O-line & didn't have enough time to go through his reads to find the 2nd or 3rd option in a pass play.....

1 hour ago, pucksinwah said:

I don't think Lafell was a problem....

I think the problem was Dalton didn't have a good O-line & didn't have enough time to go through his reads to find the 2nd or 3rd option in a pass play.....

He’s never done that much anyway.

He’s a first read QB. 

If what he thinks he sees pre-snap is not really there, he bolts from the pocket. 

Archived