A look at which teams had the most home grown snaps in 2017

Ehhhhhhh. Not all players who get snaps are created equally which makes something like this essentially meaningless right off the bat. I know there's a certain someone who doesn't post here anymore that would always use the "he was an NFL starter for 4 years!" argument if you would say a player is mediocre or bad, but snap count doesn't always indicate quality. Just because a stubborn team starts shitty players doesn't mean those player become good since they're "NFL starters".

There are good and bad teams at the top, bottom, and throughout the middle. There doesn't seem to be much of a noticeable pattern here, you just have to look at each individual team and see why they have so many "homegrown" snaps I guess.

Another thing is that major injuries can skew the data for a single year. Look at the Colts. If Andrew Luck starts all year that's 1,000+ more "homegrown" snaps. Instead Jacoby Brissett has to play the majority of the season even though Luck is obviously the guy the team would want to be in there.

I guess it's interesting to see but it doesn't tell us much. Everybody that watches NFL football already knows the Bengals, Packers, Stealers, Cowboys, etc. aren't as active in free agency as most other teams so I'm not surprised to see them all near the top regardless of how successful each of the teams happen to be.

Archived