NFL looking at capping Defensive Pass Interference at 15 yds

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Only if they suck and get beat.  

You mean like when they normally commit PI now? It's not hard to imagine why this rule change would be a bad idea.

Late in a game, down by a TD.  Ball on your own 20.  WR gets single-coverage, streaking down the sideline... And the DB just tackles the guy because why not?  Sure it's a first down but you don't give up the score and it only moves them to the 35.  

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You mean like when they normally commit PI now? It's not hard to imagine why this rule change would be a bad idea.

Late in a game, down by a TD.  Ball on your own 20.  WR gets single-coverage, streaking down the sideline... And the DB just tackles the guy because why not?  Sure it's a first down but you don't give up the score and it only moves them to the 35.  

Agreed.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's a good point. You have swayed me,..until Dre fucks up again.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

It's a good point. You have swayed me,..until Dre fucks up again.

Dre was the best CB in the entire NFL against the 9/go/fly/whatever you want to call it in 2016 but got beat up deep last year. We really gotta hope he gets his shit together. IMO (outside of our OL of course) he's our biggest "make or break" candidate for 2018, his play could affect our defense more so than most other guys and has shown to be one of our most inconsistent defenders. He's either lights out or the exact opposite from game to game.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:09 PM, T-Dub said:

I mean.... They already do that. Because if you're going to get beat, why not commit PI when he's blowing by you at the 30 yard line instead of letting the guy go all the way to the end zone? I can't imagine a scenario where you're getting beat for an 80 yard TD and have to commit PI in the end zone. If you're close enough to commit PI at that point, then make a play on the ball. 

You'll often see a PI call and hear the announcers call it a smart move because "If he doesn't tackle him there, that's a touchdown." 

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I mean.... They already do that. Because if you're going to get beat, why not commit PI when he's blowing by you at the 30 yard line instead of letting the guy go all the way to the end zone? I can't imagine a scenario where you're getting beat for an 80 yard TD and have to commit PI in the end zone. If you're close enough to commit PI at that point, then make a play on the ball. 

You'll often see a PI call and hear the announcers call it a smart move because "If he doesn't tackle him there, that's a touchdown." 

Except now it’s only 15 yards instead of 45. 

Archived