Quick hits: Lewis focuses on offense, Bodine, Eifert, Coleman

Quick hits: Lewis focuses on offense, Bodine, Eifert, Coleman

Posted 37 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

INDIANAPOLIS_ During Friday morning’s media availability at the NFL scouting combine Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis reiterated he’s pinning much of his hopes of a turnaround on a renovated offense spearheaded by new permanent coordinator Bill Lazor.

His ability to put the offense together. I felt really comfortable with that. Excited about,” Lewis said on why he tuned to Lazor after his interim role in 2017.  “And to be able to have him do it from the onset.”

Lewis indicated the team is sticking with the West Coast shell that Jay Gruden brought to the franchise in 2011, but there are going to be differences with the major one how the running game fits with the passing game.

Lewis also said:

_He’d like to see a deal for free-agent center Russell Bodine. Bodine has started every game of his four seasons and those 64 starts are the fourth most in Bengals history by a player at the beginning of his career. He’s behind the first center in club history, Bob Johnson (94), as well as quarterback Andy Dalton (77) and tight end Dan Ross (65).

“I think Russell would like to continue in Cincinnati. It’s just a matter of hopefully both sides coming to an agreement that’s in the middle,” Lewis said. “When it gets to a certain point we’re going to have to do parallel paths. That’s the important part. He’s done a real good job for us, for me for four years. He’s a tough player. He’s played every game since he became a Cincinnati Bengal. That speaks to his toughness and his durability.”

_He also wants to re-sign tight end Tyler Eifert, but admits the injuries are a challenge. His back has yet to be cleared by the team, but they’d still like him back.

“There’s going to be risk taken on both sides hopefully something can be done to keep Tyler in Cincinnati,” Lewis said. I think that’s important to him and hopefully it can get done. There are going to be challenges. He’s been productive when he’s been on the field and sometimes a guy can’t control when he gets injured.

“He dealt with an ankle injury that was legitimate. Everybody saw what happened. He dealt with an elbow when he was playing football and when you play football, things happen. Hopefully all the things he’s dealt with in his back are corrected.”

_The interest in former Panther safety Kurt Coleman, a nine-year vet, is very real. His 21 career interceptions and locker room sway are the lures.

“In watching him on tape he fit to the schematics the way we wanted to see. We felt really good about his ability to help us to continue to upgrade the defense,” Lewis said. “Having players such as Kurt Coleman if we’re able to add him to the mix, he’s been very proficient in turning the ball over.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Quick-hits-Lewis-focuses-on-offense-Bodine-Eifert-Coleman/05e7e907-6abf-4de0-a727-4084ee018a4e?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

22 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

With the 12th pick, in the 2018 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select....Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia.

We pick up some Oline guys in FA and I would be all in on that choice.

Seems like the Raiders will take Roquan Smith. 

We desperately need to replace Ogbuehi and Bodine as starters. We might have to trade for a LT. There are multiple centers available who are upgrades over Bodine. I expect we'll re-sign Andre Smith. If we had something like Cordy Glenn-Boling-Jensen-Hopkins/Westerman/Redmond-Andre Smith we could roll with that. It would let us use our first pick on either O-line or a defensive playmaker. We could come back in the 2nd round with an O-lineman like Miller, or maybe Hernandez or Brown. 

19 hours ago, Jason said:

If we can trade back I'd be ok with McGlinchey or Miller.  I'm going to have to watch more of Brown too.  He was really good against UGA, but he looked unathletic and unmotivated yesterday.

That's where the tape comes in.   Some guys are just damn good football players, they  have the intangibles but not the metrics.   That's Orlando Brown.   

Then there's the guys who knock it out of the park in underwear but just don't translate that onto the field...take Colton Miller.   If he played like the twinkle toes he shows in shorts, He'd be the #1 pick over all the QBs, but he doesn't.   No way a guy that big and incredibly agile should whiff on blocks 2-3 times a game.   

Of course if you could find a guy that combined the two....you would have another Anthony Munoz....I can dream if I want.... 

8 hours ago, Dr Tarzan said:

That's where the tape comes in.   Some guys are just damn good football players, they  have the intangibles but not the metrics.   That's Orlando Brown.   

Then there's the guys who knock it out of the park in underwear but just don't translate that onto the field...take Colton Miller.   If he played like the twinkle toes he shows in shorts, He'd be the #1 pick over all the QBs, but he doesn't.   No way a guy that big and incredibly agile should whiff on blocks 2-3 times a game.   

Of course if you could find a guy that combined the two....you would have another Anthony Munoz....I can dream if I want.... 

There is no justification for the pathetic showing of Orlando Brown other than he just didn't give a shit about the combine.   Your metrics simply can't be that bad and be a quality NFL O lineman.   Unless he was tanking on purpose there is no reason to draft this guy since he obviously had better things to do the last 2 months. 

Yeah, I hope the Bengals pass on Brown. The biggest job interview of your life at your profession and you look like complete garbage. That's a HUGE red flag to me. How about the Bengals drafting that one-handed dude in the second round at LB? Seems like he wants to play football and overcome adversity.

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Yeah, I hope the Bengals pass on Brown. The biggest job interview of your life at your profession and you look like complete garbage. That's a HUGE red flag to me. How about the Bengals drafting that one-handed dude in the second round at LB? Seems like he wants to play football and overcome adversity.

Shaquem Griffin. Twin brother was drafted by the Hawks last year. Looks like he's gonna be a player for sure. Projections I've seen are 3rd round earliest. Definitely a playmaker and high character kid. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

There is no justification for the pathetic showing of Orlando Brown other than he just didn't give a shit about the combine.   Your metrics simply can't be that bad and be a quality NFL O lineman.   Unless he was tanking on purpose there is no reason to draft this guy since he obviously had better things to do the last 2 months. 

Uhh....don't be too hasty with that assessment.   Your memory must be short as our, arguably, best player had a similar combine.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-vontaze-burficts-2012-debacle-drops-him-out-of-draft/

He may end up being shit, but underwear olympics don't make the player.   Most of the players train specifically for the combine and their numbers may not reflect what they will be once they train for football and get on the field.   REmember Andre Caldwell?   He ran a 4.37.....and couldn't seperate on a deep pattern to save his life.  Just a random example.

25 minutes ago, Dr Tarzan said:

Uhh....don't be too hasty with that assessment.   Your memory must be short as our, arguably, best player had a similar combine.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-vontaze-burficts-2012-debacle-drops-him-out-of-draft/

He may end up being shit, but underwear olympics don't make the player.   Most of the players train specifically for the combine and their numbers may not reflect what they will be once they train for football and get on the field.   REmember Andre Caldwell?   He ran a 4.37.....and couldn't seperate on a deep pattern to save his life.  Just a random example.

Burfict, Calais Campbell, and Terrell Suggs come to mind as guys who got hammered by the media or fans for their spandex day performances. I'm sure a quick Google search would show about 20 more upper tier players in the same category.

I'm fairly confident that Brown is a starting NFL RT right away and at least an average one (if not better) within a couple of seasons.

21 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Burfict, Calais Campbell, and Terrell Suggs come to mind as guys who got hammered by the media or fans for their spandex day performances. I'm sure a quick Google search would show about 20 more upper tier players in the same category.

I'm fairly confident that Brown is a starting NFL RT right away and at least an average one (if not better) within a couple of seasons.

Orlando Brown combine update:
*14 bench reps
*official 5.85 40 yard dash
*yelled at by coaches during drills for loafing.

Sorry but there is huge difference between Burfict coming in overweight which affected important linebacker metrics and this guy coming in WEAK.  Burfict did more reps than this guy.  You can NOT be weak and play oline. 

The biggest issue is coaches were yelling at him DURING the combine for loafing.  Dude is a turd.  Pass.

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

*14 bench reps

Sorry but there is huge difference between Burfict coming in overweight which affected important linebacker metrics and this guy coming in WEAK.  Burfict did more reps than this guy.  You can NOT be weak and play oline. 

The biggest issue is coaches were yelling at him DURING the combine for loafing.  Dude is a turd.  Pass.

Was his dad the one who got hit in the eye by a ref's flag and was visually impaired after that?

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

*14 bench reps

I have no problem passing on him because we have a capable, fairly priced RT if we can re-sign Andre for a 2-3 year deal and the team still seems to think Fisher has something in the tank.

I just don't let the combine drastically affect how I feel about any player whether it's negative or positive.

11 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I have no problem passing on him because we have a capable, fairly priced RT if we can re-sign Andre for a 2-3 year deal and the team still seems to think Fisher has something in the tank.

I just don't let the combine drastically affect how I feel about any player whether it's negative or positive.

I dont either if the results are middle of the road but tape says the guy can play.  These are bottom of the barrel results.  It is simply an indicator of his work ethic.  

Orlando Brown might end up being a very good starting NFL OT one day, that does NOT mean however that you take him at 12......that would be a HUGE fucking reach and the very worst thing you can do in terms of the draft is to reach for a player in order to fill a specific need.

and it's not just Brown, every damn OT in this draft would be a reach at 12...sometimes you just can't fill every need with draft picks, it is what it is. 

Archived