Quick hits: Lewis focuses on offense, Bodine, Eifert, Coleman

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Orlando Brown might end up being a very good starting NFL OT one day, that does NOT mean however that you take him at 12......that would be a HUGE fucking reach and the very worst thing you can do in terms of the draft is to reach for a player in order to fill a specific need.

and it's not just Brown, every damn OT in this draft would be a reach at 12...sometimes you just can't fill every need with draft picks, it is what it is. 

They may not even view RT as a need if we end up re-signing Andre and Fisher is able to play football this year.

As far as every OT being a reach at 12...they said the same thing about every OT last year and 3 out of the 4 top tackles had very nice seasons and would have given us a LOT more production than John Ross did. As much as I want a top prospect like Derwin James or Vita Vea I'd be fine with a LT at 12 even if he wasn't "supposed" to be picked quite so early. I just want the team to address actual needs if they aren't going to go for a potentially elite prospect like James.

Mike McGlinchey or Connor Williams at 12 vs say Tyrell Crosby or Martinas Rankin at 46.

IMO, there's just not enough of a talent gap between any of those prospects that could justify passing on a playmaking S or LB, or some beast DT like Vita Vea or even Da'Ron Payne.

that's pretty much where I'm at with this particular draft.....next year it should be stacked with OT's, maybe we just have to wait a year to get our guy. Just sign a stop-gap in FA or two for 2018 or hope Pollack can salvage something out of Ogb/Fisher.

This "still be a reach" shit kills me every year.

There is no such thing as a reach... if your organization feels that a player is a 10 year player, then fucking take them.

This "rating system" was designed to raise more fucking money for the NFL.

11 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

if your organization feels that a player is a 10 year player, then fucking take them.

but what if you can get that same 10 year guy, just at a different position? and what if that guy offers higher upside as well? 

that's where "reach" comes in for me .... you just DON'T take a lesser player in order to fill a hole, period. 

That's just it spicoli, you have NO IDEA if ANY player is going to be an all-pro or mega bust (unless we take them, then bust percentages go drastically higher).

It's all guess work, hope, and luck... every year teams by pass a 10 year guy for that "blue chip top ranked stud", only to find out that the guy is a putz.

Lesser player is ALL in the eyes of the beholder... yet people SWEAR by Kiper, McShay, and the other talking heads ratings. 

It's a joke...

Don't worry, there will be plenty of Sundays next year when Ced is still lining up at LT and Derwin James is playing 30% of the snaps as a hybrid linebacker, to consume plenty of alcohol.

Archived