Combine hits: No clear-cut tackle at 12; Safety hunt continues; Vea has Bengals model

Combine hits: No clear-cut tackle at 12; Safety hunt continues; Vea has Bengals model

Posted 1 hour ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

020918-james-darwin-art.jpg

Florida State safety Derwin James.

INDIANAPOLIS _ NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock emerged from his Combinathon late Saturday afternoon and didn’t see a left tackle at No. 12. He sees them in the second and third round, but not that high.

The Bengals are hoping at least four quarterbacks are off the board in the first 11 picks, but apparently that won’t help them right away in the pursuit of protection for quarterback Andy Dalton’s blindside.

Not with Oklahoma’s Orlando Brown Jr., sliding, Texas’ Connor Williams on and off, and Note Dame’s Mike McGlinchey destined for the second half of the first round.

“I think (Mike) McGlinchey is going to be a starter for 10 years in this league,” Mayock said. “But there’s interesting guys in the second and third rounds.”

He was left raving about UCLA’s 6-8, 308-pound Colton Miller after Saturday’s rampage on the Lucas Oil Stadium floor.

“I don’t think his tape is as good as his workout, but he’s 6-8 ½, great feet and he ran and jumped like crazy. Some people are going to say Colton Miller is a first-round pick. But you have to do our homework on all these guys. There are some interesting kids out there. I just don’t how they shuffle out of there by late April.” …

The Saints agreed with Kurt Coleman on a three-year deal a day after he met with the Bengals, but the safety hunt continues into the draft. It’s not a position as deep as offensive or defensive line, so you have to get them early. NFL Draft Scout’s Rob Rang says Florida State’s Derwin James would be a fit at 12. Comparison? How about one magazine comparing him to Hall-of-Famer Mel Renfro?

“He’s more of an in-the-box safety, but he’s a player with impact Rang said. “He can cover and he can return kicks for you.” …

Yes, massive Washington nose tackle Vita Vea grew up watching fellow Samoan Domata Peko play the nose for the Bengals. But the player he emulates is another former Bengals defensive lineman: Justin Smith.

“A very strong guy,” said the 6-4, 340-pound Vea Saturday afternoon, about half-an-hour before he wowed the place with 41 reps of 225 pounds …

INDIANAPOLIS _ NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock emerged from his Combinathon late Saturday afternoon and didn’t see a left tackle at No. 12. He sees them in the second and third round, but not that high.

The Bengals are hoping at least four quarterbacks are off the board in the first 11 picks, but apparently that won’t help them right away in the pursuit of protection for quarterback Andy Dalton’s blindside.

Not with Oklahoma’s Orlando Brown Jr., sliding, Texas’ Connor Williams on and off, and Note Dame’s Mike McGlinchey destined for the second half of the first round.

“I think (Mike) McGlinchey is going to be a starter for 10 years in this league,” Mayock said. “But there’s interesting guys in the second and third rounds.”

He was left raving about UCLA’s 6-8, 308-pound Colton Miller after Saturday’s rampage on the Lucas Oil Stadium floor.

“I don’t think his tape is as good as his workout, but he’s 6-8 ½, great feet and he ran and jumped like crazy. Some people are going to say Colton Miller is a first-round pick. But you have to do our homework on all these guys. There are some interesting kids out there. I just don’t how they shuffle out of there by late April.” …

The Saints agreed with Kurt Coleman on a three-year deal a day after he met with the Bengals, but the safety hunt continues into the draft. It’s not a position as deep as offensive or defensive line, so you have to get them early. NFL Draft Scout’s Rob Rang says Florida State’s Derwin James would be a fit at 12. Comparison? How about one magazine comparing him to Hall-of-Famer Mel Renfro?

“He’s more of an in-the-box safety, but he’s a player with impact Rang said. “He can cover and he can return kicks for you.” …

Yes, massive Washington nose tackle Vita Vea grew up watching fellow Samoan Domata Peko play the nose for the Bengals. But the player he emulates is another former Bengals defensive lineman: Justin Smith.

“A very strong guy,” said the 6-4, 340-pound Vea Saturday afternoon, about half-an-hour before he wowed the place with 41 reps of 225 pounds …

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Combine-hits-No-clear-cut-tackle-at-12-Safety-hunt-continues-Vea-has-Bengals-model/5679bb90-5ef3-4037-b68e-4124da92553c?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Draft is weird, man.  How can an OT that's considered a 10-year starter be worth pick #20 but not pick #12? We don't have pick #20. We're going to pass on a solid starting OT, a position of dire need, because.. why? Some asshole on ESPN will call it a reach?  Peter fucking King might give us a C- draft grade?  Are we trying to win football games or are we running for Prom Queen here?

28 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Draft is weird, man.  How can an OT that's considered a 10-year starter be worth pick #20 but not pick #12? We don't have pick #20. We're going to pass on a solid starting OT, a position of dire need, because.. why? Some asshole on ESPN will call it a reach?  Peter fucking King might give us a C- draft grade?  Are we trying to win football games or are we running for Prom Queen here?

I believe what the author is stating is that while McGlinchy or whatever OT picked in the first round might be a capable starter in the NFL for 10 years or so, there are other players that are better. Vita Vea and Derwin James have pro bowl ability and if given the chance the Bengals should draft one of those players and get an OT later as there isn't much difference between the best and the 7th or 8th rated OT.

35 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I believe what the author is stating is that while McGlinchy or whatever OT picked in the first round might be a capable starter in the NFL for 10 years or so, there are other players that are better. Vita Vea and Derwin James have pro bowl ability and if given the chance the Bengals should draft one of those players and get an OT later as there isn't much difference between the best and the 7th or 8th rated OT.

I seriously doubt that.  Whether our FO is able to tell the difference is another question.

There is no clear-cut favorite, can't miss OT prospects in this year draft so that means it's better to get a stud DT, S, or LB if Nelson isn't available and get your OT in the second or third round depending on how the draft plays out. The top 3 tackles have major flaws: Connor Williams is inconsistent, McGlinchey struggles vs. the speed rush, Orlando Brown bombed the workout portion of the combine and he's not very athletic. My point is you can get an OT in the top half of the second round that is probably just as good as one of the guys that will go in the 16-32 range of the draft.

If Martinas Rankin, Tyrell Crosby, Kolton Miller, JaMarrco Jones, or Brian O'Neill are available at 46 then the Bengals will still be able to get a guy who is just as good as any of the guys who were drafted ahead of them.  The Bengals should not reach for an OT just because they have a need at that position when there are better players available at 12, I'm talking about studs that are game changers. Vita Vea is a day one starter, Derwin James can play CB or S and makes this defense much more flexible. If either one of these guys is available at 12 then you have to select them over an OT that isn't that much better than the other 6 or 7 guys at his position. 

8 hours ago, pucksinwah said:

damn.....

I was about 85% the # 12 pick would be McGlinchey but now .....i'd say it's about a 33% chance.....

so I guess it'll be BPA.....

b/t a Safety, DT, or LB....

but in rd #2 we HAVE TO GO OT....

Or Center

Doubt if Billy Price slides but the other good one (James?) should be there maybe in three.

However, if BPA and Colton Miller (my top OT) even if we had to trade up to get him, would be wonderful

Another thing ... will post the article/source if I can find it again later says Honey Badger might be a free agent.

Albeit, an expensive one but with Burfict and Lawson a fine addition to out D.

Also saw some speculation that head case Sheldon Richardson could be a reclamation project for The Redeemer

and Father Marvigan and the Boys' Town Bengals.

There really isn't a single position on the offensive that finding a quality NFL starter won't help.  Certainly tackle and center are glaring spots.  Let's just we can get some ok guard play out of one of our collection of career prospects.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, High School Harry said:

Or Center

Doubt if Billy Price slides but the other good one (James?) should be there maybe in three.

However, if BPA and Colton Miller (my top OT) even if we had to trade up to get him, would be wonderful

Another thing ... will post the article/source if I can find it again later says Honey Badger might be a free agent.

Albeit, an expensive one but with Burfict and Lawson a fine addition to out D.

Also saw some speculation that head case Sheldon Richardson could be a reclamation project for The Redeemer

and Father Marvigan and the Boys' Town Bengals.

if we don't go OT in rd #1

we have to go OT in rd #2

just seems like the Bengals never want a quality Center...

if they take one this year it'll probably be a low pick...a project...

might be a good reason to pick Lamar Jackson at 12 so after Dalton's out b/c of injury Jackson can just run on every pass play....

b/c Bodine's gonna be here forever....

I'm betting Hobson started his wedding night by telling his bride "Honeymoon hits: Little Hobknob comes in undersized, speed and technique over size and endurance".

Dude has a real gift for using 300 words to explain to you that you're going to be disappointed.

When they drafted 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, Jamie_B said:

This is the same situation we were in when we drafted Ced O in that we were too low from the top guys to get one of them so we picked Ced who well....

When they drafted Ced,I remember Marvin or someone saying that they got a top 5 worthy pick.They thought he was that good.That's why Paul A.doesnt have a job here anymore.Both recently drafted OT's and Bodine all busts.

Archived