Big haul? Bengals.com article

Big haul?

Posted 4 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

INDIANAPOLIS - This just may be the draft the Bengals go big or go home.

030318-Vita-Vea-art.jpg

Vita Vea watched Justin Smith and Domata Peko.

INDIANAPOLIS - This just may be the draft the Bengals go big or go home.

Maybe not right away at No. 12. But they have four picks in the first 100 and could/should/would end up with three offensive and defensive linemen in the first two days before heading into the fourth round on the last day on April 28.

“This is the draft to do it,” says Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com. “It’s about as deep as it’s been up front on both sides of the ball.”

And don’t the Bengals need linemen?

Head coach Marvin Lewis hates to be definitive when it comes to the club’s plans, but he said during this week’s NFL scouting combine here that the Bengals are going to add players to the offensive line during the offseason. And during his media availability new defensive coordinator Tyrel Austin emphasized his desire for size and run-stoppers.

Austin pointed to his years in Baltimore (2011-13) as a secondary coach that included a Super Bowl title and the Ravens’ penchant for stopping the run. In the middle of it all was the great nose tackle Haloti Ngata. “One of the premier run-stoppers ever,” Austin said.

Like Austin says, going small and fast in the AFC North doesn’t end well and in 2006 his boss in Baltimore, general manager Ozzie Newsome, made the ultimate AFC North move when he traded up a spot to 12 to get Ngata in the first round. And nine years later another AFC North team grabbed another massive nose tackle at No. 12 when the Browns took Danny Shelton.

On Saturday, one of Shelton’s groomsmen at last week’s wedding showed up at the podium and Washington’s Vita Vea had a chance to make this combine his own moving down the aisle Sunday when he runs the 40-yard dash. He’s huge (6-3, 345) and strong (he promptly left the podium to rep 225 pounds 41 times) and he’s fast enough to joke about his college teammate’s record 40 last year.

“You can tell John Ross and Adidas I'm coming for the island,” he joked.

He didn't annex any territory, but 5.1 seconds is pretty good considering it was marred by a tweaked hamstring that took him out of the rest of the drills. 

The Bengals have that 12 spot for nose tackles, but is he a top ten pick?  Vea has a nice sense of history (he watches Reggie White tape) and he’s quite aware of fellow Samoans who have come before him, such as former Bengals nose tackle Domata Peko.

“Oh definitely,” Vea said. “Haloti Ngata when he played for the Ravens. He was outstanding down there. Obviously when he made that transition to Detroit, he did great
over there. He continued to shine. All of them, you know, Danny still now that he's up in the league and making his mark up there. Even in the backfield, Troy Polamalu, as a kid growing up you want to be those superstars and you watch all of them, and Peko, definitely watched some of him when he played fullback back at Cincinnati.”

030118-brown-orlando-art.jpg

Oklahoma tackle Orlando Brown Jr. struggled in Indy.

But the player he emulates is another Bengals draft pick, Justin Smith, a Pro Bowl act Vea caught while a kid in the Bay Area after Smith had moved on to the 49ers.

“I really admired Justin Smith growing up,” Vea said. “He was a very powerful man. And that's what I feel like one of my strengths was growing up was just being strong and having that power. Definitely watching him and trying to model my game after him.”

The knock on Vea is that he won’t give you much of a pass rush but the Bengals don’t need it with first-ballot Hall-of-Famer Geno Atkins next to him. If the Bengals don’t have a shot at Vea, they should have a chance at other run stuffers later. They could use some height and ballast in there and prospects like 6-3, 291-pound Taven Bryan of Florida, 6-2, 335-pound Tim Settle of Virginia Tech, and 6-4, 288-pound Da’Shawn Hand of Alabama may be answers in the first 100.

At the moment, the pundits don’t see an offensive tackle worthy of No. 12.

Orlando Brown Jr., of Oklahoma isn’t going that high after he combined a glacial 40 with a weak bench press. Connor Williams of Texas missed eight games with a knee injury over the last two seasons and the draftnicks wonder if he has the speed to deal with NFL edge rushers. Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey sounds like he’s one of the most well-rounded, but even his most visible supporter, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, says he’s a second-half of the first round pick.

But there are going to be some interesting guys in the next round or two, such as UCLA’s Kolton Miller and Ohio State’s Jamarco Jones. The 6-8, 308-pound Miller came here so under the radar that he took as many questions about UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen as he did about himself.

But he tested so well (setting the broad jump combine record for O-linemen at 10-1 while logging the third fastest 40 of the day on the line at 4.95 seconds and the second-best vertical leap at 33.5 inches) that teams are now going to go back and watch his games again. Humboldt State’s Alex Cappa just doesn’t look to have the big-school pedigree the Bengals covet.

And there are guards out there, too. We know they like Georgia guards since their incumbent left guard is Clint Boling and here comes Isaiah Wynn, another guy that played left tackle for the Bulldogs. Texas El-Paso’s Will Hernandez is viewed as one of the more powerful guys in the draft. Wynn may be on to something when it comes to guards.

“Nowadays, you're getting more of the quicker guys,” Wynn said. “They're not just powerful; they're also quicker and able to work moves. I feel like they're looking for guards who are more athletic than probably in previous years.”

There are also centers. If Russell Bodine re-signs we’re not having this conversation but he hasn’t yet.

Maybe Ohio State’s Billy Price ends up sliding a bit after he suffered a partially torn pectoral muscle in his combine lift. He says it’s a minor injury and that he should be fine for training camp, but what does that do to the spring he needs to get in sync with the offense? Just ask the Bengals’ last first-round pick.

Also getting some heavy run are Iowa’s James Daniels and Arkansas’ Frank Ragnow.

“I think it’s one of the deeper interior offensive line classes I’ve seen recently, especially at the top end,” Mayock said. “Wynn is highly intriguing … he’s going to be in that (same) conversation,” Mayock said. “When you talk about drop off, Wynn, Daniels, Hernandez, Billy Price, maybe even Frank Ragnow, all are in that conversation of late one to mid two.”

Three linemen in the first two days?

“It’s a big man’s game,” said Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin. “I wouldn’t have any problem with that if that’s how it unfolded.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Big-haul/e9ee6780-7d6e-4991-a3e7-ebe1d6a3bfb2

20 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I really wish that trade for McCarron would have been completed, that would be 6 picks in the top 100. If the Bengals draft 3 OL and 1 DL I would be very happy with that. 

fucking browns 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I really wish that trade for McCarron would have been completed, that would be 6 picks in the top 100. If the Bengals draft 3 OL and 1 DL I would be very happy with that. 

3 OL, 1 DT, 1 LB, 1S (not necessarily in that order)

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Price, Daniels or Ragnow should be a Bengal before the draft is over.

I know most Bengals fans are OSU homers so obviously according to some people Billy Price is going to be the best o-lineman to ever play the game, but I'd bet anything that Ragnow ends up a better natural C in the NFL. He's is being mocked all the way down into the 4th in some places, I'd definitely take him with our 3rd round comp if he's there. He's my favorite center in the draft by far. Daniels should excel in the right scheme being a good athlete but Ragnow is just a football player. I'm sure Price will be good too, but overrated by a lot of Bengals fans IMO.

34 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I know most Bengals fans are OSU homers so obviously according to some people Billy Price is going to be the best o-lineman to ever play the game, but I'd bet anything that Ragnow ends up a better natural C in the NFL. He's is being mocked all the way down into the 4th in some places, I'd definitely take him with our 3rd round comp if he's there. He's my favorite center in the draft by far. Daniels should excel in the right scheme being a good athlete but Ragnow is just a football player. I'm sure Price will be good too, but overrated by a lot of Bengals fans IMO.

the voters that gave Price the outland trophy and made him all american must think he's an ok player too...

I am a Buckeye homer...but why is he overrated? Is it jsut because you don't like the Bucks? 

I will be really happy if they get either one of them...

8 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

the voters that gave Price the outland trophy and made him all american must think he's an ok player too...

I am a Buckeye homer...but why is he overrated? Is it jsut because you don't like the Bucks? 

No he's obviously good but some Buckeye homers just rate him too highly purely because he's a Buckeye. I think he's a very good prospect, I never said he's not going to be good.

I guess my main point is that I think you end up with better football players if you take Derwin James (for example) at 12 and wait for Ragnow in the 3rd/4th instead of taking Billy Price at 12 and taking a 3rd/4th round safety (or LB/NT/OT or whatever you passed on in the 1st round).

I'm not 100% sure how much it matters though because we're probably going to re-sign Bodine for 4 years, $20M or something and never worry about upgrading C anyway.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

No he's obviously good but some Buckeye homers just rate him too highly purely because he's a Buckeye. I think he's a very good prospect, I never said he's not going to be good.

I guess my main point is that I think you end up with better football players if you take Derwin James (for example) at 12 and wait for Ragnow in the 3rd/4th instead of taking Billy Price at 12 and taking a 3rd/4th round safety (or LB/NT/OT or whatever you passed on in the 1st round).

I'm not 100% sure how much it matters though because we're probably going to re-sign Bodine for 4 years, $20M or something and never worry about upgrading C anyway.

I totally agree with that... I want a play maker like james, smith or fitz in the 1st.... taking Price at 12 would be silly

10 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I totally agree with that... I want a play maker like james, smith or fitz in the 1st.... taking Price at 12 would be silly

Either James or Roquan Smith would be fine with me.  Go oline with 2nd and 3rd picks.   I just don't see enough value at Oline in this draft to take one in the first.   Figure the one draft we desperately need olineman and 6 good QB prospects  are available. 

2 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I think I want Vea at 12, an OT in the 2nd and C in the 3rd.  I believe we have to keep building that D and putting Vea next to Geno for the next couple of years while Geno winds down will be nice.  

1. Vea

2. LT

3. LB/TE/S

3(comp). Ragnow

4-5. whatever we didn't get in 3

Would be something along the lines of what I'd like to see.

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

College trophies and accolades don't mean anything in the NFL. Many Heisman winners have been massive busts or haven't even been seriously looked at in the draft. I actually agree with omgdrdoom. There have been a large number of people on this board getting a little overboard on Price. I think he's a good player who is likely a first round pick but some people have been really overvaluing him. I actually snickered quite a bit when I read his post because it was comedically accurate. 

I am currently hoping for Derwin James, Tremaine Edmunds or Quenton Nelson at #12.

11 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

College trophies and accolades don't mean anything in the NFL. Many Heisman winners have been massive busts or haven't even been seriously looked at in the draft. I actually agree with omgdrdoom. There have been a large number of people on this board getting a little overboard on Price. I think he's a good player who is likely a first round pick but some people have been really overvaluing him. I actually snickered quite a bit when I read his post because it was comedically accurate. 

I am currently hoping for Derwin James, Tremaine Edmunds or Quenton Nelson at #12.

so you wouldn't want him in the 2nd round??

That's when I am saying he would be a good pick.

Snicker away...but they don't usually just give all american to ok players 

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

2nd round, absolutely. The snickering was around the ridiculous overvaluing on this board. Guys saying they'd all but run to the podium and take him at #12. There's been a lot of pump the brakes moments reading about Price on here. Trust me, I like the guy. It's just been pretty funny reading some people's blind adoration on here.

10 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

All American players were great in college, it doesn't mean they'll automatically translate to the NFL which is what BengalFanInTO was saying.

I think he's clearly better than a "just OK" prospect, but I've seen people saying he's the best interior lineman in X years, best C in X years, can play multiple positions better than top guys already in the NFL, etc. etc. It's not just here either, that's stuff I've been reading on various message boards and other forms of Bengals social media.

Hell, the guy could very well end up being the best center in the history of the NFL but I'll still think it's funny that some people talked him up so much just because they watch OSU games so he's the only center they've really seen play much.

13 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

2nd round, absolutely. The snickering was around the ridiculous overvaluing on this board. Guys saying they'd all but run to the podium and take him at #12. There's been a lot of pump the brakes moments reading about Price on here. Trust me, I like the guy. It's just been pretty funny reading some people's blind adoration on here.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

All American players were great in college, it doesn't mean they'll automatically translate to the NFL which is what BengalFanInTO was saying.

I think he's clearly better than a "just OK" prospect, but I've seen people saying he's the best interior lineman in X years, best C in X years, can play multiple positions better than top guys already in the NFL, etc. etc. It's not just here either, that's stuff I've been reading on various message boards and other forms of Bengals social media.

Hell, the guy could very well end up being the best center in the history of the NFL but I'll still think it's funny that some people talked him up so much just because they watch OSU games so he's the only center they've really seen play much.

I guess I haven't been paying that much attention.. I haven't really seen people say take him at 12..

And I haven't been saying we must draft him or anything.. I am just saying he's a good player at a position we need someone at.

Just now, fluhartz said:

I guess I haven't been paying that much attention.. I haven't really seen people say take him at 12..

And I haven't been saying we must draft him or anything.. I am just saying he's a good player at a position we need someone at.

I think it's totally reasonable to really want him in the 2nd round or to say that he's a good prospect. That stuff is fine.

I only mentioned him being overrated in Bengals land because of some of the crazy stuff we talked about above. Some of it has been pretty wild.

Right now I just want them to find an upgrade to Bodine, I don't care whether it's Price, Ragnow, Daniels, Westburg, Jensen, anyone that is either a good UFA or a good draft prospect.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I only know one guy on this board suggesting Price at 12.

I would absolutely LOVE Vea at 12 ......unfortunately, I think the Raiders get him at 10.

Da'Ron Payne is no joke, I'd have no problem taking him at 12 either. 

keep an eye on Davenport, he's pretty much Ziggy Ansah 2.0 ......I could see Austin getting a woody. 

8 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

on most of the mocks I've seen Price is usually ranked in the 20's

never have seen him as high as 12...

& w/ his injury we may be able to get him in rd #2

at this point i'd prefer Lamar Jackson at 12....& try to start him next year.....trade Dalton for picks....

10 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I think I want Vea at 12, an OT in the 2nd and C in the 3rd.  I believe we have to keep building that D and putting Vea next to Geno for the next couple of years while Geno winds down will be nice.  

#MeToo

Would love it if the big guy, Kolton Miller, would slide to round 2.

Would trade up to get him.  Pure O LEFT T.  Orlando Brown scares me.

Ragnow or Daniels in round 3

James and R. Smith will be gone.  

R. Smith would be nice but Vea would be a solid choice and be there a decade.

13 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'd rather they go into a round targeting a position that targeting tOSU.

Archived