Pick 12 Poll

Pick 12  

25 members have voted

1. 1. If each of the players below is available at 12, who would you take?

• Mike McGlinchey
    • Vita Vea
    • Derwin James
    • Marcus Davenport
    • Roquan Smith

I chose McGlinchey.  I would be happy with any of those guys.  But:

1. If they want to emphasize running the ball, he is the best run blocking LT in this draft.

2. While he may not be the best player, and would be a little bit of a reach at 12 I do think he is the biggest upgrade over what we have now of any of the other guys except maybe Smith. (I still have high hopes that Billings takes a big step this year.  If he doesn't I'm all for drafting a NT next year.)

3. He fills the biggest need.

I went with Smith although I know he and James will be gone.

Would be very pleased with Vea moreso, even, than James.

Didn't McGlinchy get eaten alive in a big game near the end of the season?

Unless he was injured or ill, scares me a bit.

However, I can see the Marvengals going with Orlando Brown because Marvin knew his father

or even the second coming of Akili Smith quarterback from Louisville.

They are going to have to come up with a strong draft, esp the first few rounds and grab at least one

quality free agent or same old, same old.

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Didn't McGlinchy get eaten alive in a big game near the end of the season?

Unless he was injured or ill, scares me a bit.

Yes, he had a bad game against "The U".  

16 minutes ago, spicoli said:

that's second round discussion, not first. 

I could use more free time on Sundays so I won't mind if they overdraft another combine superstar. 2 years in a row with that shit and I'll just watch other teams more than I already do. 

I mean if they take him at #12 overall BTW, 2nd round would be fine.

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Went with Vea.  I have a feeling we won't be able to keep Atkins after this year. 

Vea isn't a 3T though, if we aren't keeping Geno we need to find his replacement and not just another really good tackle that would play next to him. For the record I want Vea if he's there but I want Vea AND Atkins on the field. 

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Went with Vea.  I have a feeling we won't be able to keep Atkins after this year. 

I think they make Geno a priority.  I'd sign him over Dunlap if I could only have 1.

12 hours ago, pucksinwah said:

i'd prefer Lamar Jackson at 12

10 hours ago, Rick said:

Me, too.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :2dedhorse::2dedhorse::2dedhorse::2dedhorse:

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

100%. Positional scarcity. 

Isn't a 4-3 DE with the most QB hits and batted passes in the last 5 years scarce too though? Also, only JJ Watt has him beat among ALL NFL DEs in QB hits, not just the 4-3 guys. I honestly think Carlos Dunlap is one of the most underrated players in the NFL even by Bengals fans. He's an 8 or so sacks, couple forced fumbles, always in the QBs face kind of guy year in and year out. Dude deserves more respect than he gets.

I really think we need both here for a few more seasons. The defense is immediately much worse without either of them.

36 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :2dedhorse::2dedhorse::2dedhorse::2dedhorse:

Isn't a 4-3 DE with the most QB hits and batted passes in the last 5 years scarce too though? Also, only JJ Watt has him beat among ALL NFL DEs in QB hits, not just the 4-3 guys. I honestly think Carlos Dunlap is one of the most underrated players in the NFL even by Bengals fans. He's an 8 or so sacks, couple forced fumbles, always in the QBs face kind of guy year in and year out. Dude deserves more respect than he gets.

I really think we need both here for a few more seasons. The defense is immediately much worse without either of them.

Spot on...

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't think so. Atkins at DT is exceptionally rare. Dunlap is great and I would love to have him back but you are picking stats to show is uniqueness. Dunlap is great, I love him and I want him here but he isn't an elite DE in the league. Atkins is all pro and a potential hall of famer. 

14 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't think so. Atkins at DT is exceptionally rare. Dunlap is great and I would love to have him back but you are picking stats to show is uniqueness. Dunlap is great, I love him and I want him here but he isn't an elite DE in the league. Atkins is all pro and a potential hall of famer. 

That uniqueness is one of the things that has made our defense widely considered our team's strength for the past 7 years. Of course I'm picking the stats that show how good he is, I'm specifically trying to show why he's good, ya know? It's not like I'm spinning anything here, the dude has had more QB hits in the last 5 years than anyone not named JJ Watt, that's damn impressive IMO. You (not you specifically, but "you" anyone really) wouldn't guess his name at #2 behind Watt because of how underrated he is.

Geno is a potential HOFer, I totally agree. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick 1 over the other I'm going Geno 100% of the time. I'm just saying that I think some people are going to be missing Dunlap more than they realize if he goes elsewhere. He's very, very, very good. He does more for this defense than a lot of people realize.

Individual player pass pressures

2017 - Lawrence, Mack, Donald, Ingram, Miller, Dunlap

2016 - Vernon, Graham, Dunlap

2015 - Watt, Dunlap

I guess if you don't want to call him elite you don't have to, but I personally don't think you need to be a 15+ sack guy just to get the "elite" title. Getting to the QB consistently and disrupting the pocket is huge in the NFL whether you finish the play or not.

I'm good with Edmunds, Vea or James, but if they think McGlinchey can become a Whitt-like 10yr. LT, then I'm not gonna bitch about them "reaching" for him @ #12 (although I wouldn't mind dropping a few spots if it meant getting him AND adding another premium pick).

10 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

That uniqueness is one of the things that has made our defense widely considered our team's strength for the past 7 years. Of course I'm picking the stats that show how good he is, I'm specifically trying to show why he's good, ya know? It's not like I'm spinning anything here, the dude has had more QB hits in the last 5 years than anyone not named JJ Watt, that's damn impressive IMO. You (not you specifically, but "you" anyone really) wouldn't guess his name at #2 behind Watt because of how underrated he is.

Geno is a potential HOFer, I totally agree. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick 1 over the other I'm going Geno 100% of the time. I'm just saying that I think some people are going to be missing Dunlap more than they realize if he goes elsewhere. He's very, very, very good. He does more for this defense than a lot of people realize.

Individual player pass pressures

2017 - Lawrence, Mack, Donald, Ingram, Miller, Dunlap

2016 - Vernon, Graham, Dunlap

2015 - Watt, Dunlap

I guess if you don't want to call him elite you don't have to, but I personally don't think you need to be a 15+ sack guy just to get the "elite" title. Getting to the QB consistently and disrupting the pocket is huge in the NFL whether you finish the play or not.

Id definitely miss Dunlap. I just look at the roster and see 2 guys I wouldn't be surprised reached his level and I don't think that's true at DT. 

Archived