UPDATE: Bengals tell Pacman he won't be back without a pay cut

The Bengals have a big decision to make in regards to Adam Jones.

The veteran cornerback has an option for 2018 that the team has to exercise soon, or else he’ll become an unrestricted free agent. To this point, the Bengals have given no indication which way they’re leaning on this decision.

But on Friday, Jones told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com that he hopes to be back with the team, though he’s also open to playing for another team.

While about as vague as a tweet can be, it ‘sounds’ like Jones realizes his time in Cincinnati could be coming to an end, and if so, he’ll consider playing for another team.

However, Jones also sounds like he’s willing to re-sign with the Bengals if they offer him a new contract, which would almost certainly be less than the $6,447,918 he’s set to make in 2018,according to Spotrac.

Whatever this means, it sounds like a decision on Jones will be announced very soon.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/9/17101394/cryptic-tweets-bengals-wont-be-picking-up-adam-jones-option

That will really hurt the development of the young players on defense....I can't imagine losing a team captain who is such a role model.

:ninja:

According to the team website, the Bengals informed Adam Jones they would not pick up his team option for 2018, but would like him back to compete as a nickel corner and a kick returner. However, this does not mean Jones is a free agent immediately. Jones is still under contract until the start of the new league year (March 14), and the Bengals would have no reason to cut him or do anything with his contract now, because they would only receive a compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere as an unrestricted free agent. This also does not rule out a return to Cincinnati at a different price.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017322-4

Even at a lesser salary from us, I don't think anyone else will give him more than what we offer with everything considered going against him. I.e declining play and off field issues. We may have to talk Rick off the ledge though if he doesn't come back.:lol:

5 hours ago, schotzee said:

We may have to talk Rick off the ledge though if he doesn't come back.:lol:

I am still unhappy how he acted in the 4th quarter against the Stealers in the playoff game! 

Smart move to force Jones to play for a reduced salary if he wants to remain a Bengal.  He still has value as a returner and for depth at CB.  His age and injury history aren't worth $6 million and he shouldn't be getting snaps over Dennard or Jackson.  I hope he's back, but they will be fine if he's not. 

Will Adam Jones be with the Bengals to start the 2018 season?

Adam Jones' long run with the Cincinnati Bengals could be in jeopardy if he's not willing to accept a new role with the team.

The Bengals' official website reported Friday the team will not pick up his 2018 contract option, but Cincy would like to potentially re-sign him as a nickel corner and kick returner. Unless he's willing to settle for a new paygrade below the $5.5 million he was slated to get under his option, Jones likely will be on the market when the free-agent signing period opens Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

"Of course I'd love to come back," Jones told Geoff Hobson ofBengals.com. "Don't make it sound like I'm ready to get out of there because I'm not. I'm very thankful to everyone there, Coach [Marvin] Lewis and [team owner Mike] Brown.

"...I'd love the chance to get on the field and compete every play, every down. Obviously I've got some things to sit down and think about the next couple of days with my family."

Jones had a difficult 2017 campaign that was hampered by injuries along with a one-game suspension at the start of the season. At 34, Jones has entered the expendable phase of his career for cornerbacks his age, even though he's constantly reminded his Twitter followers this offseason that he's working hard to keep Father Time at bay. The rise of cornerbacks Dre Kirkpatrick, William Jackson and Darqueze Dennard also has put Jones' Bengals future in a very precarious spot.

Still, this could be the end of what has been a memorable and, at times, tumultuous run in Cincy that witnessed his rise as one of the NFL's top cornerbacks. Since resurrecting his career with theBengals in 2010, Jones has been the cornerstone of Cincinnati's backfield. He was a First-Team All-Pro selection in 2014 and was a Pro Bowler in 2015.

Several off-field incidents, including his misdemeanor obstruction conviction last year that led to his one-game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy, have tarnished his legacy. Brown publicly supported Jones after last year's arrest, but it remains to be seen if anyone outside Cincinnati would be willing to give the one-time dynamic playmaker a chance as a starting corner in 2018.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920424/article/bengals-wont-pick-up-adam-jones-contract-option?campaign=tw-nf-sf184130698-sf184130698&sf184130698=1

Archived