Keeping our enemies close 2018

On 11/11/2018 at 6:25 PM, Cricket said:

Years ago I looked up some of the info on the CBA and specifically tagging...and that is my recollection.   I can’t recall the source, but shouldn’t be too difficult to find.

You're correct.  The earlier confusion was that everyone assumed that if Bell skipped this season, it wouldn't count as an accrual and would wouldn't advance up the Franchise Tag ladder, meaning the Stealers could retag him next year at the same 14.5M rate (adjusted for any new salaries that could affect that number, of course).

But, that turned out to not be the case because he's a 4 year veteran, so the season counts and he advances to the third tier of the franchise tag, which would give him the average of the top 5 salaries in the league, regardless of position (which the Stealers obviously won't do).  

At worst, the Stealers would use the transition tag, which would give them the right to match any offer Bell receives.  In that scenario, the Stealers would likely wait and see what offer Bell got, and if it was reasonable enough, they'd probably keep his rights and then trade him to guarantee they got something back for him.

But realistically, they're not going to do that and they'll just let him walk to get that headache over with.  

8 minutes ago, PutWittyNameHere said:

You're correct.  The earlier confusion was that everyone assumed that if Bell skipped this season, it wouldn't count as an accrual and would wouldn't advance up the Franchise Tag ladder, meaning the Stealers could retag him next year at the same 14.5M rate (adjusted for any new salaries that could affect that number, of course).

But, that turned out to not be the case because he's a 4 year veteran, so the season counts and he advances to the third tier of the franchise tag, which would give him the average of the top 5 salaries in the league, regardless of position (which the Stealers obviously won't do).  

At worst, the Stealers would use the transition tag, which would give them the right to match any offer Bell receives.  In that scenario, the Stealers would likely wait and see what offer Bell got, and if it was reasonable enough, they'd probably keep his rights and then trade him to guarantee they got something back for him.

But realistically, they're not going to do that and they'll just let him walk to get that headache over with.  

Why didn't they try to trade him this season?

36 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Trade market was basically non existent for him as per bleacher report.

Correct.  

First, he would have had to sign his franchise tag before the Stealers could have made any move with him involved, and Bell never signed it.  So their hands were tied either way.

But, if even if Bell had signed, then at best, he would have been a loaner until the end of the season when his tag expired and he became a free agent all over again.  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Why didn't they try to trade him this season?

That brings up an interesting parallel that I just came up with. How different is this from our quitter situation and how the orgs were viewed by the media? I know the specifics are different, but if Mikey didn't sign Bell and held him to the franchise tag, like he didn't give the quitter what he wanted, how demonized would he be? I know, the stealers probably deserve more of the benefit of a doubt since they win more, but I'm a fan of objectivity and against just pure discriminatory hate.

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I agree and no ninja.

He and Burfict were the only two guys on this team with any enthusiasm and 

this year Burf seems like he's tranquilized.

Except when he stepped on Yabda's handa.

And got spit on.

Yep, and I was being pretty much serious too.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Dang, that's a tough one.  Is the leadership of a drunken angry manchild with no self-control better than the empty chair we have now?

"Empty Chairs do not make tackles" ~ Bruce Lee: Enter the Dragon

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Dang, that's a tough one.  Is the leadership of a drunken angry manchild with no self-control better than the empty chair we have now?

This team needs a pulse. I'd bring him back. Really can't hurt at this point. Rick also says to come home Adam!

Archived