Keeping our enemies close 2018

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am not talking about full blown tackling, just talking about a receiver and corner playing patty cake which isn't allowed. 

A starting NFL Linebacker probably has more high impact contact in one game than an NBA player has in an 82 game season and playoffs.

True.  The league has this tendency to wait til the 11th hour to get things done (CBA, officiating strike) & they end up with rushed contracts with provisions that aren't necessarily good for anyone in the long run.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Looks like Bell isnt returning to Shitsburgh after this year

They will try and run him into the ground.  Look for a week 10 Kawhi Leonard type "injury".

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Schefter already guessing/reporting yesterday that Bell may hold out 8 games. That would be swell by me. 

If he is on the active roster for 3 games it counts as a year of service.   He could play 3 and sit the rest of the year depending on how important the money is to him.   My guess is Pitt would either sign him quickly or trade him.   The fans and Big Jen would not be happy about it at all and would side with Bell.  Guy is an incredible running back / receiver.   There is NO WAY  IN HELL Bell will allow the Stealers to rush him near 321 times again this year under another franchise tag.  Not going to happen. 

This one could definitely get messy.  The Stealers have no reason not to use Bell as much as possible since he's as good as gone in 2019.  Of course Bell needs to be healthy to cash in next year and there's no chance he wants another 400 touches this season.  A holdout into the season or faked injury are not outside the realm of possibility.  

I don't think Bell goes anywhere. I for one tire of ANY player whining about "long term security" for some new deal when they can make $14.5 MILLION guaranteed under the tag for ONE season. There is no such thing as "long term security" for any NFL player just because they sign a long term deal. There's only guaranteed money, your health and performance. Long term contracts tend to have less guaranteed money unless you're an established QB, LT or CB, and not too old, either. Even then there is so much money on the table if they cut you during that deal.

If I played at the highest level in the NFL I would WANT the franchise tag every year. It's guaranteed money and you're paid as if you're at the very top of your position across the league. Remember when we tagged Shayne Graham? LOL!

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I don't think Bell goes anywhere. I for one tire of ANY player whining about "long term security" for some new deal when they can make $14.5 MILLION guaranteed under the tag for ONE season. There is no such thing as "long term security" for any NFL player just because they sign a long term deal. There's only guaranteed money, your health and performance. Long term contracts tend to have less guaranteed money unless you're an established QB, LT or CB, and not too old, either. Even then there is so much money on the table if they cut you during that deal.

If I played at the highest level in the NFL I would WANT the franchise tag every year. It's guaranteed money and you're paid as if you're at the very top of your position across the league. Remember when we tagged Shayne Graham? LOL!

Bell just turned down a 70mil offer with 33mil guaranteed. I for one think that was foolish.  If he plays under the tag this year and gets hurt he just pissed away 19 mil.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Bell just turned down a 70mil offer with 33mil guaranteed. I for one think that was foolish.  If he plays under the tag this year and gets hurt he just pissed away 19 mil.

Didn't hear that but if so, yeah, stupid. $33mil guaranteed (no matter the contract length) is still better than $14.5mil guaranteed under the tag.

8 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Didn't hear that but if so, yeah, stupid. $33mil guaranteed (no matter the contract length) is still better than $14.5mil guaranteed under the tag.

My guess is he is gone.   The reported Stealer's deal was a good one and they won't offer the same next year.  The cold hard fact is RB is not where you sink 33 mil in guaranteed money.  If Pittsburgh wants to do that, be my guest.  Lesean McCoy's numbers are similar to Bell's and played on a way worse team.  McCoy is making half what Bell is.  Pittsburgh's offer was WAY over the top compared to what other top RBs are making.   Bell is an idiot.   I wish he would have taken that deal, would have hurt Pittsburgh in other areas.  Just ask the Ravens what happens when you overpay a player(Flacco).   Flacco is still counting  $28.75 mil toward the cap.     BTW, do you know who the 10th highest paid RB will be this year?  Rex Burkhead at $4.3 mil.

When will the experts come out and admit that the stealers are heading for trouble. They couldn't sign Bell and won't. I don't blame them, but they're still stuck with an over-rated lame duck head case at RB. They have a QB that could die yet again a couple of times this season. And when will anybody admit that they thought they were drafting the other Edmonds in the first round? Instead of an ILB that would replace Shazier, they got a 3-4 round projected safety. The Bengals and many other teams would've been destroyed by draft analysis if they did the same thing.

This isn't just wishful thinking, the stealers will struggle to finish 8-8 this season. Mark it.

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

My guess is he is gone.   The reported Stealer's deal was a good one and they won't offer the same next year.  The cold hard fact is RB is not where you sink 33 mil in guaranteed money.  If Pittsburgh wants to do that, be my guest.  Lesean McCoy's numbers are similar to Bell's and played on a way worse team.  McCoy is making half what Bell is.  Pittsburgh's offer was WAY over the top compared to what other top RBs are making.   Bell is an idiot.   I wish he would have taken that deal, would have hurt Pittsburgh in other areas.  Just ask the Ravens what happens when you overpay a player(Flacco).   BTW, do you know who the 10th highest paid RB will be this year?  Rex Burkhead at $4.3 mil.

But can you think of a team that will give him what he wants? If the stealers are smart, they'll trade him. Get something out of him.

3 minutes ago, Hooky said:

When will the experts come out and admit that the stealers are heading for trouble. They couldn't sign Bell and won't. I don't blame them, but they're still stuck with an over-rated lame duck head case at RB. They have a QB that could die yet again a couple of times this season. And when will anybody admit that they thought they were drafting the other Edmonds in the first round? Instead of an ILB that would replace Shazier, they got a 3-4 round projected safety. The Bengals and many other teams would've been destroyed by draft analysis if they did the same thing.

This isn't just wishful thinking, the stealers will struggle to finish 8-8 this season. Mark it.

But that is just Stillier Football!!!

44 minutes ago, Hooky said:

But can you think of a team that will give him what he wants? If the stealers are smart, they'll trade him. Get something out of him.

No, not a smart one.  However, there are some really stupid owners and GMs out there.    The Browns prove it every year.   A good example today is the Toronto Raptors just traded away an excellent player in DeMar DeRozan, a guy they had locked up thru 2021 for Kawhi Leonard on a 1 year deal.  The same Leonard that has proclaimed loud and clear that he wants to play in LA.   Leonard is never going to sign a long term deal to live in Toronto 8 months out of the year once this 1 year stint is over.    What does it get Toronto?  Maybe they win 2 playoff series?  Then what?

9 hours ago, Hooky said:

When will the experts come out and admit that the stealers are heading for trouble?

They already have, at least, if you count bleacherreport as an "expert".

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786143-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-steelers-may-regret-leveon-bell-contract-duel

If you read the article and look at his stats, they're pretty eye-popping. In no way is Bell overrated, but he's still looking for way too much money in an NFL market that just isn't paying big bucks to RB's these days. Him skipping training camp and possibly sitting out the season after three games would be great for us. If he does that, he's a selfish douche for doing that to his teammates...not that I really care.

38 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

They already have, at least, if you count bleacherreport as an "expert".

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786143-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-Stealers-may-regret-leveon-bell-contract-duel

If you read the article and look at his stats, they're pretty eye-popping. In no way is Bell overrated, but he's still looking for way too much money in an NFL market that just isn't paying big bucks to RB's these days. Him skipping training camp and possibly sitting out the season after three games would be great for us. If he does that, he's a selfish douche for doing that to his teammates...not that I really care.

Shittburgh was greatly exposed in the playoffs last year as an undisciplined team, when they played Jacksonville. The more this charade gose on, the more confident that I am in believing that the end maybe near for Stealers as Ben gets old and the locker is slowly but surely falling apart.

I'm torn on whether Bell not signing long term is good or bad for Pittsburgh.  He's definitely a top RB and one of the most productive in the NFL.  He's also one failed test from another suspension.  Signing him to a big contract would further complicate the Stealers cap situation too.  Not signing him frees up money to spend on defense.  Running backs seem to be back in favor and good ones have been plentiful in recent drafts.  Bottom line, I expect Bell to leave after this year and somebody will overpay for his services.  I also doubt he will be worth it or play out the entire deal.

4 hours ago, bigboi said:

Shittburgh was greatly exposed in the playoffs last year as an undisciplined team, when they played Jacksonville. The more this charade gose on, the more confident that I am in believing that the end maybe near for Stealers as Ben gets old and the locker is slowly but surely falling apart.

I do agree to an extent. They looked really vulnerable, but that was against an elite defense. Wasn't that game at Heinz though? Anyway, Ben is getting creaky, Bell might sit out (I don't think he will) and as to their other best weapon, Antonio Brown, well...we seem to have an answer for that in WJIII.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm torn on whether Bell not signing long term is good or bad for Pittsburgh.  He's definitely a top RB and one of the most productive in the NFL.  He's also one failed test from another suspension.  Signing him to a big contract would further complicate the Stealers cap situation too.  Not signing him frees up money to spend on defense.  Running backs seem to be back in favor and good ones have been plentiful in recent drafts.  Bottom line, I expect Bell to leave after this year and somebody will overpay for his services.  I also doubt he will be worth it or play out the entire deal.

As the article I quoted states, it's unlikely that Bell will allow the Steelers to saddle him with 400 carries ever again, and if they do, they'll be using him up. He's an old 26 with the abuse he's already endured, and as we have all seen, RB's that get abused in that manner fall off the deep end pretty rapidly once all that damage starts to set in. No matter whom signs him after this season, presuming he plays out the tag, if they sign him long-term, like you say, I don't expect him to make it through another long term contract. I mean, he could be the next Emmet Smith, but how many guys played the position as long as Smith? A small handful in the history of the game?

Archived