SHOCKER: Bengals reportedly only see themselves spending $15 million in free agency

I wonder if they could extend Dennard and actually bring his cap number down? Give him 3 years, $21m or something with a lot of it being guaranteed and I wonder if he'd take that for financial security or if he's OK with the 1 year payday + getting to hit free agency next offseason.

34 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I wonder if they could extend Dennard and actually bring his cap number down? Give him 3 years, $21m or something with a lot of it being guaranteed and I wonder if he'd take that for financial security or if he's OK with the 1 year payday + getting to hit free agency next offseason.

That's a smart idea that will not happen, given that MB hates dead money and prefers to front load cap hits.  It's frustrating to watch the Stealers use cap moves that we would never try, like converting salaries into bonuses to create space when they need it.  

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That's a smart idea that will not happen, given that MB hates dead money and prefers to front load cap hits.  It's frustrating to watch the Stealers use cap moves that we would never try, like converting salaries into bonuses to create space when they need it.  

Well there wouldn't be any dead money to worry about if they could come to a long term contract with Dennard. He's currently sitting on an $8.5m option that doesn't fully guarantee until the season starts. I know the frontloading would cause an issue but they could just have an even contract where it pays out around $7m per year each season and give him the stability of the first couple being guaranteed.

Luckily we don't really have any "bad" contracts that we need to mess with to create more space, but it's definitely frustrating to watch us do nothing. Letting Pacman look for work elsewhere was a step in the right direction but it's going to be hilarious when we end up bringing him back and Hobson writes an article about how we "got creative in free agency" by bringing Adam Jones and Bodine back and then signing a shitty vet LB that doesn't fit our system.

On 3/12/2018 at 10:11 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Nah you're 100% reading his statement incorrectly.

I put important parts in bold.

1. He said each, so he didn't say them together.

2. He used the number of $26m (aka $13m x 2) to add to the $15m we're going to spend to get to the cap number. That means he was adding $13m per player to the cap even though they're already on the books for $17m total. That would make Geno and Dunlap total $43m toward our 2018 cap. That's not happening my man.

If he didn't mean they would get $13m MORE he wouldn't have added it into the cap figure. That part alone shows what he meant and why he is a person that gets fooled by Hobson-math.

I did confuse myself there.il admit that.  But we should have resigned Geno Atkins already and we're idiots that we haven't.... He's making 10 million right now. We could probably sign him for maybe a 3 year 40 million dollar deal. Right now. We wait? Suh is gonna get about 16-18 million. Donald? Probabkly right around 20. Geno's gonna want that type of money. And Dunlap is looking to get a better contract than everson Griffen got. Which was a 4 year 58 million. He'll probably want about 15-16 per year. So yes I was wrong...  Bit now we're talking about cutting players to fit under the cap and idk why. 

6 hours ago, Jpoore said:

I did confuse myself there.il admit that.  But we should have resigned Geno Atkins already and we're idiots that we haven't.... He's making 10 million right now. We could probably sign him for maybe a 3 year 40 million dollar deal. Right now. We wait? Suh is gonna get about 16-18 million. Donald? Probabkly right around 20. Geno's gonna want that type of money. And Dunlap is looking to get a better contract than everson Griffen got. Which was a 4 year 58 million. He'll probably want about 15-16 per year. So yes I was wrong...  Bit now we're talking about cutting players to fit unde 

rthe cap and idk why. 

One thing you have to consider is that Dunlap and Atkins have agents that realize what you just stated and they're not going to sign any extension until those deals are done. A team can't make a player sign an extension. 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

One thing you have to consider is that Dunlap and Atkins have agents that realize what you just stated and they're not going to sign any extension until those deals are done. A team can't make a player sign an extension. 

Oh yeah they can. You just bring in the big muscle (like Huber) to make them an offer they can't refuse.

Archived