Bengals Trade for Cordy Glenn!!!!

I'm happy with this move. Solid 28 year old proven player to move in to one of the biggest areas of need. I wasn't falling in love with too many players at #12. Getting Glenn, who is tied up for the next three years at a reasonable rate and still picking in the early 20's...I'm all good. Better than good. The injury is slightly concerning but, at his age, I am confident.

If Glenn is healthy and plays to the level he has in the past when healthy, the Bengals come out winners in this trade.  O-line is our biggest need and LT is the most important position on the line.  If we can fix that position for minimal cost then it's a win.  The Bengals kept the same number of picks and only moved down nine spots in the 1st.  Glenn will be 29 this year and his contract is not outrageous at around $10 million per year.  He just needs to stay healthy which is a legit question mark. 

Reports: Bengals make big (6-5, 345, $30M) move

Posted 56 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

According to published reports the Bengals made a stunning trade Monday when they acquired their starting left tackle in exchange for the Bills’ 21st pick in the first round. The deal for Cordy Glenn gave Buffalo the 12th pick that belonged to Cincinnati and hits the Bengals with an $11.25 million salary cap hit for this season.

But when the trade is made official, possibly as early as Wednesday and as late as Friday, they’ll also have the 28-year-old Glenn for the next three seasons at 30 million and have solved their left tackle problem, relegating Cedric Ogbuehi to a back-up role. The 6-5, 345-pound Glenn has 77 NFL starts since the Bills acquired him in the second round out of Georgia in 2012. He played just six games after being sidelined with ankle surgery this past season.

Glenn is the second starting tackle they’ve acquired in the last month. They signed Giants starting tackle Bobby Hart to a one-year deal on Valentine’s Day, so it probably means that right tackle Andre Smith is no longer in their free agency plans.

In fact, Glenn’s monstrous cap hit may eliminate the Bengals from re-upping some of their own free agents. It’s believed they had devoted about $15 million to that task, although centerRussell Bodine and tight end Tyler Eifert look to still be on the radar. But can they fit now? Before the Glenn deal they were also going to effort cornerback Adam Jones, long-time punterKevin Huber, and defensive lineman Chris Smith but all deals look to be a work in progress as they crunch Glenn’s numbers.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is quite pleased with the deal and he reports so are the raft of Georgia guys that played with Glenn, such as defensive tackle Geno Atkins, wide receiverA.J. Green, and left guard Clint Boling.

“He’s been a solid player for a long time. An excellent start," Lewis said. “That was the top priority coming in and it’s a very good day for us.”

In fact, Boling played left tackle while Glenn played next to him at guard during their time in Athens.

“He definitely makes our team better,” Boling said. “He’s a good player. They don’t pay you that kind of money if you’re not a good player. He’s got long arms and he’s a big guy. Big guy. And he moves well for a guy that size. Good guy. Real quiet. Just comes in and goes about his business.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Reports-Bengals-make-big-6-5-345-30M-move/f8cb4b9a-f645-47bc-81fd-73a1874ca589?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Lol OK Geoff 

Are you saying it doesn't?  We don't like that we see Hobson as an apologist for the Bengals cap strategies, but is he wrong?  Is that not how the Bengals do things?  We want them to get creative with contracts, but we know they don't.

Just now, Jason said:

Are you saying it doesn't?  We don't like that we see Hobson as an apologist for the Bengals cap strategies, but is he wrong?  Is that not how the Bengals do things?  We want them to get creative with contracts, but we know they don't.

This means we aren't going to sign a high priced outside UFA. This is our big outside of the org acquisition. 

This changes nothing as far as Geno or Carlos are concerned. 

The reality of the situation is that through Hobson, Mike Brown is very transparent as far as where money is being allocated each offseason. 

Every year there are separate piles of money that Mikey is very specific in where they go. 

Hobson has already made it clear that Glenn's cap hit is coming out of the UFA fund and not the extension fund. 

I'd worry about Dunlap and Atkins if the Bengals surprise everyone by also signing a Jensen or Norwell sized contract in free agency but we all know that's not happening. Everyone better like Glenn because he's our big time acquisition this year and we aren't getting another one. 

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Minus guys still playing on their rookie contracts, we have a QB with the lowest annual salary (Besides Tyrod Taylor).

The cap goes up every year. Yet we don't have money to extend players already under contract or re-sign players

we lost? I call bullfuckingshit

Monday, March 12

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truecin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Trade: Bills deal LT Cordy Glenn to Bengals

Grade for Bills: B+
Grade for Bengals: B

Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane refuses to stop in his attempt to hoard as many draft picks as possible, presumably to trade up for a new quarterback. Now he might not need to make a deal at all. By unloading a player he didn't want in Glenn and swapping a fifth-round pick for one in the sixth, Beane was able to move his top draft pick up from the 21st selection to the 12th pick.

The quarterback Beane wants might still be on the board at 12. He also can hold on to a fair amount of his pick haul; if Beane wants to move up for the third pick, as an example, the Jimmy Johnson chart says the Bills would only need to deal their two first-round picks and the third-rounder they just got from the Browns.

At the same time, it's fair to wonder whether the Bills should have been this aggressive to move on from an above-average left tackle in the prime of his career. Glenn's extension was massive at the time, but the Bengals are acquiring Glenn with three years and $30 million left on his deal. That's not an awful contract by any means, and while the Bills were impressed with rookie Dion Dawkins last season, Buffalo could have kept Glenn on the left side and installed Dawkins as an upgrade overJordan Mills at right tackle. Their new quarterback might have appreciated having Glenn around.

As for the Bengals, their offense was sunk by a dismal offensive line last season. The move to push overmatched right tackle Cedric Ogbuehi to the left side as a replacement for Andrew Whitworth was disastrous, and they couldn't run behind that line in 2018. Glenn should be a massive upgrade at a major position of need.

By the Johnson chart, the draft picks cancel out to essentially value Glenn as worth the 51st overall pick in the draft, a pick in the middle of the second round. In making this move, though, the Bengals are essentially saying they don't trust their ability to develop a left tackle, given that they could easily have drafted a tackle at 12 themselves. After last year, it would be difficult to disagree with them.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

Thanks to two teams options, his contract essentially amounts to three, rolling one-year deals. If Glenn’s recent injury history gets worse or the team decides it didn’t work out, they can move on without any dead money. They could do the same thing following the 2019 season without taking any financial hit.

Also, his cap numbers are very manageable for a top left tackle in 2019 and 2020, at $9.3M and $9.5M, respectively.

Manageable cap numbers and no dead money to exit if it goes sideways equal a desirable deal for the Bengals.

Consider New England’s Nate Solder, the best option available in free agency, is expected to fetch a contract in the area of Andrew Whitworth’s $13M per year this week. The three years, $30M the Bengals face on this deal pay Glenn as the 14th highest compensated left tackle in the NFL. If Glenn can stay healthy – he missed 15 games the last two seasons with an ankle and foot ailments – he has performed at a much higher level than that.

Pro Football Focus graded Glenn in the mid-80s overall every year from 2013-16. His grade dipped amid injury in his five games played last year.

• Year: Overall / Run Block / Pass Block
  • 2013: 84.1 / 81.7 / 83.7
  • 2014: 82.3 / 77.3 / 84
  • 2015: 85.3 / 79.1 / 86.1
  • 2016: 82.8 / 76.7 / 85

Those are top tier numbers for an offensive tackle. Those are astronomical compared to those posted by Cedric Ogbuehi, Andre Smith and Jake Fisher the past two seasons.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/12/bengals-trade-cordy-glenn-ripples-down-offensive-line-draft-and-contracts/418487002/

Three thoughts on the Bengals trading for Cordy Glenn

On today’s Locked on Bengals podcast, I discussed the offseason and why the Bengals had to be aggressive in free agency. I also said they needed to trade for established players. A few hours later they traded for Buffalo Bills left tackle Cordy Glenn. Here are my thoughts on the Bengals trade:

1. Mike Brown stepped out of his comfort zone! – How many times have we said the Bengals don’t make splashy moves in the offseason? Just when you thought it was going to be business as usual, they trade for a pro bowl caliber left tackle. Glenn is under contract for three more seasons. He will make $11.3 million in 2018, $9.3 million in 2019 and $9.5 million in 2020. He has had some injury issues, but the Bengals could cut him after the 2018 season and wouldn’t owe him any money. Brown deserves credit where credit is due. This is a weak draft class for first round offensive tackles. There’s one very good left tackle expected to hit free agency – Nate Solder, who’s expected to command $12-13 million per year and is three years older than Glenn. The Bengals take on salary, but it’s a reasonable amount  compared to high end free agent left tackles.

2. The Bengals might’ve traded back anyway. – Based on who I’ve talked to about the 2018 draft class, I expected the Bengals to trade back and take an offensive tackle in the first round. They traded back today and they know who their starting left tackle is in 2018. Instead of hoping a rookie can step in and perform, they get a proven player who can help them now. The Bengals traded the No. 12 pick and the No. 190 pick to the Bills for Glenn, the No. 21 pick and the No. 158 pick in April’s draft.

Moving back nine spots changes things some, but clearly they felt like they could get a quality player at that position. It puts them in a spot to take the best player available. Maybe that’s a center like James Daniels from Iowa or a guard like Isaiah Wynn from Georgia. They could and should also consider other positions. I expect them to look at linebacker and maybe even quarterback. I know they believe in Andy Dalton, but they need a backup quarterback. Would it shock you if Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen or another high end quarterback fell to the 21st pick? The Bengals added an established player on an offensive line that was desperate. They did so without losing any picks and gave themselves more flexibility in the draft. Glenn was great for Buffalo from 2013-2016 – he did deal with a few injuries last season that kept him off the field and hurt his overall grade.

3. Could the Bengals turn a weakness into a strength? The Bengals now have two established pieces on their offensive line – Glenn and Clint Boling. They have plenty of cap space and should consider adding a right tackle and/or a center in free agency. Cameron Fleming from New England and Chris Hubbard from Pittsburgh should be on their radar. They’re both expected to hit free agency. I wrote about them in my offseason plan. They could also consider trading for Ja’Wuan James, who is in the final year of his contract with Miami. Adding veteran left and right tackles in their prime would do wonders for the Bengals in 2018. It would also give them plenty of flexibility in the draft.

This draft is deep at center and at guard. They should be able to get a starting center with one of their two picks in the third round. It’s hard to completely overhaul an offensive line in one offseason, but if they were willing to trade for Glenn, then they may be willing to go all in to improve the line.

I will have more on Glenn, trade reaction and what’s next for the team on Tuesday’s Locked on Bengals podcast.

The Bengals should call the Browns about trading for a former first round pick.

Thoughts on the Bengals declining Adam Jones’ option.

https://www.lockedonbengals.com/bengals/three-thoughts-on-the-bengals-trading-for-cordy-glenn/

hmmmmm - I love the plan but I have to admit the injury history makes me nervous. If healthy, we nailed it.

Any news on his injury history? I know it was a foot but any update?

I wonder if this trade is hinged on passing a physical?

I have to say, I was getting a little excited about the two linebackers mocked to us but if this works, we're a world better.

Archived