Bengals Trade for Cordy Glenn!!!!

1 minute ago, HOF dan said:

hmmmmm - I love the plan but I have to admit the injury history makes me nervous. If healthy, we nailed it.

Any news on his injury history? I know it was a foot but any update?

I wonder if this trade is hinged on passing a physical?

I have to say, I was getting a little excited about the two linebackers mocked to us but if this works, we're a world better.

He had successful surgery in January. 

Bills LT Cordy Glenn (foot) is on track for OTAs.

Glenn spent the final five weeks on IR with lingering foot/ankle issues. There's rumblings Buffalo could move on from him, but Glenn should be healthy for the start of their offseason program. Glenn has three years and $23M remaining on his contract.

Source: buffalobills.com
Jan 19 - 6:24 PM

Essentially this trade allows the Bengals to get a starting LT and G or C (or potentially LB, DE or DT) for the price of their first round pick. Can't beat that. Still leaves lots of meat on the bone to re-sign Huber and re-up Atkins and/or Dunlap too. Let Bodine walk. Let's move on. If they can fit Eifert in, great. If not, you're up Tyler Kroft.

Updated article ...

Reports: Bengals make big (6-5, 345, $30M) move

Posted 2 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

031218-gleen-cordy-art.jpg

Suddenly, Cordy Glenn gives them an NFL-reliable left tackle.

Eric Wood, the Elder High School grad who centered the Buffalo offensive line for the past decade, has the lowdown on the newest Bengal. A couple of  hours after news broke Monday that the Bengals had traded for left tackle Cordy Glenn, Wood gave his hometown a scouting report on his old left tackle with the Bills.

“They just got them a good player. Cordy is a rare, great big strong guy that’s athletic. He can anchor the left side of the line,” said Wood, who retired after this season. “He’s very athletic for his size.  It got to the point with our game plans we knew we wouldn’t have to worry about the defensive end because we knew Cordy had them.”

The Bengals can’t make the deal official until Wednesday, yet according to published reports they not only met their biggest need on the team with one of the more reliable left tackles in the league but they also opened up a vista for the draft when they swapped first-round picks for Glenn and took the Bills’ 21st pick. With what’s left of Glenn’s three-year, $30 million deal now in the fold, the world is their oyster at No. 21.

Center? According to Scout’s Inc., via ESPN.com, there are two of them rated between Nos. 24-30 on the big board with Iowa’s James Daniels and Ohio State’s Billy Price. Guard? There are three between 22 and 32 with UTEPP’s Will Hernandez, Texas’ Connor Williams, and Georgia’s Isaiah Wynn. Pass rusher?  Texas-San Antonio’s Marcus Davenport is ranked 16th and Boston College’s Harold Landry is 33rd. Defensive tackles? Alabama’s Da’Ron Payne is 15th and Florida’s Taven Bryan is 21.

Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin not only got his team out of the dreaded 12th hole (too low for an impact player and too high to meet the left tackle need), he also converted a sixth-rounder into a mid-fifth in the No. 158 range that has yieded them AJ McCarron (164),C.J. Uzomah (157), Christian Westerman (161) and Jake Elliott(153) in the last four drafts. The trade also gives them three fifth-rounders.

But the big name Monday is the big man himself who is just big period. At 6-5, 345 pounds, Glenn commands the big salary cap count with $11.75 million this year. A second-round pick of the Bills in 2012 out of Georgia, Glenn hasn’t finished below No. 25 in the profootballfocus.com tackle rankings from 2013-2016 with a high of No. 8 in 2015. He played just six games last season when bone spurs hobbled his ankle and he underwent surgery. He also missed five games in '16.

With the trade apparently consummated, that would indicate he’s passed inspection somewhere. With 77 solid games under his belt, Glenn gives quarterback Andy Dalton comfort on his blindside he didn’t have last season when Andrew Whitworth went to the Rams. Now Glenn, who doesn’t turn 29 until the second week of the season, is a building block for a unit that is being rehabbed by new offensive line coach Frank Pollack.  

Glenn is the second starting tackle they’ve acquired in the last month before free agency even opens Wednesday. They signed Giants right tackle Bobby Hart to a one-year deal on Valentine’s Day, so it looks like right tackle Andre Smith is no longer in their free agency plans.

01021817-wood-eric-art.jpg

Cincinnati's own, former Bills center Eric Wood: Glenn 'a stand-up guy.'

“He’s been a solid player for a long time. An excellent start,” said head coach Marvin Lewis of Glenn. “That was the top priority coming in and it’s a very good day for us.”

Lewis has been here before. It harkens back to April 9, 2004, when the Bengals also traded down in the first round. Then it was from 17 to 24 with Denver for former first-round cornerback Deltha O’Neal. The next year O’Neal went to the Pro Bowl when he set the Bengals’ interception record with 10. The Bengals also picked up a fourth-rounder that day and that turned out to be Georgia defensive end Robert Geathers, a Bengals’ staple for more than a decade.

“I talked to the other Georgia guys and they’re excited about him,” Lewis said of guys that played with Glenn like wide receiver A.J. Green, left guard Clint Boling and defensive tackle Geno Atkins.

In fact, Boling played left tackle while Glenn played next to him at guard during their time in Athens.

“He definitely makes our team better,” Boling said. “He’s a good player. They don’t pay you that kind of money if you’re not a good player. He’s got long arms and he’s a big guy. Big guy. And he moves well for a guy that size. Good guy. Real quiet. Just comes in and goes about his business.”

Glenn’s monstrous cap hit may eliminate the Bengals from re-upping many of their own free agents. It’s believed they had devoted about $15 million to that task, although centerRussell Bodine and tight end Tyler Eifert look to still be on the radar. But can they fit now? Before the Glenn deal they were also going to effort cornerback Adam Jones, long-time punterKevin Huber, and defensive lineman Chris Smith. But all deals look to be a work in progress as they crunch Glenn’s numbers

Wood knows the Bills liked how well rookie Dion Dawkins filled in for Glenn. But he also thinks Glenn has plenty left.

“You know how this league is,” Wood said. “It would have been nice having two left tackles on your team, but we’re all assets. He’s a real good dude. He goes about his business and doesn’t say much. He’s a stand-up guy, a real quality guy. He’ll never embarrass you. Cordy is a guy I’ll always root for.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Reports-Bengals-make-big-6-5-345-30M-move/f8cb4b9a-f645-47bc-81fd-73a1874ca589?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

22 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Both Dehner and Hobknob have mentioned the possibility that Bodine may walk and I couldn't be happier to hear it.  Getting James Daniels or Billy Price in the draft would be my dream scenario.  Daniels is one of my favorite players in this draft.

20 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Both Dehner and Hobknob have mentioned the possibility that Bodine may walk and I couldn't be happier to hear it.  Getting James Daniels or Billy Price in the draft would be my dream scenario.  Daniels is one of my favorite players in this draft.

That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm thinking the same thing.

When I first read this I was upset that the Bengals would be giving up on James/Smith/Vea/the other linebacker, Edmunds (my fave).

Wait and see at 21.  A slider or a top notch Center (Billy Price, please ... but Daniels or Ragnow later would be peachy, too)

Now, do NOT fuck it up and take the Louisville Akili Smith clone.

A couple mocks have James sliding... doubt it but I can always dream.

I like the move.  I'd love to see them follow it with cutting Bodine free, not waste the space on him & take a comp pick instead and then take Price to compete with Johnson, Westerman & Redmon for the starting C spot.

Starters?
OC Billy Price
OG Clint Boling
OG Alex Redmond
OT Cordie Glenn
OT Jake Fisher / Bobby Hart

Reserves
OC TJ Johnson
OG Christian Westerman
OG Trey Hopkins
OG Oni Omoile
OT Justin Murray
OT Kent Perkins
OT Javarius Leamon

Gone
OC Russell Bodine
OT Cedric Ogbuehi
OT Andre Smith
OT Eric Winston

I'd also spend a 3rd or a 4th on a young RT & a 5th on the best OL available.  I'd also consider bringing in a vet FA OT for camp depth if a target of opportunity pops up.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

From the things I’ve read people seem to think James Daniels will be a pro bowl center from Day 1. If that’s true an he’s on the board I don’t see how we can pass him up. 

He's an Ohio guy as well, I would love for the Bengals to get him in the draft.

As for Glenn, I will reserve my excitement until he's able to play, trading for injured players isn't something I think is a good idea.

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Reports: Bengals make big (6-5, 345, $30M) move

Posted 56 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

According to published reports the Bengals made a stunning trade Monday when they acquired their starting left tackle in exchange for the Bills’ 21st pick in the first round. The deal for Cordy Glenn gave Buffalo the 12th pick that belonged to Cincinnati and hits the Bengals with an $11.25 million salary cap hit for this season.

But when the trade is made official, possibly as early as Wednesday and as late as Friday, they’ll also have the 28-year-old Glenn for the next three seasons at 30 million and have solved their left tackle problem, relegating Cedric Ogbuehi to a back-up role. The 6-5, 345-pound Glenn has 77 NFL starts since the Bills acquired him in the second round out of Georgia in 2012. He played just six games after being sidelined with ankle surgery this past season.

Glenn is the second starting tackle they’ve acquired in the last month. They signed Giants starting tackle Bobby Hart to a one-year deal on Valentine’s Day, so it probably means that right tackle Andre Smith is no longer in their free agency plans.

In fact, Glenn’s monstrous cap hit may eliminate the Bengals from re-upping some of their own free agents. It’s believed they had devoted about $15 million to that task, although centerRussell Bodine and tight end Tyler Eifert look to still be on the radar. But can they fit now? Before the Glenn deal they were also going to effort cornerback Adam Jones, long-time punterKevin Huber, and defensive lineman Chris Smith but all deals look to be a work in progress as they crunch Glenn’s numbers.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is quite pleased with the deal and he reports so are the raft of Georgia guys that played with Glenn, such as defensive tackle Geno Atkins, wide receiverA.J. Green, and left guard Clint Boling.

“He’s been a solid player for a long time. An excellent start," Lewis said. “That was the top priority coming in and it’s a very good day for us.”

In fact, Boling played left tackle while Glenn played next to him at guard during their time in Athens.

“He definitely makes our team better,” Boling said. “He’s a good player. They don’t pay you that kind of money if you’re not a good player. He’s got long arms and he’s a big guy. Big guy. And he moves well for a guy that size. Good guy. Real quiet. Just comes in and goes about his business.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Reports-Bengals-make-big-6-5-345-30M-move/f8cb4b9a-f645-47bc-81fd-73a1874ca589?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Unnecessary drama on Hobnob's part as usual.  We should have enough to Re-up Huber & Smith & even Eifert if they can get a low-end, incentive-laden deal while cutting Bodine & Jones loose (which is what they should've been planning all along).  I just hope they did the medical due diligence on Glenn and got it right.

17 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He's an Ohio guy as well, I would love for the Bengals to get him in the draft.

As for Glenn, I will reserve my excitement until he's able to play, trading for injured players isn't something I think is a good idea.

One other thing to consider is that Westerman or especially Redmond may be able to push for one of those interior positions.  I'd love Price or Daniels @ C or Wynn @ OG with 21 and a swing guy at OT in the 3rd or 4th that can can develop and is versatile enough to help at either Left or Right Tackle

8 hours ago, snarkster said:

I like the move.  I'd love to see them follow it with cutting Bodine free, not waste the space on him & take a comp pick instead and then take Price to compete with Johnson, Westerman & Redmon for the starting C spot.

8 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

From the things I’ve read people seem to think James Daniels will be a pro bowl center from Day 1. If that’s true an he’s on the board I don’t see how we can pass him up. 

As much as I like Price, I'm done with drafting injured guys in 1.  I want Daniels.

I wouldn't be upset with McGlinchey at 21 either.  He's the best run blocking tackle in this draft and put him at RT and he could be great there.

I will admit defeat in regards to my prediction that there wouldn't be any major changes at OT. Even if they do nothing else, they've already made a huge step. Plus it's a sign that they are doing things differently already this off-season.

And IMHO, they robbed the Bills blind. Though they should've just gave him to us in exchange for giving them  their playoff bid. 12 to 21 for the way the Bengals draft is not a big deal. They'll get one of their first round guys at 21. And they bumped their 6th round pick to the 5th. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I dont get the Billy Price round 1 piece. He was already falling and then tore a pec. 

I don't know that he was falling before the injury and he's only out 4 months. Ready for training camp. 

Still think he's a late first-rounder. Especially with recent OSU interior OL having so much success in the NFL. 

35 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I will admit defeat in regards to my prediction that there wouldn't be any major changes at OT. Even if they do nothing else, they've already made a huge step. Plus it's a sign that they are doing things differently already this off-season.

And IMHO, they robbed the Bills blind. Though they should've just gave him to us in exchange for giving them  their playoff bid. 12 to 21 for the way the Bengals draft is not a big deal. They'll get one of their first round guys at 21. And they bumped their 6th round pick to the 5th. 

Trade seemed fair to both teams IMO. Love it from Bengals perspective. 

Bills are all-in on getting up into the top 3 for one of the top quarterback prospects. They haven't had a QB since Jim Kelly and new GM is smartly making it his #1 priority. Getting from 21 to 12 makes it a lot easier to put a package together with a team like Indianapolis.

Plus, I think Buffalo knows it needs a total rebuild (they're hoping it's around a 21-year old franchise QB). Teams are getting smarter about trying to lessen their payroll in the early years of a rebuild, so they can carry forward the savings to when they're ready to compete and go out and get some top FAs. Jacksonville made that model work. From Bills perspective, not only do they get the draft capital they need to get their QB, they save $30M on an older player that they can push forward a year or two to when they are ready to compete. 

2 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Trade seemed fair to both teams IMO. Love it from Bengals perspective. 

Bills are all-in on getting up into the top 3 for one of the top quarterback prospects. They haven't had a QB since Jim Kelly and new GM is smartly making it his #1 priority. Getting from 21 to 12 makes it a lot easier to put a package together with a team like Indianapolis.

Plus, I think Buffalo knows it needs a total rebuild (they're hoping it's around a 21-year old franchise QB). Teams are getting smarter about trying to lessen their payroll in the early years of a rebuild, so they can carry forward the savings to when they're ready to compete and go out and get some top FAs. Jacksonville made that model work. From Bills perspective, not only do they get the draft capital they need to get their QB, they save $30M on an older player that they can push forward a year or two to when they are ready to compete. 

Plus Buffalo has (well, had) 3 OTs that they like so it was a no brainer to move one of them and Glenn's salary + injury made it an easy choice for them.

If we get 2015 Cordy Glenn then our OL just went from awful to actually good.

If we get 2017 Cordy Glenn...whoops!

I was digesting this last night and was (also) lamenting the lost opportunity of grabbing an exceptional linebacker. It didn't occur to me until this morning that they are right in the crosshairs of a center upgrade. I'm starting to get a big grin as I think about a real good O-line and Mixon / Gio in the backfield.

After a few more sips of kool-aid, I can see John Ross lighting 'em up and Eifort being healthy for 16 games.

1 hour ago, HOF dan said:

I was digesting this last night and was (also) lamenting the lost opportunity of grabbing an exceptional linebacker. It didn't occur to me until this morning that they are right in the crosshairs of a center upgrade. I'm starting to get a big grin as I think about a real good O-line and Mixon / Gio in the backfield.

After a few more sips of kool-aid, I can see John Ross lighting 'em up and Eifort being healthy for 16 games.

Let’s not go off the deep end now. :lol: 

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Plus Buffalo has (well, had) 3 OTs that they like so it was a no brainer to move one of them and Glenn's salary + injury made it an easy choice for them.

If we get 2015 Cordy Glenn then our OL just went from awful to actually good.

If we get 2017 Cordy Glenn...whoops!

This.

It's not without risk which is why I don't think Ced O is let go, but if that risk pays off we end up having a very good LT.

Big men with foot issues are never a good thing though.

I'm hoping it's just a weight issue and that dropping some lbs and becoming more athletic fixes it.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This.

It's not without risk which is why I don't think Ced O is let go, but if that risk pays off we end up having a very good LT.

Big men with foot issues are never a good thing though.

I'm hoping it's just a weight issue and that dropping some lbs and becoming more athletic fixes it.

If his foot thing is an issue and he ends up being ineffective, Mike Brown might not make another big trade for a long time. Even more reason to cross our fingers that he stays healthy. 

The Antonio Bryant fiasco scared them off of high-dollar outside FAs for a long time.

37 minutes ago, happyrid said:

If his foot thing is an issue and he ends up being ineffective, Mike Brown might not make another big trade for a long time. Even more reason to cross our fingers that he stays healthy. 

The Antonio Bryant fiasco scared them off of high-dollar outside FAs for a long time.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. Antwan Odom probably haunts as well.

Archived