Bengals Trade for Cordy Glenn!!!!

Athletic gifting

Posted 10 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

031318-glenn-gordy-art-2.jpg

Cordy Glenn got his big man athleticism from his basketball-playing dad.

Cordy Glenn Sr., who once covered Moses Malone when Dominique Wilkins didn’t want to during an all-star game in Atlanta’s high powered pro-am basketball league, gave himself the biggest assignment of all. After he first gifted his athleticism to the big kid.

When it came to raising Cordy Glenn Jr., who on Wednesday officially becomes the newest Bengal, he admits he pushed him. Hard enough that the old Ragin’ Cajun chose not to let his son play basketball his sophomore year at Atlanta’s Riverdale High School after a bad report card. Well enough that Senior can remember spanking him maybe only once or twice.

“I drove him. I really drove him hard. I never let him get away with anything,” Senior says Tuesday from Atlanta.  “I wanted him to go further than I did. I didn’t want him to make the same mistakes that I did. I guess that’s why I was pretty hard on him.”

Neither Cordy has made many mistakes. If you want to know about the newest Bengal, meet the guy with the same name in Baltimore two years ago at the dinner for the Ed Block Courage Award where father is watching son accept the award for the Bills.  It might as well have been all those years ago on the south side of Atlanta during one of Cordy’s soccer games.

“We had him in everything. Soccer. Tee ball. Football. Basketball,” Senior is saying, keeping him busy and happy. “He didn’t play football until the eighth grade. I wanted him to play before that, but his mother didn’t. He was about 10 years old and got hit in the shin and he was lying on the soccer field and I told him, ‘Get your you know what up and play ball.’ After the game he said, ‘You know Dad, I was hurting. Why did you make me play?’ I said, ‘You’ve got to be tough.’”

Never mind that this was a season after the fact. Never mind that Glenn missed nearly all of 2014 training camp with a mystery illness. Never mind that he was in the lineup for Opening Day and played 98.5 percent of the snaps that season before missing only a handful of snaps the next season, too.

How tough is that?

Never mind all that. In announcing the award a year-and-a-half later, then Bills head coach Rex Ryan casually mentioned Glenn had overcome a “kidney issue.”  Glenn didn’t want to talk about it, but he did confirm it. He had the kidney removed.

“It was tough. I’m sure tougher on him than us, but as a parent, it was tough,” Senior says. “But everybody was there. Me. His mother. His sister. His girlfriend. I’m sure the coaches didn’t like that he missed all that practice time, but he did what he had to do.”

The kid has shrugged. It’s in the past, he said then, preferring not discuss it. Just like now he’s talking about the Bengals instead of the Bills after Buffalo traded him to Cincinnati Monday for what amounts to the 12th pick.

031318-glenn-gordy-art.jpg

Cordy Glenn: man of few words but many moves.

“He’s always been quiet. I have to make him talk some times. I keep on calling to get him to talk,” Cordy Glenn Sr., says.  “Sometimes I’d wonder, ‘Am I putting him in too much sports and not letting him enjoy childhood? I think it worked out OK.”

OK enough that Glenn, the big athletic left tackle they have missed during the 368 days since Andrew Whitworth left in free agency, lights up when he talks about his 61-year-old dad.

“That’s where I get my athletic ability,” he says. “He and Andrew Toney are best friends.”

For another generation, Toney is the old 76ers guard who so consistently murdered the Bird-McHale-Parish Big Three Celtics that the Boston writers nicknamed him, “The Boston Strangler.” In the late ‘70s, Toney and Cordy Glenn Sr., were credited with bringing Southwestern Louisiana (now Louisiana-Lafayette) back from the NCAA death penalty with the 1976-77 Southland Conference championship in just three brief seasons.

“They had a Mr. Alabama (Toney), Mr. Florida (Dion Rainey) and a Mr. Louisiana (Wayne Julien). I thought that was a pretty good cast,” says Glenn, who was pretty good himself as Mr. JUCO, a junior college All-American who led his league in scoring and rebounding at Pratt Community College in Pratt, Kan.

A 6-5, 215-pound power forward, Glenn led the title  team in rebounds with 8.4 per game and was second in scoring to Toney with 15.6 points per. There were basketball lessons he wanted Cordy Jr. to learn.

Athletic lessons.

“His first football game against Jonesboro, I knew he was going to be a football player right then,” Glenn says. “He played both offense and defense for Kendrick Middle School and he had three sacks. He wanted to stop playing basketball and just play football, but I wanted him to keep playing basketball. I thought it was good for his footwork and it helped him stay in shape all year.”

Watch the 6-5, 345-pound Glenn move. There is some Basketball Jones in there.

031218-gleen-cordy-art.jpg

Toney would go on to NBA glory. Cordy Glenn Sr. got a visit from Knicks general manager Willis Reed (“I like your game”) but not a contract. He did get offers from overseas. Australia. England.

“I turned them down three or four times,” Glenn says. “I was just burned out. I’d been playing basketball since I was eight. I’d had enough.”

So he went back to the south side of Atlanta, where he’s now retired from a job in health care after raising a boy and a girl with his wife, a state employee.

But he found out he wasn’t that burnt out. Up until he was almost 40 he played in the rough-and-tumble Atlanta summer game, playing against guys like Doc Rivers, Gerald Wilkins and other Atlanta Hawks. Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas also got down there a few times. Clyde Drexler often made it.

“I got (Dominique) when he was young,” Glenn says. “He didn’t have that outside shot, so all I did was make sure he didn’t get around the basket because he jumped so high. I just put a body on him to keep him from the basket.”

Then there was the all-star game in Macon he was playing with Dominique and Wilkins didn’t want any part of the 6-11, 260-pound Malone. “I’m not covering him. Let Cordy cover him,” he said. “Do you want to cover Mo?”

Glenn told him, “No problem, I’ll cover Moses,” and he did. Long enough to say Moses is the best he ever played.

“Physical, strong, whew,” Glenn says almost under his breath. “I did OK. He scored a few points, I scored a couple of times. He scored more than I did. I did OK.”

There were other lessons there. He admits there are regrets he didn’t keep playing.

“I do,” he says. “I have a few regrets. Everybody thought I played pro ball because I could really compete … Everybody said I should have went out for somebody because I was pretty competitive.”

But Senior converted. Junior went further. All the way now up Pick 12 and the Bengals in one of the league’s block-buster deals for 2018. Here is what the father says Cincinnati is getting:

“They’re getting a pretty good player. He hates to lose. He’s always been that way. He doesn’t like to lose. He’ll do everything in his will to win.”

The Bengals don’t need the son to cover Moses. But helping them part AFC North defenses would be a good start.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Athletic-gifting-/0b9a0cf2-a01c-4f4c-90f0-7b48288ae953?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So is our roster.

:rsju31uh9:

If he had played a full season recently, or wasn't really expensive, I would be thrilled.  

He's 28. At a position where players do well into their mid-30s or even later. The price tag he carries is slightly less than what Whit went for at age 35. And while the injury thing is a gamble, he's had the surgery and is supposed to be field ready by May. So, I guess I see no good reason to just shit on this? Other than to keep being that guy who shits on everything? I miss the old t-dub, I guess. 

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So is our roster.

:rsju31uh9:

If he had played a full season recently, or wasn't really expensive, I would be thrilled.  

He was one of the best LT in the game for a few years until 2017. He's not "really expensive" either if you compare him to new LT contracts.

The injury scares me because of the specific type of injury that it was on a big boy like Glenn, but this was a really solid move by the Bengals FO if you consider he has $0 dead money after this season. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but this was our absolute best (realistic) option as far as getting a GOOD LT goes, and isn't that what we all wanted this offseason? Solder is/was good but he just got paid like a mofo, guys coming out of the draft are a total crapshoot, what else did you want us to do?

After seeing all of the details and considering all of our other options I can't see how anyone can complain about this.

Here are his PFF numbers if you're into that stuff. In 2015 he allowed 1 single sack while playing 98.5% of their O snaps.

2t5h0ww5gel01.jpg

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said in a news release that the trade for Cordy Glenn was part of the offseason focus on the offensive line. “We are excited to acquire a player who has been an accomplished starting tackle in the league," Lewis said. "Cordy is young and proven, and he’s excited about being here.”

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017609-4

Just now, westside bengal said:

What happens to their other star left tackle oogie boogie?

Backup. 

His dead money for this year is so close to what his cap hit is it would be pointless to cut him. Keep him around for another year as a backup and see if Pollack can somehow make magic happen with him. 

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

He was one of the best LT in the game for a few years until 2017. He's not "really expensive" either if you compare him to new LT contracts.

Healthy LT contracts.  He hasn't played a 16 game season since 2015.  We bet last season on "Hope our LT rehabs well" and lost badly, so I'm not so thrilled with doubling down on that strategy.  Maybe they will draft another quality OT prospect or two, that would make me reconsider, but I suspect this is more excuse to keep going with "skill" players in the early rounds.  Seems pretty dumb to hang the entire franchise's future on one man's broken foot, but here we are..  

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Healthy LT contracts.  He hasn't played a 16 game season since 2015.  We bet last season on "Hope our LT rehabs well" and lost badly, so I'm not so thrilled with doubling down on that strategy.  Maybe they will draft another quality OT prospect or two, that would make me reconsider, but I suspect this is more excuse to keep going with "skill" players in the early rounds.  Seems pretty dumb to hang the entire franchise's future on one man's broken foot, but here we are..  

Are you fucking kidding me...REALLY? How many years in a row have we sat and watched this team do absolutely nothing to address glaring problems and needs? Do you post this shit from a jail house and was the gang a bit rough on you last night? You should be doing back flips over this maneuver by an otherwise "never give a shit" front office. This not only solidifies our OLT needs with a stud quality player at a bargain price, it also maneuvers us down in the draft's sweet spot...where we can address a whole assortment of other needs in a BPA outlook. This is the best off season move this franchise has made in memory, yet you're crying like a little girl for some reason? Dude, get a grip on just how good this was. We were slated to start Ogbuehi next season, with the hopes that Pollack would sprinkle some sort of magic dust on him!

38 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Are you fucking kidding me...REALLY? How many years in a row have we sat and watched this team do absolutely nothing to address glaring problems and needs? Do you post this shit from a jail house and was the gang a bit rough on you last night? You should be doing back flips over this maneuver by an otherwise "never give a shit" front office. This not only solidifies our OLT needs with a stud quality player at a bargain price, it also maneuvers us down in the draft's sweet spot...where we can address a whole assortment of other needs in a BPA outlook. This is the best off season move this franchise has made in memory, yet you're crying like a little girl for some reason? Dude, get a grip on just how good this was. We were slated to start Ogbuehi next season, with the hopes that Pollack would sprinkle some sort of magic dust on him!

image.jpeg.4f8a51f39dc58ccc9c7b4d5b4e3fa296.jpeg

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Related image

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

He is the reason they make sand paper dildos. Just needs to be butt hurt about something. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Come on man, you have to realize the difference here.

Last year we bet on "hope our dog shit tier LT rehabs well AND learns how to play football" vs the current situation.

This is entirely different than drafting an injured, project tackle who wasn't even good in college. Cordy Glenn is a proven professional that plays at the highest level in the NFL and the only similarity is that he's also coming off an injury. Dozens of great players go to IR every year, if teams refused to depend on guys coming off IR to start there wouldn't be an NFL anymore. You gotta give the FO credit for this one, it's a good move.

I think it's fair to reserve final judgment on the trade until Glenn proves he's healthy and stays that way.  If he can't do that, it's all for naught.  I will give the team credit for making a big move to address a major weakness even if it's not guaranteed to pan out.  In doing so, they are acknowledging their mistakes with Ced/Fisher, no small feat for a notoriously stubborn and patient front office.  Personally, I think betting on a veteran with experience is smarter than hoping for the best with developing another rookie.  I also don't believe the trade has any impact on the draft or taking an o-lineman in the first round.  If anything they might feel more comfortable taking one at #21 based on value than at #12.

If it was March 1 2017, last year and the Bills approached the Bengals and asked....

Will you trade your healthy, top 3 ranked LT Andrew Whitworth and move 9 spots lower in the 2018 draft and we will give you Cordy Glenn and a 5th round comp pick in return?....How many would make that trade?

In effect that is what they did. 

At face value the Glenn trade looks good.  They had nothing and had to get something.  OK, I get that.  But it's the Bengal's "strategic thought process" going back to last year that concerns me. 

Archived